1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Skittles Advanced Template Race Mod 1.5.3

Do you want to create your own race mod with lots of content? Look right here.

1. GuineaPigJones

GuineaPigJones Big Damn Hero

I think I managed to create a new error that I am failing to recreate when I restart the tutorial from scratch but am concerned it will reappear eventually anyways. The game launches fine, but crashes when selecting the race in the charcter creator. The error in the log only says:
    [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (OutOfRangeException)

Log: https://pastebin.com/EyAxaS5m
    .species file: https://pastebin.com/rwERmdZd

The .species file is the only file I have edited so far (after running the .bat).

2. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

Cheers for sending me the log and the species file

Code:
      "altColorAsFacialMaskSubColor" : false,
      "altOptionAsUndyColor" : true,
      "altOptionAsHairColor" : false,
      "altOptionAsFacialMask" : false,
      "bodyColorAsFacialMaskSubColor" : true,
      "hairColorAsBodySubColor" : true,
      "headOptionAsHairColor" : false,
      "headOptionAsFacialhair" : false,
    I've never seen a race with aaaaaaaaaaall of the options written here. I am going to assume this is your problem.

Check out my guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1380289410 go down to "Dissecting the species file" then "Tricky Stuff". There I list what all of that stuff does. Only put in what you need.

3. GuineaPigJones

Setting that back to only the three lines included there originally was the one of my attempts to fix it before coming here. There also used to be a colon in the description at the top and I emptied the hair, shirt, and pants arrays for both genders after receiving the error. Sorry that I forgot to mention previously attempted fixes.

4. DrPvtSkittles

Oh of course, I missed that!

Those can't be empty. If you want no hair, create a blank one, same with shirt and pants.

5. GuineaPigJones

It turns out both answers you gave me were half correct. If you add an option that mentions facial mask or facial hair, you have to add at least one item to those arrays for both genders, even if that item is just "". I also found out that the reason resetting back to the original loadout of those options didn't fix it because I didn't notice that I accidentally destroyed the line for female facial hair group.

6. DrPvtSkittles

7. poweredbyNeon

poweredbyNeon Big Damn Hero

Hey! Two problems:
    1) The little character previews aren't showing up in the character creation screen. The actual images exist, and I checked the species file- it should be grabbing the icons, but it doesn't seem to be. Am I missing something, somewhere?
    2) I'm struggling with the ship. I don't have any idea how to do the mapping, and I'm too afraid to start out of fear of screwing it up. I have a basic idea of how I want the ships to look, but I don't know how make it a reality. Any tips/advice?

8. DrPvtSkittles

Did you use capital letters in your race? Or put the mod into an additional folder?

I do have a guide but I have only briefly mentioned the ship. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1380289410 Custom ships aren't my bag. I will try and answer any questions you have, if what I've written doesn't answer your queries.

9. poweredbyNeon

I think I may have used capitals, yes (edit: i don't think I used capitals when setting up the bat file, though) - and my mod is in a seperate folder, but I uploaded it to Steam for testing for easy install/uninstall.

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out! If something's not covered, I'll pop back here and toss you some of my questions ^^

10. DrPvtSkittles

Did you or didn't you? :p IF you did that would screw up things. In my guide check out:

{Naming your race]
    [Okay now let's really name the race]

Your mod needs to be Starbound\mods\YOURMODNAME. Where it sits in the mod folder, and not in an additional one after that. Also be careful about having the mod, in your mod folder AND being subbed to it. You will crash your game, or at least only one version will load.

11. poweredbyNeon

Is there a way to check if i did? all my files are named with lowercase, so I don't think i did.
    Also, I specifically don't have my mod in my mods folder so that i can sub to it on steam

12. DrPvtSkittles

If your files are in lowercase, then you didn't.

"Also, I specifically don't have my mod in my mods folder so that i can sub to it on steam"

Honestly I would unsub for now, and only have your mod in your mods folder. I don't sub to any of my mods unless I need to check out a problem someone is having.

13. poweredbyNeon

I was doing that for a little while, with the other mod i've made (it seemed a little vain for me to be subbed to my own mod, especially if i've got the actual files)
    but i switch which mods i'm using super often to play with friends, so i like to have the convenience of one button removing any mods i've got, rather than having to move them out of my folder. also, i find it handy to only use it through steam, as it forces me to use the version everyone else is using (although this particular mod is still privated, lol) which helps me remember to upload any updates i've made, so i don't forget to publish bug fixes etc

but anyway, back to the main problems at hand. i read through the guide you posted (pretty helpful!) though the ship part is still leaving me anxious. the actual mapping part is concerning, i don't want to do it wrong and end up with too much or too little space.
    (this part!)
    upload_2020-9-1_17-7-24.png
    for now i'm likely just going to toss a bunch of the base races' ships together and use that until i can fully make my own, but if you've got any other advice, i'd super appreciate it

Attached Files:

14. poweredbyNeon

small update: i think i've figured it out! updates to follow, possibly

15. DrPvtSkittles

Sadly the reason that area of the mod isn't explained as deeply as the rest is because I don't feel I know enough about it. Seeing as though this is your first mod, you could choose one of the vanilla races and use their ship layout (changing the sprites of course).

Each colour on that image you've linked, represents a block of some sort, and that is listed in the blockkey.config. If you were to grab a sprite of the ship and its block version, if you enlarge the block version by 8 it will line up. If that makes sense.

Honestly back up your mod, then just screw around with different tweaking to see what happens. That's the best advice I've got :p

16. DrPvtSkittles

17. Mariotom555

Mariotom555 Intergalactic Tourist

Hello, my mod was crashing the game just before the title screen which i managed to fix, but now if i try selecting my race in the character creation screen the game crashes.
    Here is the log: log - Pastebin.com

Thanks in advance.

18. DrPvtSkittles

Hey

These are the errors in your log

Code:
        Line 407: [14:58:42.742] [Error] Could not apply patch from file /npcs/merchant.npctype.patch in source: D:\SteamLibrary\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\2317374514\contents.pak.  Caused by: (JsonPatchException) Could not apply patch to base. (JsonPatchException) Could not apply operation to base. (TraversalException) No such key 'merchant' in pathApply("/merchant/categories")
        Line 438: [14:58:51.806] [Error] Could not load recipe /recipes/crafting/lathe/B Objects/assemblyterminal.recipe: (ItemException) No such item 'circuitboard'
        Line 442: [14:59:19.830] [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: std::exception: bad allocation
    The first error is in regards to the Grimmkin so I am going to assume that has nothing to do with you.

The 2nd seems to be from Avali Augments And Assorments: Revisited.

Aaaaaand the last one is probs about your mod, but it doesn't really give me much info :wut:

What were you working on last, before your mod started crashing?

19. Mariotom555

Mariotom555 Intergalactic Tourist

I was last working on the species file and the object sprites.

20. DrPvtSkittles

Ah yeah I am going to assume there is something funky in your species file. Either send it to me to look at, or redo the template and move a fresh species file over.