Modding Discussion Help adding npc sprite/portraits?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Scarlet_Katiebug, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Scarlet_Katiebug

Scarlet_Katiebug Seal Broken

can someone help me I've been looking around for answers on this and I literally cannot find anything. Right now i'm working on a mod for stardew where I need to add a new sprite movement to penny. but I don't know how to tell the game how to output this action?

• Eros DkAl

Eros DkAl Pangalactic Porcupine

Are you trying to add or replace sprites?

• Scarlet_Katiebug

Scarlet_Katiebug Seal Broken

add sprites, I already know how to replace spites

• Eros DkAl

Eros DkAl Pangalactic Porcupine

Then, what you need to do is; expand the sprite set of Penny's sprites, add (/draw) the new sprites you want in the empty frames of the extended sprite set, and then add that new sprite set in to the game using Content Patcher. You can only use the custom sprites you added in events or animations that you specify in the schedules (example: Penny walks to a place and when she arrives she stops and makes an animation with the frames of the sprites that you added).

I don't know what exactly you mean by "movement sprite", but if you're trying to add more frames to Penny's walking animation, I'm afraid to tell you it can't be done. (if that's what you're trying to do).

You can also add new portraits by expanding Penny's portraits sprite set and then adding them on the empty frames, and add them to the game using CP. These new portraits can only be used in dialogues and events.