Modding Help Need help fixing my coding so the mod loads into the game

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by limitdistortion, Jan 2, 2023.

1. limitdistortion

limitdistortion Phantasmal Quasar

I'm in need of coding help for a cosmetic and weapon mod, I've tried to understand what I need to do but I'm too clueless to make it actually functional. I'd like someone to look through the files and to help me make them functional as intended. Within the folder are some references as to what I'd like these files to look like (cosmetic) and for the weapon, I believe there is something wrong with it's coding that makes the game unable to run. Please don't redistribute these files without my permission and I appreciate anyone who can lend a helping hand in making this mod playable. I would also like to make his "collapsing star roaring cannon" attack with the "Erchius Eye" item but like the transparent fist weapon, I don't know how to edit the coding properly to function with the png...

Attached Files:

2. Rezetrx

Rezetrx Void-Bound Voyager

This should be fixed now.
    I adjusted the names of your armor pieces and renamed the files for a better overview. The normal ones are just "boros"+slot (head/chest/legs) and the meteoric ones are "meteoricburstboros"+(head/chest/legs) -> boroschest, meteoricburstboroschest.
    For your fists, you changed the "script" to "uppercut.lua". This should remain "Fist.lua" as in there is the mechanic of fists. "Upercut.lua" is referenced in the "uppercut.combofinisher" which you correctly load under "comboFInisherSource".

Attached Files:

3. limitdistortion

Thank you so much for the help so far Rezetrx, I may need a bit more of your help though since testing the fixed files the borosfist weapon became a perfectly generic item, and all the cosmetics became transparent and have no icons. I hate to ask for help again but I do appreciate it.

4. Rezetrx

Could you send your starbound.log?
    Its a bit difficult to imagine what the problem could now be, as i tested the changed files and it all worked.

5. limitdistortion

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2023
  6. Rezetrx

Did some small adjustments, though I think a big problem for your game at the moment is that you have a lot of leftover stuff from mods you probably uninstalled. Like your log file is filled with errors and references to items that are probably not there anymore.
    I'd suggest you first clean up your universe folder before and afterwards test the files again.

The errors you got from the mod (your boros mod) are referring to missing files, though all those files should be present.

I'll try my best to assist you until it all works.

Attached Files:

7. limitdistortion

-

Thank you so much Rezetrx, uninstalling and reinstalling after deleting/unsubscribing from the other mods did the trick. I was wondering if I could ask for a little bit more help though in adjusting the arm positions some parts seemed off and I don't know if I should move the actual pixel art within the png to adjust this or if it is a coding thing?

The back arm is perfect but the front arm seems to be to far forward only in these above frames while running and jumping (but the last frame of jumping shown in screenshot ten has almost perfect alignment I think I'd just move it down 1-2 pixels and right 1-2 pixels).

Attached Files:

8. Rezetrx

Id say, move em in the texture map until its to your liking.

9. limitdistortion

Just gotta make sure first before I edit anything but this is the texture map right? And thank you so much for the help!

Attached Files:

10. Rezetrx

Yup that's the texture map.
    It's always a pleasure helping out others.

limitdistortion likes this.
  11. limitdistortion

This mod couldn't have been made possible without your help I appreciate it a lot : D https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/newly-revised-boros-mod.6230/

I also have one final question since I don't know how I would do it at all but I'd like to try and turn the "Erchius Eye" weapon to his laser attack but I don't know where I can locate all the files needed to make a weapon for it using those assets, as well I'd like to make the eye that the character holds invisible changing the arms frames in the process as well as changing out the beams animation frames (I have the new laser png on hand) for larger png's.

12. Rezetrx

So you want to create a beam attack (Boros ultimate move I suspect)?
    The files for the Erhcius eye would be under:
    -> weapon and animations: unpacked\items\active\weapons\bossdrop\erchiuseye
    -> primary ability script (weaponabiltiy): unpacked\items\active\weapons\ranged\abilities\erchiusbeam
    -> base script for beam (drawable): unpacked\items\active\effects\laserbeam.lua

13. limitdistortion

Thank you so much Rezetrx, and yes the ultimate move for boros : D do you know how big the beam can be or is there a limit to the size?

I'm not entirely sure but I did make the animations for it, it is about 4500 wide and 250 pixels tall... but it has all the animation frames fitted into the png itself. I'm not sure which folder it would go into nor how the coding would search it either. That said I think it would be best if it cycled through the animation frames once, consuming all the player's energy as it goes through each frame and doing a set amount of dmg per second as it cycles through said frames.

Attached Files:

14. Rezetrx

First off, that beam looks amazing.

About the scripting and such, it depends on how you want it to be. Should it be a charge up then a short burst or do you want a sustained laser until time/energy runs out? (maybe health cost, idk ;P)

Here an example of the former burst. (1.5s charge up then 1s laser that ticks every 0.05s)

Attached Files:

15. limitdistortion

Thanks! I think a charge-up would fit perfectly the 1.5 seconds would work but maybe prolong the laser to 2-3 seconds (prolonging it as much as possible without it looking weird) and like you mentioned I think losing some health like 15% or something would be nice alongside 50% or even 100% energy consumption. Also changing the arms to look like they are bent I think would help the pose look more natural.

I think the 3rd arm for running (for front arm), and the 3rd arm for jumping (back arm) would work best together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  16. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@limitdistortion Please don't stack posts. Use the edit feature or wait for someone else to reply first.

17. limitdistortion

Sorry about that I'll be sure to not do that again in the future.

Pangaea likes this.