Modding Help How to make a monster spawning ability?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Catherine143, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Catherine143

Catherine143 Space Hobo

Is there a tutorial somewhere that can show me how to make a new ability for a custom weapon (ive already made the weapon and its ready to go) but now i want to make a custom ability for it.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

That's a pretty specific uncommon request for their to be any sort of tutorial about it. But here are the tutorials. There is also the basic modding guide and advanced modding guide you can find as downloads within the mods section. You'll need to learn LUA to make it happen. The docs in \starbound\docs\ can help but not til you understand LUA a little. After which you need to check out how weapon abilities work by studying the vanilla assets in /items/active/

3. Catherine143

Catherine143 Space Hobo

Thank you so much! Yeah I figured it was uncommon, I heard Lua was much faster to learn so I'll start working on learning it, thank you again!

4. Teho

Teho Space Spelunker

Here is the code to make a monster spawn from a projectile, put it in "actionOnHit":[ ], or something, I don't know.
    {"action":"spawnmonster", "type":"monsternamehere", "offset":[0,0], "arguments": {"regularmonsterparameters" }
    Usage:
    "projectileParameters": { "actionOnHit": [{ "action": "spawnmonster", "type":"poptop", "offset":[0,0], "arguments":{ "damageTeamType":"friendly", "scale":1.9, "damageTeam":0 }]}
    Example:
    /spawnitem raremachinepistol 1 '{ "primaryAbility": { "projectileType":"fast","projectileParameters": { "actionOnHit": [{ "action": "spawnmonster", "type":"poptop", "offset":[0,0], "arguments":{"damageTeamType":"friendly", "scale":1.9, "damageTeam":0 }]}}}'