A Powergamer's Build Order for your first Spring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Grimgaw

Grimgaw Space Spelunker

Are players who need training rod on their 2nd (nearly) full day of fishing looking up guides on how to min/max spring?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Yep. You'd be surprised how few people I've encountered actually like/enjoy the fishing minigame. There's a reason that easy fishing type mods are some of the most popular on Nexus.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

What percentage catch rate are we thinking?

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I was thinking... if I purchase a single cooper ore from Clint, drop on the ground and catch again, he will come next day to give me the furnace recipe? If yes then we can do it on day 4 if we don't manage to get one cooper ore by digging artfact spots or fishing, having the furnace recipe by day 5 already can speed up a lot of things.

• UnexpectedParole

I have not tried that. But I might tonight to answer your question since I was going to run a test first few days.

I did find though, that using the new 4 player map 's quarry section on day 1 to collect copper will get you a visit from Clint on day one. That was a happy surprise.

How many copper bars do you need on day 6 - and how early ? :)

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was able to run a quick test started a new game v 1.42 and went straight to Clint's and bought one copper. I did not even try the subterfuge of dropping the ore but went straight back to the farm and went to bed. Day 2 Clint was there with the plans for the forge.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, I've seen the "buy one copper" thing work. Basically Clint will just come as soon as you get any copper in your inventory, no matter how. Pretty funny when he says "I hear you've been breaking some rocks and finding ore" and all you did was dig up an artifact spot :p

@Shneekey yeah, it really depends what percentage of fish this hypothetical player is catching. In my experience, if you're catching all the fish at the lake, even without perfects or catfish you should be able to buy the fiberglass rod mid day 3 at the latest.

• UnexpectedParole

Late to the party. I just ran a day 1, bought the copper and dropped it. Also loaded it into a chest and took it back out. Can verify Clint showed up morning day 2.

I have gotten clint to show up from artifact copper and the quarry-like portion of the 4 corner map.
                  But I feel like getting it from fishing failed me the other night.
                  I dunno, maybe I mis-remembered.

-back to fishing. I figure on average 60g per catch base price at the mountain lake. That number has never failed to be a conservative but accurate estimate.

I would assume a catch %, P
                  a cast rate per hour, C
                  a number of hours spent fishing H
                  and multiply by 60 for the mountain lake.

So gold made fishing equals: g=PCHx60 .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
                  • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm, fishing might be different because it goes directly into your inventory instead of going on the ground and being sucked into it? Although I'm not sure why buying from Clint works in that case...
                    Anyways I'm 99% certain that dropping the copper on the ground and picking it back up would have made it work.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Really, I'm just expecting them to catch the bare minimum necessary to get the bundle fish for spring in rain (barring catfish and eel, of course). I'm not 'counting' on them getting much more than that. I'm not really sure how much I could count on it.

I don't see how it would sped things up. He gives you the recipe for a furnace, but doesn't give you one. So you still need the 20 ore to MAKE a furnace, plus the 25 ore to smelt up five copper bars. That's minimum 45 ore obtained to get your axe going as soon as possible. Which you might get on Day 5 (keep in mind you have to detour through the village to unlock the community center, which takes more time), we're still looking at a Day 6 axe upgrade begin, which puts the axe completion on day... 8 or 9? Does that sound about right?

• UnexpectedParole

Ok, I see where you are going with this I think. But you still need an implied catch % to estimate how much time to assign them to fishing to achieve this. And then we can back off how much money they might make from the extra fish. Which is where I thought the original quesiton was going. ?

How much time in the guide to assign to fishing and how much money they can expect to get from it and by when, so that we can calculate how quickly they can afford X, Y, or Z. ?

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

I wouldn't ask a new player to do the extra speed gro. I sometimes skip this myself..

He definitely comes for copper from fishing now, too. However, it' still hard to get enough copper to do anything until Day 5.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that a new player buys 40 strawberries at the festival if they're following a guide. They should also be able to have enough money and ore to upgrade a tool to copper during salmonberry season. I assume you've picked the axe in order to speed up foraging XP? However, I wonder if the pickaxe might be a better bet for first upgrade.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Valid

I'm trying to squeeze in both axe and pick upgrade. Axe upgrade at some point during the second week, pick upgrade during Salmonberry Season.

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

OK, that makes sense.
                              What other expenses are you planning for? 38 potatoes day 6, 40 strawberries day 13, cauli and green bean, backpack? That ought to be fine if days 2, 3 and 4 are mostly fishing, even with the training rod. Though they'll do better if they can switch back to the normal rod at some point.
                              Gems will definitely still net a lot of money on the mining days, even with donating one of each type to the museum. I would advise them to sell high-value gems like diamond since they should be able to get the cauliflower seeds without these.
                              How many mine levels are you targeting each day?

• ShneekeyTheLost

That's actually a new trick. I'm working on a relatively straightforward to consistently do 15-20 levels per day, using the exhaustion mechanic to warp home and thus having more time in the mines themselves. Even with minimal expertise in combat, it should be relatively doable. You hit level 40-60 before salmonberry season, then upgrade to copper pick, then continue to 80. Pick up the fire quartz and start farming gold, unlock the railcarts before the end of spring to facilitate movement, and get at least 20 Quality Sprinklers before the end of the month.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

If you have the recipe in day 5 you can focus in farm ores instead of descent and have the 5 copper bars smelted by day 6, unless if day 5 is the unlucky day, it saves some time to not need to walking into the mines and town all the time but nothing major, if you start upgrading your things by day 6 you will have: days 6-8; 8-10; 10-12; 12-14 and will not waste the festival day.

• UnexpectedParole

I'm going to throw my support behind the idea that you don't push speed gro strawberries for a new player either. 40 strawberries is likely reasonable to expect for purchase. But even asking for the 20 speed gro from the cc is pushing it. 20 from self crafting? That would require 8 copper bars into tappers on the 8th, let alone foraging 3 by then and farming 3 on the 12th. Not to mention 4 clams? That is a lot of searching on the beach and i believe easily missable just on an rng level. Let alone skill / efficiency / timing plan.

Aye, it's hard to do anything until the 5th. But if you can get the 20 copper ores and pop to the top of the mines a farmer can drop in ores to smelt while churning out the rest of the total. Every 5 floors might be able to pop up and get them going. 5 bars for watering can upgrade, or axe, or pick depending on our style is a bid deal. Many ofmy day 6 strats would prefer to have those bars ready at the start of the morning on the 6th.

• tqomins

tqomins Poptop Tamer

@ShneekeyTheLost — Do you have a sense when the new guide might be ready? Now that 1.4 made it to the switch I'm going to start back up with Stardew for the first time in a while, and since the old guide was so helpful I'm looking forward to having the new one to reference. Thanks!

• ShneekeyTheLost

I'm doing some routing to see how viable some of the new tactics actually are, how possible certain strategies can be, as well as trying some other things. I'm wanting to make sure that when I do release it, it will be as good as I can make it. I've been working on it since 1.4 dropped, and these most awesome and excellent folks on the forum have been helping tremendously as well.

As a word of caution, it is being written and designed for the PC version, and you may find certain strategies more difficult with the control configuration that the Switch has.

The highlights are:

* Much higher emphasis on mining and foraging (previous guide mentioned them but never went into detail on them), with new mine diving strategies that I'm still testing that should let even a fairly casual player get 15-20 levels in a day.
                                        * Forest map is now strongly suggested for forage grinding, while before it was suggested either Forest or Vanilla.
                                        * Less dependency on luck/skill for Fishing, with the advent of the Trainer's Rod, leading to a more consistent fishing income overall, with the caveat that some fish needed for bundles will be unavailable with this strategy (namely the catfish and eel).
                                        * Much greater emphasis on early tool upgrades, with axe first then pick during salmonberry season.
                                        * Foraging 4 by Salmonberry Season, Foraging 6-7 before the end of the season. This nets us double salmonberry bush shakes, which gives us the food we'll need to consistently dive in the later half of the season. Doable with early axe upgrade, and large stump grinding.
                                        * As we have a Copper Axe by the beginning of the second week, we can also clear trees much more easily, giving you more room for your tree farm you'll be wanting to plant by Egg Festival, 30x Oak Trees. Right now, I'm working on where to put them, but I'm looking strongly at the green area between your house and the northern exit to the mountains.
                                        * Unlocking the beach bridge by Saturday the 6th for the extra forage, as the tidal pools are reset weekly but are not capped at six forages, giving you some pretty substantial potential profits, depending on how many urchins spawn.
                                        * Get 20 Speed Gro from the Spring Crops bundle completion before Egg Festival by planting 13 parsnips, 1 cauli, and 1 green bean on day one. These go on strawberries. The rest of the strawberries can be planted on fertilizer.
                                        * Instead of getting batches of parsnips for the Quality Crops bundle, I'm avoiding any parsnips after the first day, instead relying on a large batch of Pumpkins in the fall if I wanted a first year bundle completion. This yields better profits and xp gains long-term, and is more energy efficient overall.
                                        * Instead of selling your initial parsnips, one goes to the Spring Crops bundle, and the rest are eaten in your first mine dive for maximum diving. The gold income from selling is trivial compared to what you'll get from the mines.
                                        * Five donations to Gunther before egg festival so you can get the nine cauli harvested in time. Doable if you donate gem/mineral drops from mines. Putting a chest by the minecart in the mine entrance helps you store things without slowing you down much. Downside is you have to return to recover them.
                                        * 20x Quality Sprinklers crafted and down by the end of the season, around a single scarecrow, so that you can hit the ground running in Summer.
                                        * 30x Oak Trees fully grown and tapped by the end of the season (use Tree Fertilizer to top off any recalcitrant saplings) so your Keg production can be up and running in the Summer
                                        * 1x Silo and Coop (and 4x chickens) by end of Spring. Possibly a shed as well. Some mayo machines too.
                                        * 20k or so in your pocket at the end of the month so you can afford your Summer crops. Because what's the point in having all the room to plant if you can't afford crops?

• tqomins

tqomins Poptop Tamer

Fantastic. This should give me some good guidance to start messing around with some Spring trial runs. Thanks so much!