Foraged seaweed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elenna101, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've tried going to the right side of the bridge 4-5 times and haven't seen any seaweed to forage. Is it just rare? Am I just that unlucky?

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Seaweed isn't a forage item. You catch it while fishing in the ocean

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I was pretty sure I read you could forage it in 1.4 change notes, but i have not seen it yet.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

One of the changes in the 1.4 update is that Seaweed is now available as a Tidal Pool forage, but it seems to be very low chance.

Also keep in mind that there's a maximum of 6 items that can spawn as forage in the Tidal Pool, so if there already ARE six items, you need to pick them up (or wait for Sunday) for it to have a chance of spawning.

• JabberwockySR

JabberwockySR Intergalactic Tourist

I’ve foraged one out of 30 or so items over there so far in my current game. It’s certainly not common.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, seaweed can additionally appear as forage now in 1.4, but it's pretty rare. Seems to be about 1/40 chance to spawn going by what's in Beach.DayUpdate().
              It will only spawn on that very southernmost row of sand tiles between the tide pools and the coastline (from 66,24 to 84,24)

• Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

Early on after upgrading to 1.4 I picked up two seaweed at the beach, and thought it would be quite common now. But since then I've barely seen any, so it is indeed quite rare. Which I'm fine with, because I get plenty from fishing, and apart from fish ponds (probably the reason he made that change), it's not like I need it for anything.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I got one on the tidal pool area, I can't say if it is rare as on that save I'm already advanced and I don't go to the beach to forage very much.

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've so far only found one in the summer

• One More Day

Thanks, I did not know this …

… but forage on the tidal pools is not capped at six

Pangaearocks likes this.
                      • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I haven't ever seen more than six items in the Tidal Pool. I believe that's referring to the fact that the Tidal Pool is a separate area and so can have its own allotment of 6 items, separate from the main beach area.

• Pangaearocks

In that case the wiki isn't correct, as it's pretty straightforward in saying the tidal pools can have more than 6 items.

I have never counted, but I'm pretty sure I've picked up more than 6 items there. Will try to pay attention next times I go there.

Edit: Went there on a Friday during Winter. There were 9 items - plus 3 on the 'normal' beach. Probably a coincidence that it was 12 combined.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
                          • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Spawning limits aside, I'm glad to know that I'm not just super unlucky :p

• One More Day

No, the tidal pools are not capped at six. In the same way as you can have more than six spring onions, there can be more than six items over the beach bridge at one time. The wiki is correct, but possibly the wording might need to be improved for clarity

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I can verify two days I pulled 7 items each from the tidal pool areas last night. Not capped at 6.

• Pangaearocks

This has already been cleared up, but just to show it with an image as well. Have already picked up a Coral here, but even so you can see 8 items on screen in the Tidal Pools. In total there were 10 this time.

[​IMG]
                                  [​IMG]