Dev Blog Starbound 1.4 – Bounty Hunter Update [Unstable]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Yeah... sorry... I think I ask to much. I just don't want to be shut again by Chucklefish.

Anyway, these updates is a beta, right? Where can I get one? I mean I am a GOG user, not a Steam one. So, yeah... I have no idea where to get these updates.

2. Starcat5

Starcat5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, that might explain the obscenely long boot time I have between starting the game, and reaching the title menu. The 30+ pages of Mods on Steam probably has more to do with it, though. :nurutease:

But even then, well over five minutes of loading screen, while the rest of the game runs with only "normal" levels of slowdown, might be a warning sign none the less. We'll just have to see once 1.4.0 renders all my mods unplayable and I am forced to play Vanilla again.

3. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I have played in vanilla almost 500 hours, I do not need FU, if you can play a game for 100 hours, it's a good game, 500? without mods? I do not need more, FU is not for everyone xD

Corraidhín likes this.
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The Steam Version has a Beta branch, IIRC, it should automatically be listed in your games library, you should have a Starbound and a "Starbound - Unstable" entry. If you're using GOG, I dunno. I don't think that's even possible, but then I'm not sure.

Starcat5 likes this.
  5. Daikon Ocelot

Oh... okay, at least I know now. Thanks!

6. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

I can't get it to work right. I go on a bounty hunt mission and it sends me to a spaceship that is completely empty. No enemies, no bounty, nothing.

7. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Just gotta say About time and Thank you all.

By the way this seems like a good time to add in the infamous novakid bandits we hear about in game and probably even recreate the famous epic scene that made us love the novakid race to begin with.

[​IMG]
    "Just a flesh wound!"
    (it really isn't and his critically hurt but he wont let that stop him! He can't let that stop him! He doesn't have time to bleed!)

Like i suggested in another thread maybe the nova-sheriff could be a badass clinteast wood like main antagonist we will work with, But that we first have to save in that scene and maybe the fat bandit boss gets away, and we have to fight him again and again later on.
    (Haven't tried the beta yet so i don't know if you guys have added him or not)

[​IMG]
    If you take my idea then i hope He saves us back in return in another mission.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. Daikon Ocelot

General Nuclear likes this.
  9. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

Well. CF.

Good Bloody job.

Finally some good news!

10. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

If it is a reportable bug, it is the best way to help the update be stable as soon as possible.

I prefer to wait, I have to translate the new content and it is possible that some file changes in the course of unstable to stable, and I would not like to edit something so that later I change xD so I'm biting my nails, wishing to try the update xD

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Knight9910 Probably because the bounty system isn't quite implemented yet. Beta branch and all that. Give them time.

A rule of thumb is it's best to wait a week or two after the beta hits the Unstable branch before even trying any of the new features.

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

But then how'll they get their precious feedback?

("boy, if I wanted my feed back I'd enter that chicken coop and get it myself!")

13. FernBlaze

FernBlaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

A first note: Yes I know this just came out, yes I know stuff is going to change really fast, but I just want to get my thoughts so far out there so that I don't forget to. Sorry if I come across as blunt or asking for things that are already definitely going to come, but I figured i'd do it anyway.

Ok so I played through most of the stuff, did the missions and everything and I'm... Mostly okay with how this is going so far? I'm really glad we're adding the bounty hunting. it's looking amazing at the moment but I do have a couple gripes. Some to do with the bounty hunting update and other things I just want to get updated.
    So first, let's get to what we already have.

The bounty hunting

The bounty hunting system, as I said is pretty great so far! A few things i'd suggest adding is more varieties of bandits (of course, this is only in beta so I'm sure you guys are working on that already), and less generic dialogue. Things such as "I won't forget this!" and such are cool and all, you really do feel like you're beating something, but maybe have the bandits learn something about your character? Perhaps just a snippet of dialogue referencing "oh, you defeated X with X weapon" or something, or even having the same bandit show up again, but stronger.

Something else I found was that there doesn't seem to be much payout in the bounty hunting system? Sure, you get pixels, but I feel like there should be something a bit more. Again, this is early beta so I'm 100% there'll be more added, but i'd like to say that maybe more things such as items, crewmembers, and the like would be much appreciated. Something as an incentive to make players say "Oh! I should be a bounty hunter instead of going off on my own!"
    The reason that a lot of people say that things might feel tacked on is because there is no incentive to actually do something instead of just going and getting the items and crewmembers themselves. If they don't feel like there's a reason to be space god, or a reason to drive a mech, or a reason to go hunting monsters on fuel-sucking planets, then why should we go?

Next is the bosses. The AI for them is... Less than smart, let me put it that way. But I'll only just leave that as it is, since again, beta.

Uhh a last thing would be that now is a great time to add all that novakid boss battle stuff that people have been asking for all over youtube and the forums. Some kind of top of the train battle maybe, the two famous novakids there's a ton of fanart for, etc. Maybe even bring them into the story a bit? (Nox puts a bounty on the player, boom incentive.)
    Anyways, you guys can look through the suggestions forums for those.

Next up,
    Performance

Please, please oh god please fix the performance of the game. Even without mods the game is sluggish at points even on a relatively high-end computer. Just a few things that would cut down on the amount of stuff being loaded at once, or even a performance saving mode, I don't care just please, I am begging you to make a QOL update to the game along with the new bounty hunting. Just... Please.
    edit: I also keep getting booted out of planets back to my ship, any idea why?

-+-

That's pretty much all. Anyone think I missed anything? Please add on to this. While we appreciate the update, there's a lot more to be done and since you asked for feedback, that's what we're going to give you.

also I'm posting this here because I happen to not have a reddit or literally anything else so... yah

Also just gonna.. second this here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
    General Nuclear, Ickura and Vrow like this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The thing is, though, is that feedback from early Beta is most likely going to consist of..

1). ____ is broken plz fix (well OBVIOUSLY they plan on fixing obvious stuff that's NYI/not finished/obvious bugs/etc)
    2). ____ would be cool too! (which may or may not already be planned/NYI)
    3). ____ doesn't give good enough rewards (maybe we should finish implementing the system and then tailor the rewards according to the difficulty/time investment? (Though, devil's advocate here, CF doesn't really like to hand out any kind of tangible rewards, see Colonies. They think that pixels is an OK reward for stuff in the game, despite them being 90% useless once you get past Tier 2).

Kinda need to wait for this stuff to be more fleshed out before we start throwing suggestions n such at them.

15. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

for some of those things, CF expects people to comment, I'm 100% sure they do not know all the bugs, the indie companies in general, when they get a beta, they expect people to "report bugs" to solve them, I know that they do not have a 100% dedicated team to look for bugs only (I say this for most indie companies), that's why it's so important for people to report bugs and comment if something they like or do not like and make their suggestions.

Those comments, CF expects you to say it in the Discord, they have said that they will be attentive to the comments and suggestions of the people, any report of bug or any opinion would be good to put it there, so they will see it faster, since it seems that the forum does not read much xD -> https://discord.gg/starbound

16. marutech

marutech Void-Bound Voyager

I just started playing again when I saw the beta (I needed a reason I think). Honestly, I have no idea for myself what is new, what is old... I feel like I need to go back to my old save and play through Stable again. Glad to see it is getting updates... it is a relaxing game, great for a good chill. I was a little sad though when I rebuilt my PC. I reopened my old save and went to a mega-town my husband and I made full of apartment. Still the exact same lag, so I guess it's down to my video-card or optimization... I figure optimization will be their focus. Looking forward to the update and hopefully reporting some bugs.

17. FernBlaze

FernBlaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

Only problem, i don't have a discord lol

18. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

You use from the browser, an account is created in 1 minute, if you want to contribute you can, if not, not xD

19. Daikon Ocelot

So, does it means other ideas too? Some other ideas not quite related with the current beta?

20. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Suggestions are suggestions, you can hear them but ignore them, or they might be of interest to you, like Hello Games with NMS, the game has ideas that people commented on reddit, things that would be good and things that should be changed, HG has done things bad in the past, nowadays are an example to follow, there are not many companies that listen to their users as they do, very few companies xD

Try, suggest things, give ideas, if they like something they could listen to you, this is how betas work, bugs are reported and suggestions are made about improvements or changes, which is what they expect you to do.