1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Apples and oranges.

Again, apples and oranges. Different games have different demands, and you are making the mistake of assuming low graphical fidelity to mean low demand, which is just factually untrue.

A game performs poorly on your weak systems, so it must be the game? Great logic there...

Starbound is CPU intensive and only barely uses the GPU, so a high powered graphics card wouldn't really impact Starbounds performance. Fallout New Vegas has a few things going for it here. It is an older generation game, and it is heavier on the 3D, so it makes use of the graphics card much more than the CPU. Additionally, the world is already made so it just needs to load in the assets as opposed to Starbound which has to generate all its world content on the fly, which is all CPU intensive.

People are FAR more likely to post about issues rather than lack of issues. When was the last time you saw a random post for ANY game thats just like "Hey guys! just wanted to post about how completely normal the game is running!". Probably never.

Yes, admittedly there are people out there that are having issues with this game, but their issue may not be your issue. Not all lag is created equal. The cause of lag is not always the same across the board. So without verification, we can not conclude that your issue is a result of an issue with the game or just a simple issue of your computers being underpowered for the task.

This is demonstrably false. Should I? Sure, why not.

Here is the benchmark for the Q6600: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q6600+@+2.40GHz

Note the score of 2652 based on, ironically, just over 6600 samples.

Compare that with the very first commercial i5 CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-750+@+2.67GHz&id=772

Note the score of 3693. You can also note the higher single core performance under each respective score.

Here are comparisons of the lowest end i5 CPUs from each generation there after:
    Gen 2: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2390T+@+2.70GHz&id=792
    Gen 3: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3340M+@+2.70GHz&id=1889 (Mobile CPU to boot)
    Gen 4: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4430+@+3.00GHz&id=1924
    Gen 5: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-5575R+@+2.80GHz&id=2683
    Gen 6: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6400+@+2.70GHz&id=2578
    Gen 7: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-7400+@+3.00GHz&id=2929
    Gen 8: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-8400+@+2.80GHz&id=3097

As you can see, even the lowest end of each generation i5 outperforms the Q6600.

And in case you are just ignorant about CPUs and are basing your view on pure GHz, then here is a 1.9GHz i5 that outperforms the Q6600:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4460T+@+1.90GHz&id=2370

In fact, if you were basing it on GHz, then virtually all the i5s are either as fast if not faster than the Q6600 on pure GHz alone. But comparing GHz between different generation CPUs is a fool's errand.

2. Solsolis

Solsolis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks. Are you one of the developers of Starbound?

3. lazarus78

I am not.

4. AccountPrivacy

AccountPrivacy Pangalactic Porcupine

No matter what you bring to the table this game will die on it. The game is a broken mess. End of story.

Solsolis and DemChanges like this.
  5. lazarus78

Not for me. Explain that before you start casting wide umbrellas.

The game has issues for some, yes, but not most.

6. Solsolis

Not for you, but it is for most of us. You know, apples and oranges... Like all those winsucks specific meaningless test results you pulled out of the internet...
    Sorry, I forgot to tell I'm using Linux, and my computers ALWAYS run at full speed. In Linux (I don't know about winsucks) you can force the computer to always run in full throttle, regardless it is a laptop on battery or it is a desktop machine plugged in.
    Those benchmarks (all of them!) has NOTHING to do with gaming. Sure they give you some fancy numbers that you can show your friends so you can said; your PC is SHIT...
    By the way, I tested many-many different games (2D and 3D) on many-many different computers with my GTX650 and 8GB RAM. (Having a computer hardware-store in the family). So I sure about that, that my shit Q6600 really kills many modern CPU. Sure, some games maybe runs better on newer computers even if those CPUs are less powerful. Why? You know it's called CODE OPTIMIZATION...
    Oh, and just for curiosity, yesterday, I checked on the i5-laptop how the game runs, benchmarked the system while playing the game. And It is now totally clear, how un-optimized the game code is. The CPU load is most of the time averaged at about 35-40%, and only ONE CORE that used a bit more (40-50% at average) and sometimes jumped to 90-100% (possibly that is when the game procedurally-generated the things on the fly). The worst thing is, even when the game become extremely laggy (like when you find a huge U.S.M.C base full with NPCs) the CPU usage jumped up just a very little bit; averaged at 45-50% and again only one core that used more 55-70%.
    So, this makes it clear, the game's performance is bad not because I use on old PC or a non-gaming laptop.

The game is dead, IMO because of the lag, the stuttering, and many people just stopped playing because of this, OR because all those annoying things they don't want to fix or change, all those bad game design they come up with. Like the stupid story they forced upon us, the screwed up progression in the game, most of the time you doesn't even know what and how to do and there is nothing in the game (or even at any wiki) that helps you, etc.
    The game isn't dead? Well, just look at Youtube, most of the latest videos about 2 year old. The most recent videos ALL OF THEM are about how bad is the game.
    That tells something...

AccountPrivacy likes this.
  7. lazarus78

Nope, not likely even most.

Meaningless? Please, let your ignorance show more, it will help your case...

And they aren't windows specific...

You are making the mistake of assuming laptop CPUs are equivilant to desktop CPUs. They aren't. Plugged in or not. And running them at full speed is stupud because they will just waste power and shorten their lifespan. So since you admit to doing this, there is more evidence against your system and not the game.

They are a benchmark of a CPUs effiency and are very good indicators of how they will perform in different tasks. Please stop, you are just making yourself look so bad right now.

Please don't lie. Honestly, please stop.

If your family really had a computer hardware store, then you wouldn't have such low end hardware. And now you have the balls to claim an old CPU is better than modern ones, that is literally laughable.

You are not impressing anyone by lying. Stop it.

Cool story bro.

And I use almost exclusively i5s because they are good budget CPUs, and all have worked well with this game. What now?

That doesnt proove much. Yeah, the game is primaraly single core dependent, but that could be necessary. Not everything can be multi-core or even multi-threaded. Hell, Solidworks, you know that big multi-thousand dollar CAD program, is single core because it has to be.

Starbound has been about the same in level of players since it first hit Steam.

https://steamcharts.com/app/211820

Outside of new content updates, it has had a consistent player-base. If that is "dead" to you, then well, I'm sorry. Leave the game and do us all a favor.

Lord Aries Greyscale likes this.
  8. Kolapse

Kolapse Void-Bound Voyager

I had performance problems to.
    I installed Linux in Dual Boot, i have no more problems now..
    I run Frackin Universe + 30mods smoother than Vanilla on Windows. Maybe it's a solution for lots of you

9. Solsolis

"Was your laptop plugged in to the wall at the time you tested? That can have a big impact on its performance since laptops will throttle to conserve battery. They will also throttle when they start to get moderately hot." -- This is WHAT you asked in your previous post!
    To answer your question that is why I posted this:
    "Sorry, I forgot to tell I'm using Linux, and my computers ALWAYS run at full speed. In Linux... you can force the computer to always run in full throttle, regardless it is a laptop on battery or it is a desktop machine plugged in."
    I posted this just to make it clear, what you said is isn't true, because my laptop (and desktop) machine NEVER THROTTLE DOWN, so that cannot be the cause that the game's lag.

AND NOW YOU SAY THIS:
    "You are making the mistake of assuming laptop CPUs are equivilant to desktop CPUs. They aren't. Plugged in or not. And running them at full speed is stupud because they will just waste power and shorten their lifespan. So since you admit to doing this, there is more evidence against your system and not the game."

Now I started to feel, you just doing it just to provoke the other half in the conversation. Exactly in which of my post I said that a destop PC is equvalent of a laptop?
    All this is about that on both desktop and laptop, the game LAGS THE SAME WAY! This is the key lags the SAME WAY on very different platforms.
    2 totally different PC, totally. Different architecture, different everything. And that, they lags the same, makes me thing about something funky happening here.

And you simply just LIE about that those RANDOM BENCHMARK SCORES FROM THE INTERNET, that they are not windows specific. You linked the official PassMark test result page. THAT IS WINDOWS ONLY PROGRAM! Period. You lied about it...

I'm not lying. That's your speciality! I proved that, with those Windows-specific benchmarks, when you said they are not. Period.
    That, that someone in my family have a computer hardware store (I NEVER SAID THAT STORE IS MINE!) and I can test any computer, or anything, that doesn't mean that I can get everything for free! Are you really think, if someone RUNNING a store, that means they can have all the best stuff from the store? Everything just for free, even the latest technology, just because they RUNNING a store? You really have a weird imagination...

You really don't understand what other people write down, or you simply just ignoring everything that other people say, and just parroting your own things?
    I posted my benchmark results, just to show that Starbound not just doesn't use all the CPU-cores but doesn't even really use ONE CORE!
    Are you one of the programmers of Starboud? Not just me, but others already asked this, and you are NOT!
    You just always, no matter what, just go against everyone who said anything about game's bad performance.
    Even if someone, like me, take their time and make REAL BENCHMARK WITH THE GAME ITSELF (not just pulling random test results, that made on totally different platforms and not even with any game..) you just make fun with their posts and CONSTANTLY TRY TO UNDERMINE everything about what they post!
    Or just post a sentence that has nothing to do with that what you reply to.

Are you a troll?!?!
    What or who are you protecting? You are not the programmer of Starbound, you don't post any helpful thing, or most of the time posting irrelevant things.
    Why don't can say anything positive that helps? Not just calling other systems that other people using, a shit, in a first palce?

Like I already mentioned, I posted here the exact test results, how the game using (or how NOT) the CPU and the individual cores on one of my PC.
    How dare you compare that to an industrial CAD application? I answer to this with your favourite, annoying, useless phrase: "apples and oranges".
    When I posted that I compared (Starbound) a 2D-survival-digging-craftin-procedurally-generated game to other exactly 2D-survival-digging-crafting-procedurally-generated game, and NONE OF THEM PERFORMS SO LAGGY LIKE STARBOUND, you said the same. Don't you see the irony, you pathetic troll?
    To what the hell I compare Starbound than, if not to other exactly same type of games? You just trolling...

And what the f&@k is that with how I use my computers?
    DO YOU PAY MY ELECTRIC BILL? DO YOU BUY THE COMPUTERS FOR ME? I don't think so, so you again come up with a totally irrelevant and useless thing in a post that is about Starbound's lags. This post is not about HOW I USE MY OWN PC. I run them always on full throttle. Deal with it...
    Check this out to know what I mean:

Oh, and at the end, you again come up with a chart, that shows ONLY STARBOUND coempared to..nothing!
    That is again just a meaningless statistic, and only shows how many people play ONE game.
    Just look at, on the same page, Terraria. Or Stardew Valley. Or anything. Everyone can tell those scores just shows how Starbound isn't popular...

You said: "Starbound has been about the same in level of players since it first hit Steam." It isn't really true,or you looked at not the same chart that you linked.
    The chart that you linked only shows how the playerbase go down as the time passed.

You pathetic troll, you even IGNORING WHAT IS THE REQUIREMENT FOR STARBOUD!
    (I copy-pasted it from the Steam-store page)

• Minimum:
      • Processor: Core 2 Duo
      • Memory: 2 GB RAM
      • Graphics: 256 MB graphics memory and opengl 2.1 compatible gpu
      • Network: Broadband Internet connection
      • Storage: 3 GB available space
    Which one of my computer not fulfill that?
    See? I'm not playing it on a very powerful machine, that is true, but they way outperform all the minimum requirement for the game! I play it on low resoluton (the laptop can't even capable of bigger that 1366*768 resolution).
    Only your trolling with people in this post what is shit, and not my PCs (or other people's AMD)
    So stop replying to my post UNLESS YOU MADE A PATCH OR SOMETHING THAT FIX THE LAG. or I will report you!
    If you hate other people because they don't gave the best and newest gaming rig, and you hate that someone like to play Starbound on older machines, than you should leave this post and go trolling somewhere else...

I posted the computers specs. here not because I need any reply to it. I posted it because this post is here for people to post what PC they use if they experiencing lag.
    I posted it in hope, if someone at Chucklefish come here and collect the data, about what people using when they experince lag, maybe they consider what PC I use and, maybe, they take some effort to optimize the game, so they can run on a BETTER PC that they say is the minimum that required to play the game...
    And not for a troll like you who call "shit" in their first reply.

10. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Space Hobo

@lazarus78 The game is the issue most likely. If you understand anything about programming, here is a talk from one of the starbound developers that has some interesting information about the starbound codebase in it. For anyone that has done game development in the past it's quite easy to see why the game could be performing badly. Cache misses suck.

It seems like they understand this atleast, though it's far to late to really fix this totally.

11. lazarus78

I never said the game didn't have problems. I fully admitted that for some, the game is at fault, but my point was about pointing the finger at the game when the hardware is clearly lacking. Many people have used the game as a crutch to validate their hardware. So in that user's case, we would need to eliminate the hardware as the cause of their poor performance before jumping on blaming the game.

Also their bullshit claims that their core2 CPU was better than a modern i5.

12. Smiling Spectre

Smiling Spectre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, another one with Starbound speed problems here.

I am trying to play it since beta, and I suspect that we have not one, but two problems here.

1. Lag. It can be heavy sometimes, but it can be relieved with better processor, detalization, or wait - game usually came in senses after initial loading of the heavy zone. So it's not a problem, actually.

2. Freezes. It's _always_ here, since 1.0, and I think it became _worse_, when I upgraded my computer.

When I started, with 1.0 release, I had i3-3600 or something like that plus GF9800, and Win8 x64. I had problems with lag, and sometimes it freezed, but nothing too much.

Now I have i5-8600 and GF970Ti, also Win 10x64. Aslo 16Gb DDR4 RAM instead old 8Gb DDR3. I never seen the lag in game so far. But freezes are here, and became much worse (but shorter). In 1.0 I seen freezed monsters once per minute, maybe less, but they halted for good 2 secs. Now they came in senses in about half-sec - but it happens twice per minute or more.

Also, I am practically sure that this, freeze problem is connected to change in game ideology. Game was fine before multiplayer was introduced. But just as developers switched to "client-server" technology, freezes appeared and never gone.

It looks like bad communication between game server part and client one. In 1.0 it was very apparent: monsters are halted, world is freezed, and only main hero still was active, just as in Matrix. And after freeze all "missing" actions happened all together. Typical "lost connection" problem. Now it's not so apparent, as hero is freezed too (seems, developers switched his movement to the server part), but ambient actions are still here, also sound and music never interrupted.

For some time I thought that it could be data transfer problem: i.e. not enough speed for SATA HDD to get needed data. But then I asked around, and it seems that SSD have exactly the same problem, so it's not HDD.

As development and support, seems, continued - can we have our fix at last, please?

13. Mikhayllob

Mikhayllob Space Hobo

When I press the space bar for few times in early game, the auto right click will start in whole game with any champion . How do I fix it?

14. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

This is starbound forums bud' > w>

15. Thaddaios

Thaddaios Space Spelunker

You are not having computer component problems if you can play other games fine. It's Starbound. I noticed for all of my other games the performance of my CPU, RAM, and GPU stay constant but when I run Starbound I notice there are instant performance drops in the GPU every once every minute or 2. I think that the game isn't communicating to the gpu properly or efficiently which is causing it to drop in performance, but this still doesn't explain any of the fps issues. This game needs fixing... and I wish we could get some sort of response from the dev saying we are working on it or something so we can have some sort of relief knowing that they know there is an issue.

EDIT: Okay so... i may have found a solution... i am not sure why it works for me but try running the 32bit version and let us know if this fixes your lag issues.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  16. DaddySadhead

DaddySadhead Space Hobo

Why is there an 18 page long thread dating back to 2016 about performance issues in this game? It's a beautiful game, but it's unplayable with this constant hanging and lag on more than capable hardware. This is unacceptable. Please fix your existing games before creating new ones. Starbound will always have a special place in my heart, but I'm honestly starting to turn my back on Chucklefish because of this.

Cally94 and AccountPrivacy like this.
  17. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Ey there are no bugs in this game...they're all Features...

18. Myozhen

Myozhen Space Hobo

I can tell you what the problem is with the periodic lags is, it is the persistence code. The game lags whenever the world is saved, which is pretty frequently. On HDD the lags are very noticeable, on a SSD they are still there but much shorter, still quite noticeable. What I mean by lag is that blocks stop breaking, plants are unharvestable and enemies pause for a period of time.

I could easily tell this when it was on a HDD because the light would be on constantly when it was in the middle of a lag, and not on much anytime else. Using tools like 'Resource Monitor' also helps.

As the original poster said this wasn't a problem until 1.1 or so (when they officially released pretty much), much earlier alphas or betas (I don't remember) ran really well, no problems at all.

This problem is fundamental and serious enough to call the game broken in its current state.

It may look a bit daunting for the devs to fix, but I think it will be easier than they think in the end, they just have to do it. It will also help with getting the game released on XBox and Playstation, as the devs have said they cannot get it approved on those because of performance issues.

If the devs want to show that they care enough about the game and their customers they need to fix this persistence code issue. It is the single most important thing for them to fix by far. There are so many threads on steam and this forum about this problem. If they fix this they solve a lot of their own problems too.

Edit: To the devs -> test the game on a HDD at least sometimes.

19. icegriffon

icegriffon Star Wrangler

G35 Motherboard
    Intel Core Duo E6750 2x2,66
    4 GB DDR3 RAM
    GF 550GTX Ti

Purchased & installed the game 3 weeks ago.
    Read the thread today.
    Feeling like I'm in trouble...

Actually those lags and freezes are not as big a nuisance as crafting stations lag if they have lots of items in them. Pixel Printer has become an issue. I now must go over mod objects, whenever I add any, and add "printable=false" attribute to avoid Pixel Printer to be a (worse) pain.

I'm yet to see if number of explored worlds or/and mods will make a a difference.

20. AccountPrivacy

AccountPrivacy Pangalactic Porcupine

The thing is they should just be transparent and put a system requirements as follows. "Run this game on a rendering server machine on highest grade SSDs and the game will run ok." Job done. I am sick of companies putting out false system requirements and false advertising. Nor never update properly anything. This is a serious case of breaking the law but looks like some of them get away with it... And for those who say refunds exists. Technically do but in reality no there are no refunds in most cases, you refund one thing in a ocean of crap and can't do the rest. So you're stuck with it or don't buy anything. No wonder why many of us quit gaming on PC because it's impossible. One day something works the other don't or it doesn't work at all no matter what you do to it. PC = permanent cancer. Waste of money and our life for nothing in return. Mostly stress and disappointment. If I could go back in time I would not touch a single game on PC and with it my life would be much better and could spend the same time and funds on more smart things in life.

DemChanges likes this.