How Many Mods Are People Running With?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aly_firefly, Mar 16, 2020.

1. aly_firefly

aly_firefly Aquatic Astronaut

I'm curious as to how many mods most people are running with. I'm finally getting back to playing again for the first time since the 1.4 update and dealing with catching up on my mods [and inevitably finding new ones] is taking quite a bit of time up. I'm not quite done yet but last I checked I was running at over 200 mods. Which is probably overboard I know, but when I looked online trying to find how many people were running with all I was finding was people saying like 20. Which I thought was rather low... So I wanted to get some more data on where people were at. [Because I'm a Ravenclaw...]

Well. I think I've finished and it's officially at 325. Assuming they all work which might be a stretch...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2020
    • Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please avoid doubleposts after such a short time as they are considered spam. If you want to make additions to your previous post please edit it instead.
      I merged your posts.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not running any. Still having fun with vanilla, haven't found anything I want enough to install SMAPI and learn how to use mods for. Although the Experience Bars mod is tempting...

• ThorfinnS

ThorfinnS Orbital Explorer

Our casual multiplayer game is using 32 or thereabouts.

For my more or less vanilla run, 5 -- SMAPI, Experience Bars, Content Patcher, some darker watered crop content pack (so I cant tell the difference when the screen brightness is turned down, and something that shows the coverage of scarecrows. My laptop also has something that zooms out more, so I can get pretty much the same screen I get with my desktop/

There are a few information-only or cosmetic change mods that I've tried, some of which I would like to see in the basic game, but ended up commenting them out rather than updating them. There was something that put up an icon showing daily luck, so I didn't have to write it on a post-it, because I couldn't remember what I'd seen by the time I went out my front door. There was something showing sprinkler coverage when you held one in-hand. There was one that told what crop and how many days til harvest. Something that made plants ready to harvest a little more distinctive. That's all I can think of right off-hand I'd have liked to see in the game.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

This goes for me too.

Although one that had the birthday reminders on the screen would be super nice, as well as the villager locator one. But in the end I buy the calendar to remind myself daily about the birthday and I only forget to deliver about 1/2 the time. lol.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I've got like... 12 mods. That includes Content Patcher separate from the CPPs I have, which does nothing other than let the CPP's run. Of them, only two have any real mechanical impact. Automate and my personal CPP that I wrote, Customizable Fish Behavior. The rest are stuff like UI Info Suite and Better Artisan Goods (changes the color of the artisan good to match the color of the produce used to create it).

• MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

Just checked, 42 mods, according to smapi. I'll probably get a few more as time goes on, waiting for some to update, etc.

• Cristi

Cristi Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not running any mods. Though I have seriously considered one giving me an elevator in the Skull Cavern. Because it's getting seriously dull never being able to get past the 51st floor. I run as fast as I can, ignore the treasures, ignore the monsters, find ladders almost immediately, and the game gives me 1-3 holes with short drops. Begin at 7 am, pass out at 2 am the next day - and that's on a day with fabulously good luck, with a luck buff. So yeah, I'm thinking of an elevator.

• aly_firefly

Sorry. I haven't really posted on here before. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

• ThorfinnS

Cristi, that's what you do with all that extra stone you have knocking around --craft stairs.

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I had an easier fishing mod for a while but don't use it anymore now that I've gotten the hang of the mini-game.

• Cristi

Cristi Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, but that's just one trip. That's just for the goal of making it to 100. I don't want to spend all my game time breaking rocks so that I can regularly go deep.

• ThorfinnS

By the time you can go deep, rocks are cheap. They are like salad. Something you buy so you can spend more time doing valuable stuff.

Not that I think Skull Cavern is all that great a use of time, anyway. You can only use so much iridium, and once you get a dinosaur egg, you can check that off the list. Crops are better than selling iridium, mostly because of the expense of bombs and explosive ammo.

I do agree that if you like mining it would be nice to have elevators. Maybe every 50 or 100 rather than every 5, but still...

shamaniacal likes this.
                            • aly_firefly

So I guess I'm a bit of an outlier? By the way, I only lost 3 or 4 mods that were acting out, mostly ones that were child to npc mods that I'm not sure are ready quite yet. So I'm running with 323 mods (MissCoriel put out a new music pack today that I couldn't resist adding) without any problems. Starting the game is a little slow but it's not really noticeable once I've actually started playing.

• FickleRhubarb

FickleRhubarb Subatomic Cosmonaut

I only have one mod that I care about—Timespeed (it stops time)—and I avoid using it unless I am stressed out. No fun when game play is stressful. I am mildly interested in darker watered crops.

My best quality of play tool to date is an external PDF calendar I use just like an old-school planner desk/wall calendar https://imgur.com/r/StardewValley/l0CtN. I pasted all the images into a PDF so that I can use all the usual PDF markup tools. I'd be happy to share the PDF.

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No mods, ever, for any game. I fear malware. If the Devs decide a mod is good enough it will get included in an update

• Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand Orbital Explorer

I'm not ready to mod yet as I'm only nearing the end of my second play-through. If I change anything I'll prob go for something that allows some crazy farming expansion. As it is now, my farming is real minimal and posting a pic of my farm would be the least impressive one in that thread. Or a map expansion pack, I've seen some videos of those which look interesting.

• thelastoverseer

thelastoverseer Space Hobo

1. I run 8 mods.
                                      2. Always back up your saves before running mods.
                                      3. I always install mods that enhance the experience but does not change the lore too much.

• sapphires

sapphires Aquatic Astronaut

Last time I checked I had about 90~. I just can't stop finding new things to add or mods that spice things up a bit :) I really like the dialogue expansion mods and the retexture/recolor mods, so those are my most downloaded

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

As a word of caution, don't use raw XNB edits, use Content Patcher instead. It's just a safer, saner (using the programming definition of the term, not the psychological), and overall better way to do the same thing.