Tool Starbound Workshop Easy Linker - 'SWEL'

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ledhead, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Ledhead

Ledhead Phantasmal Quasar

Starbound Workshop Easy Linker

I Present SWEL
    [​IMG]

What is SWEL?
    This is a really simple-to-use batch script that can do two simple but otherwise time-consuming tasks for you!

It Can!
    Make physical copies of your mods from the workshop content folder into your server's mods directory.
    Symbolically link the workshop mods into your server's mod directory.

:kitten2:The choice is up to you! :kitten2:

Features
    :confirm: Automated Symbolic Linking of Mods
    :confirm: Safely Physically Copy Mods
    :confirm: NO manual renaming of files required (files will take the name of the mod ID for easy comparison)
    :confirm: Network Resume Compatible (useful if you are using it over a mapped network drive)
    :confirm: Customisation is easy with a well-commented source code
    :confirm: No Installation Required
    :confirm: Easy to use Menu Prompt

How to Use
    For most of you - download and run the tool in administrator mode (not just admin account)
    This is required for the MKlink functionality.

For those of you who operate dedicated servers and or Starbound in a non-default location, you will need to make two easy changes on lines 18 and 19 more specifically

SET SteamAppsDir=%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Steam\steamapps
    SET DediServerModDir=%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods

Change the value after the equals symbol to the path you need for your configuration.

:yoda: :paper:Source Available - Provided by PasteBin
    :nurunega: Steam Platform Guide - Provided by Steam Community
    :coffee: Virus Scanned - Provided by Virus Total

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Windtalkers, Cyel and The | Suit like this.
  2. BuleCurger

BuleCurger Void-Bound Voyager

Where does it copy the mods to?

3. Ledhead

What ever you have
    Code:
    SET DediServerModDir=%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods
    path configured too.

4. BuleCurger

BuleCurger Void-Bound Voyager

How would I go about extracting and/or opening the .pak files? Sorry, i'm a bit new to this.

5. Ledhead

There a plenty guides about this in other threads which are also sticky topics, I won't cover it here sorry.

6. DarklySteamGear

DarklySteamGear Big Damn Hero

boi, your symbolic links dont work for any mod that decides to name their .pak something other then contents.pak i've found. so when it tries to create symbolic links to files such as the ones in penguin piracy and the irken races mod it cannot. line 78 of your batch should be edited to just look for a file with a .pak extension instead of a file called contents.pak :p

7. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

... you do have a valid reason to post that is not considered necroposting, but this thread is almost 2 years old. I don't think its going to be fixed

8. Ledhead

Indeed this was an oversight I was not aware of till last year but never was compelled to actually go do anything about, I suppose I could fix that, I do have a slightly more efficient version of SWEL on my personal machine which is not uploaded I could do more to that and release a new version.

No no, he has a point I just don't come on the forums much now.

9. Astrobia

Astrobia Void-Bound Voyager

If anyone should find themselves in need of that (as I did), until an updated version is posted, you can fix it yourself by editing the file and replacing all the entries of: "contents.pak" with: "*.pak"

Killoli likes this.
  10. grimcreaper

grimcreaper Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would you be able to release the updated version? ive tried Astrobia's work around and it causes instant fails on server startup

11. DocGleb

DocGleb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh man... Today I finished my own similar tool, and as soon as I came to the forum and leafed through the threads labeled "Tool," I found that such a tool already exists! o_0 Do you mind if I post my own analog? :) But okay, I'll do it anyway, don't let it go to waste.
    upload_2022-1-6_4-43-11.png

12. Not_a_bee.

Not_a_bee. Space Hobo

So this is probably necro posting, but I used SWEL to symlink my mods but then after doing that I grabbed another mod that looked useful for the server. So I went to symlink again and it just says "ERROR ERROR" and thats it. I want to update the mod list as I nor my friend can join my server. Any idea on why it won't work?

13. petecis

petecis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found what seems like an easier way. Sharing here as a lot of people seem to use SWEL.bat. But first, thank you phantasmal quasar for Swel.bat which has helped so many of us out.

Here's what I found:

edit the sbinit.config file located in the win64 folder (maybe also edit the win32 one). Do this for both the client and dedicated server.

Add the following to that config file:

It will look like this:
    {
    "assetDirectories" : [
    "..\\assets\\",
    "..\\mods\\"
    ],

add a comma after the mods line and then add this line:
    "..\\..\\..\\workshop\\content\\211820\\"

to make it look like this:
    {
    "assetDirectories" : [
    "..\\assets\\",
    "..\\mods\\",
    "..\\..\\..\\workshop\\content\\211820\\"
    ],

This will make the game or dedicated server load from the steam workshop mods folder

14. Ledhead

Honestly, I had long forgotten I even posted this thread.
    I mainly use the steam guide I posted and forgot about this one.

Your tool looks nice, If I were to write a new tool like this again I would probably have just made a windows store app or PowerShell UI with a number of more powerful methods to symbolic link them and check/ refresh as needed.

Edit
    Since I am here I updated the OP and put up the newer SWEL version that I had only published to Steam at this point along with a link to the Guide and a couple of post corrections.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023