1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Starbound story potential?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Starfan87, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Starfan87

Starfan87 Void-Bound Voyager

In the starbound game, you can play the story mode and eventually come from the protectorate and take vengeance and kill the ruin while making a group of friends: nuru , koichi, the glitch and that avian bird thing. But wouldnt it be better to have an extended story? Starbound has so much potential for a story. The ancient technology, avian hierarchy, and the mystery if the glitch of the novakid. Being that starbound is a futuristic game, having a full potential to have an amazing story. ?do the developers t not see it? Or are they doing this on purpose to keep starbound interesting? This is basically star wars! Am I overexaggerating? Someone please tell me this.

2. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

Don't forget that Asra Nox is still out there somewhere.

STCW262 and Starfan87 like this.
  3. NebulaeArche

NebulaeArche Aquatic Astronaut

You're not the only one who sees the potential this game has story-wise. The Novakids are my favorite race, and I wish more lore would added on concerning them. I'm not exactly sure if there's any plans to do that though. I think they could add in more story-quests that are optional, and elaborate more on the cultures of the races and the history of this universe. At the same time though, I think the team was planning on letting the players come up with their own head-cannons which would be influenced by each player's own personal experiences and findings. This adds into the open-sandbox game-play by giving more power to personal interpretation. I have my own personal thoughts and ideas that another person would probably disagree with completely.

Still, I do wonder if they plan on continuing the story in some way. Just like TTStooge said, Asra Nox is still out there with the same outlook as she did before. If not, then at least they gave us some fanfic fuel.

777JackOfBlades likes this.
  4. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It'd be nice if one of the patches embellished on the story. Maybe even added a new optional storyline like helping to defeat the Stargazers (the Avian zealots,) or the Miniknog (the Apex dictators.) Maybe you'd get an optional storyline post-story depending on which species you play as.

Edit: It'd be very cool if Humans could defeat the cultists and fight Asra Nox again (even though it'd be heavily implied she got away again, leaving room for a sequel to Starbound.)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. Kirstern

Kirstern Void-Bound Voyager

Hey! I've been digging around in the old beta lore, and think that the reintroduction of some of those concepts to the game would really make the story less (no offence to the writers) bland. I mean, seriously, some of this stuff is really cool.

6. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Might be nice to add Asra as one of the npcs in the Outpost since there is still one more space behind Lana Blake and make the Occasus change their ways starting by their leader,who knows they can be the new Protectorate!!

7. Kirstern

That sounds cool! Would it be a post-main game thing?
    Also, what did you think about the Ruin? I'm pretty sure that it was characterized as being inherently evil. Do you think any lore about the Ruin could be changed?
    What did you think of the main missions?

Sorry if it seems as though I'm interrogating you or anything.
    :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  8. Catherine Franz

I think the Ruin can't be changed since it will "break the balance of the universe" (hoho that sounds smart :rofl:) like what most old uh wise peeps say "where there is life,there must always be death.." type of thing soo I guess it has a role to destroy 'cause it's what IT needs to do and what is created to do but the real question for me is who/what made the Ruin...and Asra isn't really that bad 'cause she is just deep in her anger to other races based on her backstory so there's still a chance that she can change her ways.

9. Kirstern

The closest thing which I can compare the Ruin to is the big space monster from Zog (which I didn't play). It isn't evil, it's just passively destroying entire planets, but it is a threat. The Ruin is probably just a weird organism or something.
    The Cultivator is a "helpless god" character, which I think is really interesting, but how could any of the playable races have artifacts? Like, the Florans and Hylotl are young races. How long ago was the Cultivator still around compared to the time that the game starts? Or maybe the artifacts were just... found by the races? Idk.
    Arsa could be one of the "good guys", but if she suddenly became the exact opposite of every single thing that she is and if this directly contradicted her backstory via some lazy excuse (ie. amnesia), I think that a lot of people would complain.

Ickura likes this.
  10. Catherine Franz

Hmm,If I remember correctly I think Esther explained it to us that the Cultivator gave the six races different artifacts (not sure when though maybe ancient times? Dunno about this young race thingie about hylotl and floran) and Esther's journal should explain her backstory (codex) that explains why she hates other races then I guess she got consumed by her hatred or revenge and once she found the Ruin's gate,she probably thought that the Ruin itself will be the tool she needs to wipe out every other races except humans. (She tells her goal in the heart of Ruin area when you beat her)

11. Kirstern

I agree.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. Catherine Franz

Main intro is meh..main plotline is meh..I wonder if they can make a gate that can travel back in time where you can save Earth...I mean we have ancient entities and ancient vaults aka ancient techies so making one can't make a hard impact to the story..defeating the ruin is kinda meh..didn't feel the satisfaction aside from yey!! final boss!! now what.. (just thought this up when i tried the return to earth and extended story mod)

13. Kirstern

I agree about the main in-game story being mediocre. I think that the best things about Starbound are the races and the gameplay- it falls a bit short on the "having a main quest" thing.

14. Flirtyfloran

Flirtyfloran Starship Captain

I think that a prelouge would be a great Idea to explain how you enter the protectorate.

15. NPete28

NPete28 Poptop Tamer

This is a good idea. Maybe they could add a race-specific questline for after the Ruin. Humans could fight Nox again, Florans could try to become a greenfinger, Hylotl could try to restore the grand pagoda library, Avians could try to defeat the stargazers, Apex could overthrow the minkinog, Glitch could try to get justice for self-aware glitch, and Novakids could discover their origin.

16. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Those are actually not a bad idea. Considering on what will we do after we defeating the Ruin. There is nothing much we can do other than saying "now what?" or "what? That's all?"