When will Wargroove release on GOG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WebBowser, Mar 8, 2019.

1. WebBowser

WebBowser Poptop Tamer

Are there any updates on when Wargroove will release on GOG? I know you guys said it was coming in the Feb announcement, but it's been well over a month since the last update and it's starting to feel like you guys have forgotten about it. I already bought this on the switch, but I have a friend who's a PC gamer and I'd like to surprise him by gifting him this game.

Thank you for your time in responding. Great job with the game by the way.

Vespa likes this.
    • MartiusR

MartiusR Master Chief

Yup, that's really good question, I'm also interested in answer!

Plenty of us, GOG users are impatiently waiting for GOG release, (since announcement "soon" on 1st February there was no update) Would be great if you could give us opportunity to buy your game on GOG (and let know when it will be possible).

Vespa likes this.
      • MartiusR

MartiusR Master Chief

I'm starting to think that you're not going to release it on GOG at all (despite the fact that there is already product page on GOG, with announced "Q1 2019" release date) or release it with many months delay.

REALLY have hope that you'll prove otherwise (in other words - I really don't want to be right in this case).

Vespa likes this.
        • WebBowser

WebBowser Poptop Tamer

Yeah, that would be really unfortunate. I really wanna double dip on this game.

• Potz

Potz Mop

The store page indicates 1st quarter 2019, which ends in a few days. Would it be possible to have a clearer release date on GOG if it has to be later than that ?

• WebBowser

WebBowser Poptop Tamer

Whelp, RIP Q1 release date. Literally any communication on the matter would be appreciated. Heck, even an acknowledgement that gog exists and the release fell behind schedule would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of respect for you guys, and just looking at this community, you have plenty of fan goodwill to go around. Communicating when things don't go to plan will frequently generate a positive response, as opposed to a negative one (case in point: development update on metroid prime 4). This actually means quite a bit to me.

Vespa likes this.
              • MartiusR

MartiusR Master Chief

They've changed on GOG about 4 days ago description from "Q1 2019" to "Q2 2019".

Of course there is zero certainty, that it means anything, because what's the problem with repeating it after June and change it again?

Plus fact that entire Chucklefish team is not bothering to answer to anybody asking about GOG release, nor on their forum, nor on twitter nor anywhere else (even in their mail support), is meaning a lot (in opposity to those who are asking about PS4 release, those are at least receiving ANY answer, rarely and vague, but still).

What's so big problem with release of game which is already released on PC? Well, I think that I've found some probable explanation on GOG forum. And sadly - I've got zero reasons to not believe in this version (sorry, but not going to quote it there).

Vespa likes this.
                • Furo1981

Furo1981 Poptop Tamer

I must say when I viewed the first reviews about Wargroove I was totally into it and wanted to get it right away. Then I found out it's not out yet on either of my platforms - PS4 and GOG.
                  So I waited for GOG release in Q1.
                  Now here we are in Q2, no Wargroove on either platform still.
                  I have bought Dead Cells, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Valiant Hearts in the meantime.
                  Well ... I decided if I'm gonna buy Wargroove at all, then I'll do it a long time from now in a 75% sale or so.
                  There's too many good games out to deal with this kind of hassle.

Vespa likes this.
                  • Shubeans

Shubeans QA Wizard Chucklefish

We're really sorry that we've not been keeping the community up to date with GOG stuff. We've not been ignoring you, we've just had no news.
                    Unfortunately, we still have no news. We are still discussing it and in the process of getting onto GOG but we do't have an ETA release.

Hopefully we can update you as soon as we know more information. Sorry for the delay to both this message, and to the GOG release!

• Midnight Tea

Midnight Tea Phantasmal Quasar

The one thing I'm most curious about is if GOG players can still enjoy crossplay with Steam and Switch. If so, that'd be kind of amazing because Wargroove itself is one of the most well-optimized and accessible games I'd ever seen on the market outside of, say, a Ludosity published game.

• MartiusR

MartiusR Master Chief

Umm, but something HAS happened since you've changed initial "Q1 2019" on "Q2 2019", right? (what was the reason?) Not to mention about game which has already PC version, yet by some reasons it's so problematic to release it on GOG almost 2,5 months after steam release. This situation rises a lot of questions and is far from transparency (from customer's point of view), if something like that is happening and you still don't have nothing to say about it.

But really have hope that rather sooner than later you'll reveal something for us and before actual release date (whenever this one is supposed to be).

Vespa likes this.
                        • Midnight Tea

Martius, there's no reason to be antagonistic towards the devs. Release dates change, especially vague ones. They're not obligated to tell you why. Based on your comment about how simple transitioning from Steam to GOG must be, I sincerely doubt you understand the scope of what's going on under the hood with Wargroove. I don't know either but there's a LOT of stuff to test like networking, crossplay, whether different platforms have infrastructure that could cause a serious error. I also get the sense that it's a small team working on this game so they have a lot of things to test with only so much manpower to do it. (and if so then honestly, I'm glad they're not doing the current industry standard thing of hiring too many people, crunching them to death and then laying them off after release)

Anyways. This isn't new. Wargroove has been in development for a very long time and it's pretty rare Chucklefish over the years has even released hints they were still working on it at all. We could discuss on whether this is good policy or whatever, but you're not their boss. And if you tell me "well I'm their potential customer", I've already bought a copy on Steam, intend to buy another on GOG, got at least six friends to buy it, I'm going to buy another if I ever get a Switch. And I'm gonna buy one for a friend on GOG, already have the money set aside in my GOG wallet. I have their back and I'm understanding of how they do things. So even if they lost your patronage by not indulging you, I doubt it's going to matter.

I also have an enormous steam backlog, so I'm not going to be hurting for any games to play in the wait time. I've been waiting since Wargroove was first announced years ago, a few more weeks to an extra month or two isn't going to kill me.

• WebBowser

WebBowser Poptop Tamer

I appreciate the reply @Shubeans. I understand, sometimes plans just don't go quite as intended. Thanks for acknowledging us and confirming that the port is still in progress. I want to reiterate @Midnight Tea 's praise that this truly is one of the neatest, most accessible games I've seen in a very long time. The game's accessibility in particular was improved massively with the tile info improvements from the most recent patch, where barely legible mini-portraits were replaced with easily distinguishable icons. That was a great call and I really respect your teams ability to listen to and accept community feedback.

Midnight Tea likes this.
                            • Furo1981

Furo1981 Poptop Tamer

Well after all the customer decides what he/she deems transparent or not, appropriate or not, acceptable or not - and in the end if he/she will buy the product or not. And I guess everyone can have their own opinion about that - no need to be offensive or judging about people's opinions.

Vespa likes this.
                              • Midnight Tea

Well, gaming culture is really toxic in some places. Community managers sometimes get put through the wringer from confrontational gamers who have touched more cheetos than they'll ever touch another human being. (not saying MartiusR is this, they're actually rather civil comparatively, but I see it a lot in other places)

As someone who's also a customer, I try to stand up for them when I can. In fact, it's to a point if a friend told me "I think I want to make games for a living" I would actually try very hard to dissuade them because of how things are right now. They don't have to be this way and I'd like it to stop.

https://medium.com/@morganjaffit/the-cost-of-doing-business-c09cc5cc8728

Anyways, sorry for derailing the topic. I am still curious if GOG will have crossplay.

• MartiusR

MartiusR Master Chief

@Midnight Tea
                                  First of all - while I am against excessively demanding attitude amongst customers, I'm also follower of the golden rule in every business (also video games, no matter if indie or AAA) - customer comes first (also appearing as "client first" or "our client is our master".

Otherwise it's ending like in case of Galaxy Trail and their, khem, "community contact", Seraphna - aggresive and arrogant lady, who is openly denying facts revealed previously (only because release date wasn't anymore relevant) and literally blaming people for asking about responsibility regarding announced DLC, which was never made etc. And trust me, I don't want to Chucklefish became similar case, only because their, let's say "too loyal" fans are helping in literally "squashing" any negative feedback.

Basing on experience with GOG's releases (often "castrated" from online content, or not allowing to play online with owners of non-gog version of the game), I'm at this point sceptical about amount of "technical work" of adjusting Wargroove to GOG. Yes indeed, I probably don't know (or rather "don't estimate) accurately amount of work with this transition - but it's not my role, that's the developer's part. Plus I admit one of the GOG's users has made quite possible assumption about delay of Wargroove, completely not connected with technical work - it's not bringing too much glory to Chucklefish, so I didn't quote it here, as I consider it only as (even if highly probable) speculation. All of this, plus lack of any word of explanation about what's happened, why sudden delay, etc - oh, and don't forget that in this topic, dev's representant admitted that there are still "discussing" the case. And that's literally it, "discussing" - that's hardly working on adjustment to GOG release (if there will be any aside from "cutting" online content).

Last, but not least - I'm currently not very positive about Chucklefish "communication" style, but I'm still determined to buy their game on GOG. And if in the meanwhile I'll receive reason to change my opinion (e.g. receiving info about reasons of delay, or concrete date of relase BEFORE actual release), I will be more than happy to change my mind.

Vespa likes this.
                                  • Vespa

Vespa Big Damn Hero

Arriving here via a Google search for news regarding Wargroove's delayed release on my preferred outlet, GOG (as there is no news there), I found this thread. I dread the thought of perusing other threads, as this is upsetting. I fear reviewing other threads will be akin to diving into a cesspool.

The poor behavior of a few users here is unhealthy and abhorrent. The lack of moderation is disappointing. The above quoted post is the most toxic of the posts in this thread, which ironically opens with a sentence mentioning toxicity in gaming culture. Whether it's gaming, politics or religion, it's interesting how often this happens.

It disappoints me that Chucklefish has not proactively relayed information regarding the release of this title on GOG. It's further disappointing that they haven't responded to queries. That moderators aren't addressing unhealthy content such as the above is even more disappointing. It appears this behavior may be what some call silently encouraged, which I've seen elsewhere.

I once found these forums to be a safe and welcoming friendly community. They aren't now.

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There is nothing toxic about the post.

But your actions on the other hand can be deemed toxic after all aren't you the one increasing the font size of your text to make light of a reply simply stating the facts?
                                      Did that person attack any person? No. Did you on the other hand? yes.

The main issue here is you don't seem to understand the situation.
                                      If you pre-ordered the game on GoG and it got delayed without any sort of information - you are absolutely right customers should be kept in the loop.

But there is no Pre-Order available which means no money has exchanged hands, no promises were made for delivery of a product.
                                      Which means it changes your status from a customer into an overly impatient fan.

An constantly repeating the same question expecting a different reply, then becoming hostile when you don't get reply you want, well that is by the very definition toxic behavior isn't it?
                                      Which is exactly what the user is trying to highlight, in a friendlier manner than my direct approach. I needed to be direct to make sure there is absolutely no further confusion.

With that said, I am sure CF will reveal a date when the issues have been resolved which is preventing the release on GoG.
                                      To give you a rough idea of development release, it isn't simply a case of uploading a file and it magically available such as Ebay.

It requires;
                                      • Contract negotiations.
                                      • Licensing agreements.
                                      • Proof of licensing issues
                                      • Having technical work around for features specific to the distribution platform. ( GoG uses Galaxy )
                                      • Programmers availability for those specific tasks to make changes.
                                      • 3rd party license approvals.

Just to name a few.
                                      So hopefully this clears up a lot of confusions you seem to be having.

WebBowser and Midnight Tea like this.
                                      • Furo1981

Furo1981 Poptop Tamer

I smell some intense Fanboyism in here

• MartiusR

MartiusR Master Chief

Truth be told, if someone from Chucklefish could state officialy what Shubeans mentioned much earlier (instead of not replying anything on questions raised on twitter, forum etc), it would make lower tension and not leaving (awaiting for long time) GOG users with unpleasant feeling of being ignored. Rest of discussion was rather "fruit" of this initial lack of proper statement on time. But on the good side, whole situation probably brought positive aspect, in "learning value" for Chucklefish, in terms of communication. It's always something, even if lesson is bitter, fruits of this lesson are more important.

Saying this, I'm aware that as moderator of this forum, you're in rather uncomfortable situation of "must always take side" of developer, but without knowing anything about "the kitchen" of developer, and in effect, playing role of someone who doesn't know, but "lecture" others. No hard feelings, just know how it is, since I've seen this motive (with moderator's role) on many other forums.

P.S. No need to answer of second paragraph of my post, I'm 100% aware that "officially" you will disagree with it, even if deeply in your heart you're agreeing* with it :)

*And if you're not? Well, it's your right.