Digital {COMIC} the crusty art thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FernBlaze, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FernBlaze

FernBlaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

uhh, funny update:
    I was playing through modded and i made two exact replicas of crewmembers that were once part of mercy's ship and uh...

This is starting to make me want to add them back into canon.
    Scratch that they're canon in his backstory again
    but only for this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EVERY.
    SINGLE.
    TIME.
    I TURN.
    AROUND.

AND I LOVE IT.

theflamingchuthulu likes this.
  2. FernBlaze

3. FernBlaze

4. FernBlaze

[​IMG]

he look like sk8r boi

5. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

See, most of us that post art to these forums just have drawings, character designs, cartoons.

Then FernBlaze here comes saddling in with a couple of pieces I'd expect in an art gallery. Jeez, man, leave the rest of us some dignity!

Very good composition, and great use of positive and negative space (though that's a given with hard black and white). I especially like the first one--you can really feel the speed and motion through the hard angles, and the shift from black-on-white to white-on-black helps to strike home the sense of surprise he's getting from falling over. The second pice works better I think in conveying the scene, though the us of a third tone in the last panel is a bit off-putting. That said, it does help to add that perspective, so I'd be hard pressed to find an alternative (just lines would be too messy).

Aaand I'm speaking artist on accident. Whoops! Overall, really good pieces. Bravissimo, dear fellow.

Tyle likes this.
  6. FernBlaze

Thank you! And yeah, I tried really hard to not use a third tone but the train didn't work otherwise :/
    I'm thinking of using the third tone in a few more panels as I gradually add more color, since this is another story snippet while I wait for summer break to start, where i'll officially start on the 1st chapter, or else i'd never get it done tbh

(Also thinking of changing my username if that's possible to do,, i've moved on from fernblaze as my character completely (AQ, checkers, luckyee), so if you're suddenly getting notifs from a completely different person, it's mE)

7. FernBlaze

8. FernBlaze

Hey just gonna reply to this twice since I feel like this is a good post to let yall know--
    https://www.deviantart.com/luckyee
    finally! :)
    Idk if ill post much starbound art on there, but i figured id say that!

9. FernBlaze

[​IMG]
    Howdy everyone! Ya'll have probably been wondering where the chapters have been and...
    Well, I gave you all the date of this summer, didn't I?
    I didn't have the chance to get to it with this week being hectic, and next week i'll be a tad bit busy, but I'm going to try and get work in on those days anyway!
    My project is.. Uh..
    Ambitious, to say the least,
    so I don't know if this is gonna work.
    But I hope it does!
    The story will be split up into chapters.
    Chapter 1 doesn't really have a story, it's going to be the metaphorical 'warm up' of the comic! Introducing the characters and world (which you're already probably very familiar with, if you're on the forums)!

See you soon!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. Vurrunna

I am excitement.

theflamingchuthulu likes this.
  11. FernBlaze

Yes, you ARE excitement. >8^)

12. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

YOU are excitement!
    You all are excitements!

>:]

Vurrunna and theflamingchuthulu like this.
  13. FernBlaze

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And floranss is excsssited too...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. Captain Karo

Captain Karo Cosmic Narwhal

15. FernBlaze

16. Vurrunna

Nice! Instantly followed.

Fair warning about Tapas: a while ago, there was some kerfuffle where they quietly claimed partial ownership of all artists' comics in their Terms and Conditions. They claimed it was to protect unwary artists from other companies trying to use them, but in the process it prohibited artists from making deals involving their own comic (some folks gave some good descriptions of it back in the day). In the end they revoked the claim after massive backlash and an exodus from the platform, and if you're doing a Starbound comic you hardly have so much concern (can't really sell merch with an IP that ain't your own), but just a friendly warning in case you plan on expanding to anything else.

17. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

oh nice a tapas

immediately subs

18. FernBlaze

Thanks for the heads up!

19. FernBlaze

[​IMG]
    Imposter friends ;)

Feat. @Tyle 's daughter Handie ;>>

20. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

It's a sass off

theflamingchuthulu and FernBlaze like this.