Starbound vs. Terraria (Friendly Discussion Only!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

I think I kinda remember the wall of flesh but the ones from 5 to 10? No...Haven't seen any updates since... ll> .>
    I think Terraria is more* focused on it's combat/rpg element rather than Starbound's uhh do your own thing type of style (help 'em destroy the ruin etc etc) or just focus the building part since that's literally all ye can do...ye can't join factions like the rebels to fight the Miniknog...

Wish there are factions to join so I can actually interact with the world rather than just reading books . __.

2. tigerfestival

tigerfestival Cosmic Narwhal

I got back into Terraria, especially since I've learned modding methods like I have for Starbound and to be honest, I haven't touched Starbound since. I mean I tried playing again, but I got bored fast, not only that, I'm completely unimpressed with the bounty hunting. Starbound has nothing of value to really offer me. The only thing Starbound has over Terraria are graphics and better healing system, other than that, Starbound just doesn't have the charm Terraria has. I'll continue playing Terraria until Terraria 2 comes out. As for Starbound, sadly it's just picking up dust.

3. Catherine Franz

But eyy wise Davo guy (I think that's the name) once said!! "Starbound is a beautiful mess" > w>

4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Oh... that sounds really sad for Starbound. I myself haven't touch that new unstable update. Huh... because I only have the GOG version of Starbound. I ask them and they answer that the unstable update only available in the Steam version, not GOG. I will just have to wait a little longer then... again.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've always said that Starbound almost requires Frackin'Universe to be playable for long.

Terraria is a sandbox that has a bunch of toys, sand molds, etc.
    Starbound is basically a beach with just sand and water.

6. tigerfestival

Davo kept bashing Starbound in his Terraria review and his two Starbound reviews. When did he say Starbound is a beautiful mess?

The bounty hunting feels tacked on for the sake of having it. It's not very engaging whatsoever and there is only one new boss fight. The outlaws don't put up much of a fight either. The bounty hunting is not much different than the clue hunting in the main story.

That's the problem, why does a video game need a mod to make it more playable? In Terraria I can play the game vanilla and be lost in it for hours, Starbound needs mods to make it better and even then it's still not enough, even with mods like Sandbound, also add to it that not all mods are Frackin Universe compatible which makes it that much worse since you always have to worry about the mods you download being frackin universe compatible. For example SentientSupper's combat overhaul mod isn't compatible with Frackin Universe and since SentientSupper has no interest in making it compatible, where does that leave people like myself and many others who likes both mods, but unable to use both without worrying about compatibility issues? That's only one example, there's others like Sandbound that's incompatible with FU as well. I know people will bring up the argument that not all of Terraria mods are compaible, but at LEAST I can play the game vanilla and enjoy it, whereas I can't for Starbound, furthermore lots of mods for Terraria are compatible with each other such as Spirit,Thorium,Calamity,Split,Sacred Tools,Tremor and so forth. All you need to worry about is having enough ram to cram all of those mods on top of each other and even if you can't pile these mods on top of one another you can replay Terraria with a different mod each time which makes Terraria's replayability that much more enjoyable.

Upon looking at the earlier betas of Starbound, it looked very enjoyable, with no story, just good exploration, racial lore and weapons, boss summoning and they got rid of all of that and turned Starbound into the mediocre game that it is. Really sad, I really wanted to like Starbound, I really did. But I cannot sink my teeth into it. Starbound needs to go back to it's original roots and expand upon that.

Whew I ended up typing way more than I anticipated. Anyway just my two cents.

Xylia likes this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Will also point out the ridiculous amount of lag that Starbound ends up having when you load just Frackin'Universe alone, is just..... ugh.

That's why I posted that question over on the dev blog post, they talk about all of these optimizations they are doing just to get the thing to work on XB1 with 4+ players.

We gonna get any of that sweet optimization over here on PC, or no?

I've heard from a few mod developers that Starbound's code is......

well.

I'll be polite here.

It could use work.

8. Catherine Franz

Starbound has another name called "Optimizations please"
    @tigerfestival Oh I think I got the person wrong..maybe it's the chippy gaming dude? Not sure :v

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Chippy tried to do an FU playthrough but the thing crashed and he somehow lost his saves, though I think that's more him not being very tech savvy considering SB keeps backups of your saves. He should have been able to restore them.

10. Catherine Franz

The only thing that destroys my saves on the stable one is if the client it loaded is a vanilla one...even with all the workshops somehow when it boots -> vanilla -> modded items -> P.G. item

11. Armorine1983

Armorine1983 Phantasmal Quasar

I usually Store backups of my characters for SB (especially when i add new mods to the game). If Chucklefish would optimize SB (so adding huge mods don't slow it down so much) and add Universe Events (like how Terraria has events going on), that alone would make the game more expansive. The modders themselves would add a ton of content. I love playing both games a lot but i think where SB shines the most is that it's easily able to be modified and new content added by the community (Both XS Mech mods have to be my favorite add on so far).

12. Catherine Franz

Do ye think that a second questline could be good for Starbound? Like after* fighting the Ruin you try and track down the Occasus to take them down once and for all via Bounty Hunting system like tracking a goon to tracking high ranking officials to Asra Nox herself?

Like how Terraria approaches it's uhh story by making ye fight bosses til the big baddie > w>

13. tigerfestival

It is a nightmare to load SB with FU. It takes an eternity and the game REALLY needs a massive overhaul in is coding to get the game to run more smoothly.

Universe Events would be awesome. Like invasions of planets, like cultists trying to take over a desert planet, or florans trying to take over a forest planet etc. and you fight them off. I would like the main story to be a side/optional thing like in FU, but something you can check off at the start of the game and play the game like how it used to, the more traditional sandbox, with the story bosses being summoned or found in specific planets to fight. If Starbound was like that then I'd be on board. But I know stuff like that isn't going to happen, so I'm not holding my breath.

Armorine1983 likes this.