1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite Sci-fi melee weapons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Billybob-Mario

Billybob-Mario Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How about a rocket drill/fist? When you use it, it sends you shooting towards whatever you're aiming at with a giant, rocket-powered drill/fist?

Skydis likes this.
  2. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

Uhh..... Rocket powered chainsaw?

Outworld Devourer likes this.
  3. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

Lightsaber cheese knife.

The cheese it slices would be inedible, but the enemies it slays would be many.

4. Vespers

Vespers Pangalactic Porcupine

Ohh how about the Stun club from Ape escape !
    - Maybe even the net as well.

5. HIVEMIND

HIVEMIND Aquatic Astronaut

It would make my decade if you would add some sort plasma trident! Also, bayonets anyone?

6. Mitchell

Mitchell Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok this may be op but I'll throw it in anyways... a crowbar. So advanced that it could beat an entire alien race coming to take over earth as well as zombies. Lol anyways for real would probably be something like predators spear. Just to veer away from lasers and stuff.
    [​IMG] P.S. How do i make a spoiler to hide images?

ewan91 and Axe Garian like this.
  7. SomeJerk231

SomeJerk231 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Some form of futuristic defibrillator for a weapon would be amazing.

8. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

The Death Star?

nababoo likes this.
  9. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

That's a ranged weapon, not a melee one.

Squiddy, Tester383 and zooey like this.
  10. LoftyAnchor

LoftyAnchor Pangalactic Porcupine

Not if you bash people's skulls in with it.

Squiddy, Ghard0157, Ard Galen and 6 others like this.
  11. Idenar Bwargh

Idenar Bwargh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Large one handed swords will satisfy me.

12. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Hmmm, indeed... [​IMG] well, not if they just rammed it into another planet... so, a giant wrecking ball? But that's not sci-fi. Yeah, just add some neon LED strips of light along... it'll be fine.

ewan91 likes this.
  13. The Treasure Ship

The Treasure Ship Void-Bound Voyager

Biological/organic weaponry is a personal favourite. Augmented claws and jaws, flesh eating bacteria, and of course that most classic of appendages, the tentacle. As an attachable 'symbiotic creature', these and more would make for delightful melee carnage. Who wouldn't want to eat a robot with their Cthulhu-face-tendrils?

Chain swords and crazy, and impractical, but it's hard to beat their cool factor. Their best known appearance is probably in Warhammer 40K, and from that same universe, the various claws and power fists turn any combat into a most visceral affair.

Squiddy, blind sniper and Toady like this.
  14. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Why not put in some of the ones users make?
    [​IMG]

Who wouldn't want that sword?

You know, "Design a weapon for SB" would be a pretty fun contest.

15. Lugubrious

Lugubrious Scruffy Nerf-Herder

STACK - i would prefer a sword that does little to no immediate damage, say 10 damage. but for thirty seconds after it does a three damage per second. what is better, the effect stacks, so if you hit them once at 0:00, they will be at 10 damage
    0:00=10 dmg
    0:01=13 dmg
    0:02=16 dmg
    0:03(hit again)=29 dmg
    0:04=35 dmg
    and so on and so on. each thirty second stack damage is unique, so a mob could have three or four separate stacks on them at the same time. and one could wear off while three remain until their individual timer hits zero.

my second idea for a sword is one that would build up a multiplier in the top right and when pressed it would either charge the next swing, it would heal you, or it would make an AOE blast on screen, or a shield that would take away a percentage of damage. each hit builds 1-3 in the top right and the - healing/AOE blast damage/charged swing damage times three/percentage of damage reduced for ten seconds - would be the number that you build up in the top right. (there could be a number of sub-religions on a certain planet and each one defends a certain one of these swords.

both of these would require a tough amount of coding, but these items would be worth it to own. Tiy, i will try to make pixel art for them if you think these may be possible and want my idea of what they should look like.

Ghard0157 likes this.
  16. Mikey

Mikey Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about old tech weapons, like basic iron swords or just a spear? Fish bone sword [​IMG]

WhiteMousse likes this.
  17. The Treasure Ship

The Treasure Ship Void-Bound Voyager

There are plenty of generic, real world weapons I would love to see make it into the game. Scythes, halberds, and pole arms in general, to touch the proverbial tip of a very bloody iceberg. Originally I intended to avoid suggesting any of these since they weren't strictly fantastic in their function, but It doesn't hurt to make sure the Devs get our message!

To keep on subject however, they would have to be altered in some significant, futuristic way. Plasma and laser versions of these weapons seem obvious enough to warrant no discussion. Instead, imagine weapons that take an about face; weapons far removed from the near weightlessness heat and photonics imply. Weapons crafted from incredibly dense materials that require other specialized gear to use them at all. More difficult to use than a plasma blade for sure, but with similar penetration, and effective against targets with energy resistance.

Taking a hint from Dead Space, repurposed construction and demolition tools are great fun. Imagine, if you will, a large haft with a wildly spinning rotary saw on the end. Bliss.

Eevachu and Meow-kitty like this.
  18. Altenix

Altenix Void-Bound Voyager

Ivy's Snake Sword from Soul Calibur. It's a sword that can extend, turning it into a bladed whip.

Pit's Bow in SSBB. It shoots an arrow that can be directed and it splits in half to be used as dual blades.

19. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

Light saber preferably with purple as a color option

Maos likes this.
  20. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like to see a variety of fun blunt weapons. Similar to the Stun Club from Ape Escape as another poster mentioned earlier. Or how about batons? Telescopic metallic batons?

Bombzero likes this.