1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I would like to start making custom weapons

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by theflamingchuthulu, Sep 24, 2018.

1. theflamingchuthulu

theflamingchuthulu Big Damn Hero

I have wanted to make custom weapons. What do you think is a good start?

2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Try making custom guns (they are easier than swords)

3. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Also post up in the modding subforum. You get faster/sometimes better advice as some modders rarely read this forum. I'm actually kinda surprised you got a reply AND a forum moderator didn't move the thread to modding already.

4. Echo710

Echo710 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Here's some links for some custom item making tutorials-

http://johnsnail.tumblr.com/post/148740112155/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-custom-items-using - An old but sufficient guide to custom weapon making
    https://starbounder.org/Modding:Custom_Weapons - A really old guide that I've made- it really needs an update, but I'm a tad bit lazy:)
    https://thatthundercookie.tumblr.com/ - A collection of custom weapons- Take a look at them and try to reverse engineer, that's how I first learnt how to make custom items!

5. theflamingchuthulu

Thanks! I haven't been here in a while :hylotl:

6. Theguywhoisrightbehindyou

Theguywhoisrightbehindyou Space Spelunker

how to get custom images for custom weapons

7. Echo710

Echo710 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Drawables. Search em up, a lil application is used in order to add custom images.

8. Theguywhoisrightbehindyou

i have to wait until my new windows gets here
    im sad now

i just need windows for that
    i have mac >->

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2019
  9. theflamingchuthulu

I'll look it up too, I know that (from looking at code of custom weapons ThatThunderCookie has made. (no copying i swear)) but that sounds easier than a bunch of random seeming code and characters that most people use to texture, color and position a weapon part. It's just pixel art and a simple command statement.

Don't worry theguywhoisrightbehindyou (that i have forgotten the correct capitalization of name), it'll come eventually. Time is a weird thing. It seems longer if you wait for something, and time is not only relative by planetary mass but by perception. (a lot of animals perceive time as longer or shorter than us), just get distracted. Works every time. ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. Theguywhoisrightbehindyou

well guess what
    :rofl: I CAN USE THE Starbound Hatter (not the pro version) to make meh custom items, albeit with an extra step
    customized gaster blasters are already done
    much happy that i got the Armageddon done (needs more block destroying capabilities)
    speaking of which, does anyone know how i could make any projectile capable of destroying blocks by hitting them?

agreed 100 percent.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
    theflamingchuthulu likes this.