1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.22

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Ive no interest in cosmetic slots for mechs, myself, and view adding it as a waste of time for something i dont care about :) plus cramming more on that UI is just silly. no thanks.

no plans to create planet-making devices, since there is no way to do that.

2. Pop Guy

Pop Guy Void-Bound Voyager

Hi Sayter!
    I state that I would don't tell you how you should balance your game (yes, because the Frackin Universe has more content than the basic game, fantastic!!) but recently I noticed that the solar panels are absolutely sub-optimal and that a player capable to count and make simple sums would never build them, except for pure aesthetics. But I believe that in your intentions the solar panels should be useful, right?
    Now let me show you the question better:
    Let's analyze a level 1 solar panel:
    • Tungsten bar x10
    • Silver bar x10
    • Silicon x25
    • Silicon board x1
    • Copper wire x5
    Produces up to: 3.5W
    Let us now analyze a level 2 solar panel:
    • Level 1 solar panels x2
    • Titanium bar x6
    • Gold bar x10
    • Graphene x4
    • Advanced processors x2
    Produces: 8.5W
    We then analyze a wind turbine:
    • Titanium bar x5
    • Silver bar x5
    • Silicon x12
    Produces: 12W
    A level 2 solar panels is much more expensive than a wind turbine, but produces much less energy, absolutely inconvenient!!
    Not only: two level 1 solar panels produce 7W, while a level 2 solar panel produces just 1.5W more, a misery given the investment of titanium and other useful components.
    But the most useless unity is the solar tower:
    it requires
    • level 2 solar panels x2
    • Zerchesium x10
    • Quietus x10
    • Molecular-nano fibers x4
    • Advance circuit x4
    Produces: 15W
    LESS than the sum of 2 level 2 solar panels. (8.5W + 8.5W = 17W)
    Even the Nocturn Array is absolutely not worth for only 4W (Level 1 solar panels produces 3.5W...), I recommend to completely rework the solar panels ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  3. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

I think he covered this before. They aren't more than a starter for stuff. He intended people to work their way up to the more advanced stuff.

4. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Not like it's stopping anyone from plonking down a solar panel farm in an asteroid belt with many many batteries and then once they're all charged up simply remove them and plug them all into the systems they're meant to power non-stop for literal months. It's very easy to mass produce basic panels and then spamming them along with watchers, etc, into an array that really has no right to exist in the first place due to the absurdity of its location and the stick-like flimsiness of the supporting structures if realism were taken into account for block physics.

It's really easy to get the resources for it too. If you use meta knowledge of the game then farming for the resources become, assuming you don't mind basically obliterating planets by mining every block possible to get what you want. Imagine a library of gene or wall containers filled to the absolute brim with one specific item of nearly every resource in the game after taking apart a mere five or so solar systems.

5. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

I usually use them early on to power a few things. Just depends on how far into building a base I get sometimes. Got lucky one world, had oil for the ocean. Just built generators from the start after getting them unlocked.

6. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

lol. I wish people would shut the hell up about solar.

It isn't intended long-term.

It will *never* be viable end-game.

Solar sucks shit, and should be moved past as soon as possible. Even in the coming power revamp, that wont change. It will remain viable, but exceptionally sub-optimal. If you want to use start-tier stuff till end game, thats what happens :)

7. Pop Guy

Pop Guy Void-Bound Voyager

I didn't know there was a hell on the solar; I'm sorry, maybe you might have had the impression that I wanted to rage, but there was no intention. I don't usually go to the forum and I'm not native English speakers, I didn't know anything.
    The point of the question, in my opinion, is that I don't think anyone will ever build a solar tower again, not even in the early stages of the game, because it produces less than the sum of its parts. I think it should still produce at least more than 17W, otherwise it is useless regardless of the phase of the game where a player is.
    In any case, I'm looking forward to the next update, again congratulations for everything!

8. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

wasnt targetting you at all there, just musing aloud about how everyone expects solar to be a hero, and it is not intended to be. It is suboptimal on purpose so people use *good* types of power instead. This has been a thing for years.

Anyhow, new power revamp adjusts *everything* so you'll see big changes in how power is maintained.

Pop Guy likes this.
  9. matthew57778

matthew57778 Phantasmal Quasar

Vinalisj didn't spawn for me either.

Attached Files:

10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

He works just fine, and has for years.

Firstly, the game is at 1.4.4 now. Update. You have 1.4.1.

Second, you have like 300 mods here. A number are directly incompatible or horribly outdated. You have duplicated asset warnings, several of which are due to having a duplicate of FU installed. You have non-existent quests trying to fire constantly. You have broken scripts in callistans causing errors.

Finally, Manufacturers touch is outdated and no longer compatible with FU, and must be removed.

Basically: all your problems are entirely your own doing. Clean your mod list.

11. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

I wonder if it's possible to build a computer in starbound with the various logic gates we have now.

Is geothermal energy going to be a thing? I don't know how it could be implemented, possibly requiring the station be near the core of a planet with a molten core and having it not work anywhere else except on volcanic worlds. I doubt a physics simulation of dropping water down a mined shaft that is sealed except for the two ends into the molten core and then having it turn to steam to create a steam geyser and then harnessing the energy as it comes back up will work with starbound's engine.

Also are there different levels of wind turbines like the solar panels? It would require a lot of titanium, etc, but bigger wind turbines should totally be possible with starbound's tech level. Possibly a medium and large variant and a slight nerf to the current one.

Pop Guy likes this.
  12. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

13. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Got a Crash To Ship error while exploring the deeper levels of a Rainforest planet. When I checked the log, I found this entry:

[21:01:42.513] [Error] |----------That Dirt material : /tiles/materials/fmud.png is not supported yet!

I left the textures wonky so that you would report it! :D
    [21:01:42.513] [Error] |----------That Rock material : /tiles/materials/fcobblestone.png is not supported yet!

I left the textures wonky so that you would report it! :D
    [21:04:24.494] [Info] Root: Writing runtime configuration to '..\storage\starbound.config'
    [21:04:34.510] [Info] Root: Writing runtime configuration to '..\storage\starbound.config'
    [21:07:24.724] [Info] Root: Writing runtime configuration to '..\storage\starbound.config'
    [21:07:33.570] [Error] WorldServerThread exception caught: (WorldStorageException) WorldStorage generation failed while generating from queue
    [0] 7ff66ac8a213 Star::captureStack
    [1] 7ff66ac88f9e Star::StarException::StarException
    [2] 7ff66ac89088 Star::StarException::StarException
    [3] 7ff66b22d4b0 Star::WorldStorageException::WorldStorageException
    [4] 7ff66b627568 `Star::WorldStorage::generateQueue'::`1'::catch$156
    [5] 7ff8ce401030
    [6] 7ff8ce403298 is_exception_typeof
    [7] 7ff8fabd3cc6 RtlCaptureContext
    [8] 7ff66b230aed Star::WorldStorage::generateQueue
    [9] 7ff66b224788 Star::WorldServer::update
    [10] 7ff66b22a0a6 Star::WorldServerThread::update
    [11] 7ff66b229a8b Star::WorldServerThread::run
    [12] 7ff66ac86d9e Star::ThreadImpl::runThread
    [13] 7ff8fa2a7974 BaseThreadInitThunk
    [14] 7ff8fab9a271 RtlUserThreadStart
    Caused by: (TreasureException) Unknown treasure pool 'scienceoutpostbanner2'
    [0] 7ff66ac8a213 Star::captureStack
    [1] 7ff66ac88f9e Star::StarException::StarException
    [2] 7ff66b10dede Star::TreasureDatabase::createTreasure
    [3] 7ff66b10e62d Star::TreasureDatabase::createTreasure
    [4] 7ff66b10e62d Star::TreasureDatabase::createTreasure
    [5] 7ff66b10e62d Star::TreasureDatabase::createTreasure
    [6] 7ff66b10ebc4 Star::TreasureDatabase::createTreasure
    [7] 7ff66b10f2a6 Star::TreasureDatabase::fillWithTreasure
    [8] 7ff66b29239a Star::ContainerObject::init
    [9] 7ff66b20901e Star::WorldServer::addEntity
    [10] 7ff66b1c2297 Star::WorldGenerator::prepareSector
    [11] 7ff66b1be064 Star::WorldGenerator::generateSectorLevel
    [12] 7ff66b230e20 Star::WorldStorage::generateSectorToLevel
    [13] 7ff66b230aed Star::WorldStorage::generateQueue
    [14] 7ff66b224788 Star::WorldServer::update
    [15] 7ff66b22a0a6 Star::WorldServerThread::update
    [16] 7ff66b229a8b Star::WorldServerThread::run
    [17] 7ff66ac86d9e Star::ThreadImpl::runThread
    [18] 7ff8fa2a7974 BaseThreadInitThunk
    [19] 7ff8fab9a271 RtlUserThreadStart
    [21:07:33.610] [Error] UniverseServer: World CelestialWorld:115538257:5765882:40208561:5 has stopped due to an error
    [21:07:33.610] [Info] UniverseServer: World CelestialWorld:115538257:5765882:40208561:5 shutdown, kicking 1 players to their own ships
    [21:07:33.713] [Info] UniverseServer: Loading client ship world ClientShipWorld:f6e8dc5ebbfa89c4452ccd87ecb37dc0
    [21:07:33.814] [Info] Protected dungeonIds for world set to (65524)
    [21:07:35.388] [Info] UniverseServer: Warping player 1 to ClientShipWorld:f6e8dc5ebbfa89c4452ccd87ecb37dc0

Consider it reported. Since this is a fabricated error, I don't see a reason to provide the rest of the log file.

14. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

no idea wtf those tiles are. Not my issue though so I don't care about them.

The banner thing is an easy fix. ill do that up thanks.

15. TheClydeFrog

TheClydeFrog Space Hobo

Hey Sayter, love what you do and all the work you've put into this. I appreciate your approach to hand-holding in games and push people to explore for themselves. That outlook is pretty clear on the various forums where you have no patience for people who fail to read mod descriptions and seek out their own solutions. Help those who help themselves, right?

Anyway, my question is about updates and compatibility: steam automatically keeps workshop content updated, so do I have to worry about any big changes affecting the state of my game? I don't know how to prevent it from updating, and while I like your taste for balance, I'd prefer that recipes not change mid play-through.

16. Silverbane7

Silverbane7 Pangalactic Porcupine

the only way to avoid auto updates is to manualy install all your mods, or the mods you dont want to update im afraid.
    alternately you can do the same thing, just for the unstable branch, since that cannot use the workshop, and keep an identical setup of workshop versions on your normal starbound.
    though any time the chucklefish folks update the unstable, you have problems. which is why i only allow games to update when i play, so when i see an update i can check whats going on and choose to backup ect befor booting the game.

17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

18. tigerfestival

tigerfestival Cosmic Narwhal

Hey Sayter, it's me again, and another issue seemed to rear it's ugly head, for some odd reason the motherpoptop dies shortly after spawning. I'll upload my log but this error might be the indicator as to what the problem may be.

[05:03:51.972] [Error] Exception while invoking lua function 'update'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/monsters/walkers/adultpoptop/monster.lua"]:153: (StarException) Lua Exception caught resuming action node selectorActions in behavior monster: (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/actions/builders.lua"]:105: (StarException) Lua Exception caught resuming action node supstunned in behavior selectorActions-2024509010848: (LuaException) cannot resume a dead or errored thread

Not sure what it means TBH since I'm a noob when it comes to this sort of thing.

Attached Files:

19. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

yea, thatll happen when you install conflicting mods. Not an FU issue. Whatever it is causing it, it edits monster behavior. Likely Suppers Combat Overhaul. Realistic Life is also conflicting (and outdated, as it was deleted ages back and isnt even available anymore). As is the Enhanced Storage Hoarder Addon.

20. tigerfestival

tigerfestival Cosmic Narwhal

OOF! Thanks for filling me in though, I'll just have to rub the mods out then.