1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Some Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Daikon Ocelot, Aug 8, 2019.

?

Do you like the new stealing system?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Absolutely, no.

59.1%
  3. I don't care. It don't bothers me.

40.9%
  1. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Alright, I think the stealing system in the latest SB version is ridiculous. I mean, c'mon, I am just taking a dirt and sand in the NPC's home vicinity and they tell me that I am stealing? This is ridiculous!

So, that time, I was trying to renovate a lonely NPC house (like the Hylotl house in the island of the ocean planet). Because these are the usual things I like to do when meeting such house (I can't help it, but to renovate it). I know taking their stuff is considered as stealing, so I lock the home owner somewhere near the house, so I can take off their furniture before I can renovate it. As soon as I have finish securing his/her furniture, I free him/her, so he/she can roam around the house freely. And then, I start tearing of their house, its wall, windows, roofs, etc (without any worry, because taking blocks is not considered as stealing in the previous version). But because I don't know about the "new" features (forgive me for that), suddenly, he/she yell at me and start to call on the guards. And then I said, "wait, WHAT?! What did I do wrong? I am just renovating your house, like the other many I did before" And a bunch of Hylotl samurai start to murder me.

Not only that. I think there is another new rule here too, that I don't "KNOW," that state "home owner's, keeper's." No matter for how long I put my stuff (accidentally or intended) in their home area, it become theirs. Now, I can't take back two of my sleeping bag and a campfire, because a selfish Hylotl think it was his/her. This is outrageous! I know the SB version before is not like "that," because it took some times before the home owner considered that stuffs you put in their house as theirs (I said this not only the Hylotl, but the all others races too).

So here, I am just going to say to the devs, please put back the stealing system (or whatever it is called) like before, or better, think of some better solution, that benefits all. Because now, my hobby in renovating NPC's houses is gone. Can you just erase this rule for the lonely NPC's house (like the Hylotl house in the island, the Fenerox house, Agaran house, and many more lonely house out there, NPC's home that is not a settlement)? I mean come on, I am not going to steal their stuff and sell it. Because now, I am scared in visiting them. I don't want to lose all my upgraded crafting table. This new rule is not flexible, and too strict. I mean, I am not bothered if it applies for the settlement, and why not just apply a shield there, like the underwater Hylotl city did. And PLEASE, do not consider block-taking in their settlement as stealing. I don't want to be accused as a thief for just taking some dirt and renovating a house. It's too much.

As for the others. If you feel the same like me, you can help me out here, by stating your dissapointment about it, and hopefully the devs hear it.

Good day!

2. blargsnarf

blargsnarf Pangalactic Porcupine

Until this changes (if it does), make sure to put your crafting stuff down out of their field of view. Put it on a roof or something, they don't seem to mind you taking stuff back if they are far enough away from you.

Wa.luigi.time likes this.
  3. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

They should have added the taking blocks is stealing thing since the start to be honest... They don't act if they don't see the player so you can lock them underground while renovating and free them without showing yourself.

4. Daikon Ocelot

That would be very hard. And... I don't want to risk myself and got chase by the whole village again.

For the least I hope, I just want the block-taking is not considered as stealing. As for the furniture-taking, alright, I think it's fair enough if that's considered as stealing (I mean, of course).

I mean, just think about it, you accidentally take 3 blocks of dirt in the vicinity of a village, then the whole village will accuse you of stealing and start to murder you. That's not fair.

5. DrizzardRatSilentGrove

DrizzardRatSilentGrove Tentacle Wrangler

this. exactly this happened when I first started playing. I was still getting used to the controls, ect, When I tried interacting with an npc, I (unbeknownst to me) had engaged the m.m. and it mined a couple blocks of dirt beneath the npc. To my huge confusion, they all started yelling and shooting. I barely got away. What really sucked was having to dig and use a stupid tunnel to avoid the entire village. grrrr

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  6. Wiranum

Wiranum Subatomic Cosmonaut

Something to fix is rather being a thief for having the weather destroy a house without you touching anything (and even staying far from it). Also the detection is weird. I can destroy a bunch of bottles on a shelf in front of NPCs without getting noticed, but not take a painting from downstairs behind a well ? Ugh

I agree about you placing your own furniture in a village and taking them back then NPCs recognize that as stealing (your own stuff, how ?). This is also true if a biome chest spawns in a dungeon and you mine it.

7. Daikon Ocelot

This is very distressing for me, because building and renovating building for NPC is my favorite. Now on, I have several upgraded workbenches taken prisoner by the Hylotl.

8. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

try and get them when they're not looking > w>
    or uhh crouch for some reason that works for me

9. Daikon Ocelot

I try everything, from locking its owner to sneaking like a ninja. But if that block-taking is still considered as stealing, nope, I can't do anything.

10. Catherine Franz

Wait, if they go hostile, will they stay like that forever?

11. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

12. Catherine Franz

Ninja route (stealth stealing) works for me at least (never failed)

Or if those meteors are a problem, i just use that tile protection thing...

13. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Could just get back at starbound devs and post a YouTube video titled unnecessary starbound dev induced violence and have a description saying new stealing system sucks and have the video include your starbound character saying "time to renovate a stranger's house!" And show how quickly the NPC characters start a mob because you decided to matter manipulate a dirt block.

14. spyroguy

spyroguy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Solution: Murder everyone in the village, renovate it, and place colony deeds in the renovated houses. Boom, now you’re the mayor.

They took your tables, you took their lives. :3

Albussystems and GeekyRaptor like this.
  15. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

The perfect crime "infinity war music playing in background"

So epic!

16. Daikon Ocelot

That's the last think I would do in Starbound.

Akre likes this.
  17. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

Just wanted to post the same thing, but not with deeds^^ he could just spawn npcs.

I mean, if some npc attacks me for such stupid reasons they always go (and the towns become empty - way to many planets with more out there).

Don't overthink it.

18. Daikon Ocelot

C'mon, man! Support me in saying this is a horrible stealing system! Cause I am sick being accuse for taking dirt, and taking back my workbench I just put. This is injustice! Please, help me saying this out loud to the devs. :nurusad:

Why don't the devs just shield the whole settlement, just like the Hylotl underwater city, if they want to put a stealing system these strict. :nurunaughty: