Modding Help SMAPI Help

Discussion in 'Mods' started by tattooedvixenxo, May 9, 2019.

1. tattooedvixenxo

tattooedvixenxo Space Hobo

Hi all!

I am having a hard time downloading SMAPI and mods. I don’t think all of the files that are supposed to download with SMAPI download with mine it also doesn’t require me to unzip the folder. It’s very weird and I’m not sure if that may be messing it up for me.
    I’m also not exactly sure where to place the SMAPI folder and mod folders (I can download the mods just fine).
    If I am explaining this terribly I apologize- I am not the most tech savvy gal lol

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

@tattooedvixenxo Did you download from here: https://smapi.io/? Once you download Smapi, just unzip it to the desktop - you're not going to need it once you're done installing. Open the folder and click on the installer for whichever OS your pc uses; a black box should pop up with instructions; Smapi places itself in your game folder and creates the Mod folder where you'll put what mods you want. There's also a beginners guide on the wiki to help you out.

tattooedvixenxo likes this.
      • tattooedvixenxo

Yes, I did download from there. But when I open the SMAPI and download it the windows way and do the black box and all it doesn’t look like all of the folders are there? I watched a YouTube video on how to do it and the way my laptop downloads SMAPI and how I downloads in the video is a bit different. I’ve downloaded and deleted SMAPI out numerous times to get the rest of the files (I had them all originally).
        I do have the mod folder so maybe I already have the SMAPI but I placed mod folders in that folder and nothing happened when I ran the game :(

Also, I apologize for the way I am wording this I just don’t understand all of the techy terms.

• Moragaine

Youtube videos are probably out of date. Look in your game folder. If there is a file there that says StardewModdingAPI, you have Smapi. Are you on Windows? Do you play the game thru Steam?

• tattooedvixenxo

I think I accidentally deleted my game folder? I had it when I was trying this whole thing out but I deleted out all of the mods and SMAPI and I think deleted that, as well.
            I definitely did not have that folder.
            I am on Windows and do play on Steam

• Moragaine

Well, you can redownload thru Steam, no problem. If you're serioius about playing with mods you might try joining the SdV discord and asking for help in the modding channel.

• tattooedvixenxo

I did uninstall and then reinstall SDV on Steam idk maybe idk even know where my game folder actually is.
                I did just join that discord group tho so thank you very much!