Digital Captain's Starbound Artwork

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Daikon Ocelot, May 30, 2019.

1. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Alright, after a long consideration, now I have decided to start posting the art I made here. I have started doing this kind of hobby since someone from this community have generously tutor me in doing it. Big thanks to her!

So, here is the first one.

Mino
    [​IMG]
    Her name is Mino. She is one of the soldier in the USCM 343rd Scout Force, or known as Black Lotus. She is a cheerful and high-spirited soldier. Making the others cheered is her favorite. Her captain usually give her a task to look after the trouble makers.

Anyway, I will be glad to post my other art before this, if you guys ask it. And I will keep making things like this in the future (hopefully). It can be about Starbound or other stuffs.

Okay, that's all for now. Thanks for the attention, guys!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. SillyLeaf

SillyLeaf Aquatic Astronaut

Your art seems to be pretty good so far! I was really curious about your it after seeing you talking in Tyle's inkscape thread...
    So, are you still going to try to make a comic?

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  3. LuigitheMan20

LuigitheMan20 Starship Captain

Ah my gawd a human that isn't British in nature!

Gotta be a fish in disguise. :nurutease:

4. Daikon Ocelot

Well, I guess so. In fact I am working on it now. It's harder than I thought it would be.

SillyLeaf likes this.
  5. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Oh you sweet summer child, thinking it would be easy.

Also, nice work! I, for one, would be very happy to see more of your work, as well as whatever you come up with in way of that comic you mentioned (can never have enough of those 'round here).

6. Daikon Ocelot

Okay, here is another one! I made this around the same time I made the art above.

Ramadan 2019
    [​IMG]
    I intend to make this for everyone, so not only for the Muslims (as you can see it's about Ramadan), so everyone can enjoy it. I have decided to make this one with Starbound as its theme, to make it more... I don't know... connected maybe.

I hope posting something like this is okay. Because I have no intention to offend anything or anyone. I make this just for everyone to enjoy (you know like a celebration card). I will also make something like this for an event like Chrismas, Halloween, Chinese New Year, etc (and that is if I know well its details).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  7. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

F...Flat girls...are nonexistent....fantasy and reality together...truly will never...be...true... *dies*

LuigitheMan20 likes this.
  8. Daikon Ocelot

Well... she is not... as flat... as it looks like. In fact, it is only her armor that keeps... its true *redacted* form... from visible. *wink*

LuigitheMan20 likes this.
  9. Catherine Franz

Y-you're corrupted...only death will cure you now...

JUSTICE FOR FL- TRUE EART- TRUE GI- WAMEN!!!

10. Daikon Ocelot

Well, don't blame it on me. Most of the kids in my school talk stuff like that (even some of the little kids too). Even though I didn't join the "stuff" their doing, watching or talking, but as time goes, you will understand your surrounding "dark side" of your environment, their secrets, riddles and codes they use to explain that *redacted* thingie.

Above post? I am sorry if it gone to far.

11. Catherine Franz

Don't take it seriously, it's meant for a gig/comedic lines from uhh shows... = w=

E: The art style seems similar to Tyle's

12. Daikon Ocelot

Thanks!
    Yes, I use the same program as her, and she's the one who teach me all of this.

Tyle and Catherine Franz like this.
  13. Catherine Franz

Oh that's nice (If only I can learn how to draw something other than a big O with lines for a body...that's right, a frickin stick figure...)

14. Daikon Ocelot

Maybe the Youtube can help you.

One more thing... sorry for before, I don't mean to say it that hard.

Catherine Franz likes this.
  15. Catherine Franz

I think em not fit for it at all, guess I'd just watch and uhh like any art I see and accept my fate...
    I may not be able to create art but I can make twisted uhh "ideas" = w=

16. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

I've always had a very simple stance on learning to draw: Anyone can do it. All it takes is the dedication.

Sure, some people are born with magical powers that let them draw a face perfectly just by looking at it. Good for them. As for us mortals, it takes back-breaking and arthritis-inducing practice. Any schmuck with a pencil (and preferably hands, though not necessarily) can go from some eldritch abomination that puts stick men to shame to actually half-decent so long as they're willing to put the work in, learn what they need to learn, and practice, practice, practice.

Obviously, not everyone wants to bother with that, and that's no big deal--it's a lot of work to get good at art, and if it doesn't matter to you, there's little point (it's not like you're liable to get rich off it). But if you're like me, and you have ideas that you simply must draw out on paper (or computer or dirt or whatever), you can make it happen.

Not wanting to derail this thread with my pep-talking, I'll spoiler some links to useful resources that helped me get started with drawing.

Cartoon Fundamentals by Carlos Gomes Cabral: This guy will set you straight on a lot of the fundamentals of drawing, especially for comic-work (the most fun kind of art). He has a whole series that I highly recommend you check out if you want to get started with drawing comic characters. Also, he introduces a lot of fundamentals like outlining character shapes, line of action, etc. He shouldn't be your only resource, but he's darn good to start with if you wanna learn.

How to Draw a Stick Figure by Monika Zagrobelna: Partially for the fun of it, partially because it goes over a surprisingly detailed array of human anatomy. Remember: studying human anatomy is very important if you want to draw figures (i.e. humans). Even if you're not going for hyper-realism, making sure the parts are all the right length in proportion to one another is very important.

The Bean and The Robo Bean by Proko (Slight nudity): A really good guide for if you do want to go for realistic human form. We used this resource in my college figure studies course, and every day started off by doing a half-dozen basic bean-structures. Essentially it gives a really easy way to mark out the basic body of a figure. Do be warned that the videos show sparsely dressed and sometimes nude models for drawing references--if that's a problem for you for any reason, stay away.

Human Anatomy Fundamentals by Joumana Medlej: Even just skimming through the article, she gives a lot of really good references for proportions. Seriously, learning how big each part of the body is compared to the rest is essential. Personally, I know it more by intuition these days, but articles like this give a very good run-down of how it all works.

Anywho, back on topic:

Nice! Your color palette is very pleasing to the eye, a soothing mix of tans that really go well together, making the characters feel like they really belong not only together but on the world they're on. The outfit designs, too, are very slick and polished, and are just fun in general.

Tiniest of nitpicks: there's a star in the moon's shadow that shouldn't be there (the dark part of a crescent moon is still part of the moon, the star is behind the moon, yadda yadda boring Debbie Downer science nonsense). That said, the exaggerated crescent is fun despite the scientific infeasibility--adds to the whimsy that I feel is inherent to Starbound. (Though if you wanted to get technical, it could also just be a full moon with a minor eclipse from another, smaller astral body--though how the moon would be at full light and the astral body would be in complete darkness would take some absurdly specific conditions; but I digress.)

17. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

I'm incredibly happy somebody actually wanted to learn from/with me, and you are one of the first to ask! would you be so kind to consider yourself my apprentice

18. Catherine Franz

@ _@ll When's the forum "Tyle teaches you how to draw" starting...?
    Pretty sure I'm gon' be that one who sits far back where the wall's shadow embrace my whole body to the point I'm nonexis- em out...

19. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

20. Daikon Ocelot

Believe me or not, at first, my drawing is really horrible. I can barely draw anything. All I can draw is a stickman, a secret weapon I used in every art class I face. I try to ask my art teacher on how to draw properly, but alas, it's like asking a rock. And then I try to ask my friend, it's the same, I got nothing, but anime. Finally, I try to look all of it myself, I search Youtube and Google. And it's worth it at least, finally I can draw something properly.

And here is the "first" female character I drew, after all that long time of "no clue at all."

Who Is She...
    [​IMG]
    She's an Aegi, by the way.
    Oh, that's okay. It is fine you're sharing that here.

And yes, I can't believe I forgot about the Moon. Let us just make a statement that the Moon is not round like a ball, but a crescent shape instead, and assume that a natural phenomenan is the cause of it.
    Why not, after all you're like an art teacher to me. I am just glad I finally found someone who can finally help my hobby.
    It start when I start to ask Tyle about Inkscape and curious of it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021