1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Still unplayable even after latest patch. Huge random lag spikes / fps drops

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by arZic, Jun 20, 2019.

1. arZic

arZic Big Damn Hero

So I've just tried starting a new game in Starbound after the latest 1.4 patch dropped.
    But, for me, the game is more or less unplayable.
    Whats happening, and have been for the past years, is that i get random huge fps drops. Sometimes so bad that the game seems like its freezing for 2-4 seconds. The music and sounds still plays, and it's almost acting like online lag.

When the game comes back to its stable 60fps with approx 15-20% CPU usage and 5-15% GPU usage, I might be almost dead because i was fighting a monster, and it doesn't seem like it cares about my game freezing up.

This is the most extreme cases, but most of the time it drops 20-40 frames and stutter like hell. In between the game is butter smooth...

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the game, multiple times.
    Reformatted my computer multiple times with clean windows installation. (Windows 10).
    Have tried ParkControl so all cores on the CPU is active.

It's impossible to enjoy this game with these lag spikes / fps drops. I get unfair deaths and just a huge annoyance.
    What am I supposed to do to fix this?
    There is no other game i have that have these problems.

Specs:
    CPU: i7-4790K
    GPU: GTX 1080
    RAM: 16 GB Crusial DDR3 1600MHz
    MB: Asus Sabertooth Z97 M1
    Storage: Tried on both Samsung SSD 840 Pro and a regular HDD (ST4000DM004-2CV104)

2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

We all still have that world freezing thing...but em not sure about the fps problem and it feels like I'm playing a multiplayer game even when in SP xD (FRICKIN OPTIMIZATIONS PLEASE)

3. arZic

arZic Big Damn Hero

So everyone have world freezing / fps drop / extreme random stutter 1+ times a minute?

4. Catherine Franz

Ehh it mostly resets if you afk for a bit in an area with not much things (works on me though)

5. arZic

arZic Big Damn Hero

Well for me, its not a world freeze as you experience. Cause if that's the case everything should freeze in place and continue where it left of when the game comes back to it's normal non-freeze gameplay....
    However it's experienced more like lag does online, everything else moves around, just on my screen everything is frozen. So after a few seconds when the game continues to work, my character and everything else jumps to where it's would have been if the freezing never happened.

When using programs to monitor the game, the FPS goes down when this happens, from a stable 60fps down to to everything between 0 and 40 fps, and the same time the GPU spikes from and aprox usage of let say 15% to up to 60+% just for the few seconds the lag happens.

I just tried to delete the game and a fresh install post the new patch. Even deleting everything from the folder including saves and such, but no difference.
    Vsync on/off in config file, and I even tried windows 10's game mode!

This is the only game I'm experiencing anything like this issue. So I can't see that it's anything wrong with my PC.
    Regardless, does anyone have any tips on how else i can troubleshoot this? I really want to play this game :(

6. Catherine Franz

Oh I only know that v-sync must always be off and uhh 'em using win 7 ; n;
    Even did a fresh reinstall -> delete universe and player files

7. arZic

arZic Big Damn Hero

Yep, deleted everything, universe and player files. Hadn't got much progress anyway, since the furthest iv'e managed to play the game with this issue was the second boss fight.

And seems like that is the furthest I'm ever going to experience this game, if i can't find a solution.
    Installing win7 is not an option...

Also i forgot to mention this: Iv'e even experienced this issue where the frame rate drops and game "freeze" in the menu, before even loading up a character/game.

8. Catherine Franz

Uhh 'em using half refresh rate (graphics card option) for the v-sync of this game (not in-game and it kind of fixes some fps problems > w>

9. arZic

arZic Big Damn Hero

Tried that now but still the same issue, only difference is that the "lag" seems to make bigger pauses when it freezes up.
    What i mean is: in the cases on full refresh rate when the lag occurred and it was minor it felt like a blend between stuttering and lag/freeze. With half refresh rate its freeze 1 sec okay 1 sec freeze again and so on until it stops.
    Also the game is not as butter smooth in between as it's with Gsync on and normal refresh rate.

Tried half refresh rate. Vsync on/of. Gsync on/off. Nothing seems to make a difference.

What really surprises me, is that if this is such a common issue. With world freezing and bad optimization, why isn't there a bigger uproar in the forums?
    Have people given up and just dont care anymore?

10. Catherine Franz

Kinda like that...It's more like a bethesda style...the community will fix...

11. Smiling Spectre

Smiling Spectre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am. It also looks more frequent if something happens in background, but not much - maybe 3 times per minute with rain and 2 times deep underground.

12. Smiling Spectre

What you are trying to say is what I said in my other post around: it looks exactly like "Server-Client" interaction, where everything, except minor parts, calculates on server, and you take results from client.

Have all sense as Starbound came to client-server architecture since 1.0 (check log, it plain says "start server... connect client... etc) - and this is exactly the time when freezes was introduced for me.

My guess is that there is some gimmick over it, otherwise it would be unplayable for everyone. But I don't know it.

13. Catherine Franz

There's a server I joined where everything's stable and I mean everything (only my ping is crap tho), but if you go to Single player, IT lags A LOT for some reason...

14. Smiling Spectre

Single player essentially the same as multi. Game creates own server and connects your own client to it. All locally. So it's this very server that lags, I believe. But why? And how to fix it?.. That's a question.

15. Catherine Franz

Would've been better if it's literally a SP no server thingie for smoother experience i think...

'Coz what's the point* of "multi via discord" and stuff if there's still a server in SP...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    ZuhHyberuss likes this.
  16. Smiling Spectre

Well, pre-1.0 all was without this. And _was_ much smoother. Seems, they sacrificed stability for universality. Or maybe not, if this it not expected side effect but accidental hiccup for some systems.

I got two SB updates in three days, BTW. Does anyone know what it was?