Dev Blog Starbound on Xbox Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Original Post

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

A question.....

All of these optimizations that you're doing.... are any of these optimizations going to appear on PC?

Because surely some of these optimizations would help the PC folks who run large mods (like FrackinUniverse as the main example)?

3. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would gladly take optimizations over new content

4. Zaroth

Zaroth Pangalactic Porcupine

Optimization for pc would be great. Even with my new, fast rig, my big, planetwide colony stutters quite a lot. And it's only planet wide on a minimum sized planet with areas still unused.

5. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

News... great.

I wonder what are they doing right now. I never seen them talking to us, or at least replying to one of our comment.

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

DragonsForce, Armorine1983 and Xylia like this.
  7. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

Well it took long enough to make what must ring like a non-announcement to those eagerly awaiting the game on Xbox.

RIP any single or 2 player co-op Starbound Xbox players because they could have the game in a working state to suit their needs already.

Yep I get that it's CF's game and they can release it in the state that they deem fit. However, how much of an edge case are 4+ player universes? I'm hoping it's significant if they've spent so time and so many resources to stumble several times to achieve it.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

At this rate, we're going to go through the Duke Nukem Forever style of "Start developing for one generation, have to stop midway through because that gen is now obsolete and a new one is out".

The PS5 was announced and I'm sure the new XB is going to be announced at some point, assuming Microsoft is still trying to dip their fingers in both the PC and the Console pies and by then it'll be a "why put so much effort and work into releasing for the XB1 when it's going to be obsolete in less than a year?"

I've always said that attempting to release for consoles is a mistake considering the fluidity of the console market and how small PC indie studios/publishers work and tend to have smaller teams. It just doesn't work and I don't think I've seen an indie company do it yet and do it smoothly or particularly well without the backing of a console publisher, and even then, sometimes it tends to be rough.

Meanwhile Terraria 1.4 was just announced and ... well, take a look at the trailer yourself. A HUGE amount of new content for the game. Not a few bits and bobs and a side minigame. Well, ok, Terraria 1.4 has that.... but also so much more.

Ickura likes this.
  9. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i'd say Starbound is more akin to TF2's development

10. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Absolutely - some are in the 1.4 beta right now.

We're often pretty quiet about announcing optimization changes - because saying "The game runs better" always leads to an avalanche of feedback that specific player's performance hasn't improved and what we did "didn't work". As with most optimization changes, things may improve for some players and not change much for others.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Don't sell yourself short, Katz. Anything you guys say leads to an avalanche of feedback to that effect :nurutease:

12. Daikon Ocelot

So... why didn't the Chucklefish tell us about the update here? You know like spoilers, upcoming features, or any changes. Make somekind of blog or something here, stating that kind of stuff, progress about the update. I mean, I know some of them has been mentioned in Discord, but why not here?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Moor Al-Malik, because the way I see it, the vocal majority responding to these update posts are mental poison.

davoker likes this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I can understand not saying much about the optimizations, but it is good to know that they do indeed exist in the PC update as well. Thanks for answering the question.

15. Daikon Ocelot

Well, from the way I see, there's not much people active here. This community looks almost deserted. So, why don't the dev try to stick again with the community, making a new relationship, and ignore those who are toxic.

Sometimes you just need to keep going and try to fix the situation, even most of the people around you doesn't like it. You know you can just ignore them. Don't let other people's mouth destroy you.

I am worry about the future of this community, if it keeps like this.

Ickura likes this.
  16. Saeryf

Saeryf Phantasmal Quasar

Glad to hear it's pretty much done, but man I would love to be playing Starbound with my nephew all day every day on XB1 already. T_T Soon™... :rofl:

17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Love everything you guys have don't so far.

But if this guy is not a boss or we don't get any other sized criminals in this update then i am gonna be pretty disappointed, happy that it came but still disappointed in the lack of other variants of criminals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If we could get some criminals bosses the size of this guy then i would be very happy

*edited*
    How come a gif from your own news page wont load here?

Quoting dark souls

[​IMG]

18. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

This is still great news! I'm happy to hear this kind of stuff is still in the works. I don't really want a console version, but the number of ppl who will benefit from it is absurd. Personally, just hyped for the new UI and controller support uwu

19. F224

F224 Space Spelunker

I understand that the studio doesn’t want to feel like they’re releasing an unfinished product, but it also bugs me to no end to that they’re holding up the release because of stability and frame rate issues with 4 players.

I will never play this game with four people, it’s unlikely that I’ll even play with a second player; it’s just not my play style. My personal belief is that ChuckleFish could push it out as a beta or demo to start building a console fanbase, then procedurally update it until it’s ready for full release, mainly since they’re fixing things that won’t even affect me or others like me.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Will admit that's what ConcernedApe did with Stardew Valley. He wanted Multiplayer but the single-player game was easily fleshed out enough it could be called a 1.0 release and so...... he released it without Multiplayer. A few people grumbled, but the majority of the people were just happy to have Singleplayer, and eventually Multiplayer DID come out.