Announcement Starbound 1.4: Bounty Hunter Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Original Post

2. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How to fix Pyro 101

3. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

I look forward to playing this update, and seeing the new dungeons and bosses. Well done, developers. :nuruawe:

Armorine1983 likes this.
  4. Armorine1983

Armorine1983 Phantasmal Quasar

I am so happy the update is ready, thank you developers for the update and i am very happy to see the Humble Bundle DRM-Free version updated the same day as well (i like to use this version to play around and start creating my own stuff). Is it just me or does the banner for this update kinda resemble the Far Cry: Blood Dragon artwork a little bit (which would be awesome if it was inspired from it)?

91OYcPyA5jL._SS500_.jpg

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's not that SB 1.4's banner is inspired by FC3. It's that both are inspired by the same glorious retrowave bullhockey.

6. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm so excited to update my starbound ost playlist

Kawa likes this.
  7. roro

roro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great :nurudallas:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. Conrada

Conrada Void-Bound Voyager

Excellent. I wonder if this will break frackin'.

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Holy pieces of shit if I had three fiddy for every time someone asked about FU, or otherwise wondered if it'd be broken... I could bribe Sayter to ignore the family issues holding him back from releasing the update.

Cos I see a sentiment like that just about every ten minutes all over the place and he does have an update ready for release, but doesn't because of family issues. At least that's what I gathered. But this post is just gonna go ignored by the next FU user to come along, innit?

I'd be angry if it wasn't at least a little amusing.

DragonsForce likes this.
  10. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't see a patch note of the spikefist mech weapon being nerfed heavily. Oh well, it made the Swansong fight easier even on that one beta build where its health was heavily buffed.

11. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Oh man, these are awesome!

12. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

i can't find the new soundtracks in the Starbound OST folder from having the DLC

13. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Just in time for the end of finals. Nice :poke:

14. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Holy heck I had never expected this update to finally come, thank you!

And I gotta say, I'm glad by some of the otherwise easily missed details I see just in these path notes.
    I always felt the post-release updates in Starbound were kind of missing a form of connection to the game's own base storyline, which felt like it still left limited reasons to continue playing once completed, it's actually really refreshing to see a mention of the Occasus and Cultists in here. It might feel like the perfect excuse to finally have a form of post-game that still gives a nod to the existing story line.

I'd definitely still would like more of an expansion to the story itself but.... by now, so far after the release of the game I'm okay if we have to wait for a sequel or different title in the universe exploring things through different genres since such effort would definitely have to make sure it was worth the money spent developing it after all.

I'm glad this update in itself seem to be finally tying together through it's gameplay a lot of the stuff that was still feeling unconnected from each others. Mechas and the disconnect between planetary and space locations can thus become connected through the hunt part of the bounty hunting. Meanwhile the presence of the Occasus as potential targets gives a perfect tie with the greater overarching story of the game's story mode which allows it to retain a certain presence even in the post-game.

That makes me happy. This fix a lot of the only issues I had left with the post-release. Even the theme of "restoring peace and order through the universe" can be indirectly seen as a way to indirectly play into the aftermath of the Starbound intro where the previous peacekeeping federation is destroyed, if one wants to get into these themes.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  15. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Okay I've gotten through the new quest line. Gotta say, that was a lot of fun! No idea how anyone is supposed to beat the boss in singleplayer, however....
    The one thing I wish we would have gotten is a way to take the new vehicles with us / buy controlers for them. They seem to be quite fun, butthe testing possibilities are quite limited.

Beatrice likes this.
  16. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I have not tried it yet, I am spoiling myself with the translation xD what do you mean by "the new vehicles are limited"? Can not you take them with you as you would with the vehicles you buy?

17. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Precisely that. They spawn with structures generated by the Bounty Hunter system and (to my knowledge) can not be packed up.

davoker likes this.
  18. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Structures? mm, I do not quite understand it, until I try it I will not know exactly how it is, the translation keeps me very busy, the ideal would be for CF to translate the game into several languages, like the monkey does with Stardew Valley xD

19. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

davoker likes this.
  20. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

A certain type of outlaw is bugged (not sure about other players)
    The type that says something like "Nope,never seen an outlaw here just innocent me."
    Put 'em to 0 hp and they'll stay like that forever...abandon the quest and they'll finally kneel -> apprehend but never get the reward...

Lord Aries Greyscale likes this.