Digital [Comic] Avian Handie C. Rafter's Starbound Adventure

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Tyle, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

'Tiz better than cancelled that's for sure = w=

Tyle likes this.
  2. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Some open secret: some of the characters seen in the strip so far are actually 'ported'/translated from Whale Fins. I'm not naming names though.

3. Catherine Franz

Wonder if you'll make a hylotl like this one?
    upload_2019-8-26_15-26-13.png

4. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Maybe, I haven't decided. It's always a possibility.

5. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

She will then fight herself someday.

6. Catherine Franz

I wanna see an assassin that doesn't wanna kill people unless permitted by the target themselves = w=

7. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Hey now, let's not be so eager to make requests - I'm not good at making promises.

8. Catherine Franz

Ignore thy comment, 'tiz just a random thought by my mind, my sadi- normal mind...

9. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

[​IMG]

Giving my favorite boss the final boss treatment. Also, happy Halloween.

10. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

This is beautiful. Honestly, I always saw that mission as a bit of a walk in the park, but this makes it feel like a real fight for survival--the sense of danger and general menace is through the roof, and even just where and when you used more or less detail on the characters and background does wonders to tell the story here. Just phenomenal in every way.

Tyle likes this.
  11. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

woah you overestimated me there I'm just really lazy

Vurrunna likes this.
  12. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Nonsense; if there's anything I learned from my time in art, it's that everything was most definitely intentional. Get better grades that way.

Couldn't be bothered to draw backgrounds? Obviously it was to highlight the characters in the foreground. Dialogue too much of a pain? You just didn't want to subtract from the tension of the moment. Had no idea how to draw that one important scene so it happened off-screen? Well clearly it was to heighten the drama and leave more to the imagination of the reader!

There are no mistakes--only happy little accidents. Totally-definitely-100%-intentional accidents.

(Really though even if it was just laziness it turned out really good and I'm excited to see what comes next)

Tyle likes this.
  13. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Holy shit that's badass!!!

Tyle likes this.
  14. Catherine Franz

Now THIS is what I imagined when I did the Erchius Mission the first time...

Tyle likes this.
  15. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

Oh Kluex oh no

16. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Love your art style but I'm about to say something a tiny bit of an unpopular opinion, does anyone notice how some comics get better as they progress in the storyline they have? I love this comic already but I hope that this comic does that too. The art style is great but I believe any artist "myself included" is always able to find room for improvement. That said I still love the art style and the story is spot on and really great, just hoping it will get more fleshed out and dynamic as time goes on. Keep up the amazing work.

Also on another note I was wondering if you ever plan to include custom races like the avali or races from the elithian races mod races like the avikan or trinkian? That would be really neat. I like me some space raptors.

Tyle likes this.
  17. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Thanks for the comment! I'm somewhat comfortable with my current style right now, but I do try to improve and try out new elements when it's possible - I'm not a full-time artist (kinda obviously) so time constraint is a legitimate issue - the progress of improvement might be a little slow. Still working on that department there.

As for custom race, it might be rather disappointing but the answer would be no and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. I would rather keep things simple and stick to what the game has provided for me as my canon, and including any custom race at all would be, like, opening an infinitely large can of worms there.

18. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, you're welcome to like vanilla starbound, I just find vanilla unbearably bare bones and overall boring. The devs should have went the extra mile but the modders did the game a favor and produced the library of content the game needs and deserves. Truth be told the vanilla starbound has practically nonexistent replay value without injecting mods. Having said that, I see the value in keeping your comic simple, one of the main reasons I can't make a comic is because I struggle to apply the kiss principle "keep it simple stupid" and I usually end up scrapping my ideas half way through.

Tyle likes this.
  19. FernBlaze

FernBlaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

h n g i missed a bunch of art and im s a d
    b ro ur so go O D

Tyle likes this.
  20. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Left 4 Dead confirm.

Man, how long did you take to make this? This is so awesome!