Digital {COMIC} the crusty art thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FernBlaze, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FernBlaze

FernBlaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hiya! I'm a bit new to this forum, so p l e a s e tell me if I do anything wrong, ahah.
    I HAVE SO MUCH STARBOUND ART

SO..
    FREAKING..
    MUCH.
    So i decided to post it somewhere where people actually cared about startbound lol-
    Expect lots of SB comic warmups and novakids.
    INSIDE SPOILER IS ALL VERY OLD ART! PLEASE LOOK AT MY LATEST STUFF AHAH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I DONT do requests (for now, since i'm usually pretty inactive)

Also for quality 100% garunteed to make you cry memes click here:
    https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/239670216/

EDIT: We've started! It's on the second page.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. superconsole

superconsole Queen of Chickens Chucklefish

This isn't crusty at all! Love the Novakid art in particular :D

3. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Those are very nifty art ! I especially like the Floran one, cuz she reminds me of Star , from SVTFOE.

Ooops, before I forgot, Welcome! to the forums!

4. FernBlaze

AcK! Tysm, haha. Novakids are byfar my favorites (tho i need to figure out how to make them look more like gas and fire and not.. slime oops)

Tysm! Xara reminds me a bit of star too, her personality is very close to the whole "perpetually happy character trope", but i'm trying to potentially develop her a bit more than that oops.

Crossfang likes this.
  5. FernBlaze

Oh jeez, it sure has been a while! Figured i'd post an update here.. It's a shame the community is relatively inactive here :,/
    My art has def improved a bit atleast!

I've gotten back into development of the comic after a small hiatus, and I'm currently working on reliable references...

These go in order from oldest to newest!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apathy Applied likes this.
  6. FernBlaze

Hmm yes got sum REFERENCES
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ Full ref is a wip but it works for now, I can probably draw Zara with my eyes closed at this point so I don't see a need for a full reference for her, just a color palette, which is why shes not on the thread.
    edit: proof-
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Apathy Applied likes this.
  7. Captain Karo

Captain Karo Cosmic Narwhal

I love your style! Keep it up!

As far as community inactivity... It’s been this way for a while. People still lurk though. (Like me...)

FernBlaze likes this.
  8. FernBlaze

Thank you so much for the kind words! And yeah, It's a shame, really. I see a couple every once in a while on Toyhou.se tho :,)

[​IMG]

Captain Karo likes this.
  9. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

I love your style! It has a kind of cartoony-gesture style I'm partial to, and which I haven't seen used much with Starbound. The characters show a lot of personality just in their postures and dimensions, and their color palettes are universally appealing.

Also, you mentioned that you were working on a comic--is there somewhere that you post that, or plan to in the future? (Also, is there anywhere else you post art regularly? I'd love to follow your work!)

10. theflamingchuthulu

theflamingchuthulu Big Damn Hero

I too like these. Yes they do show a lot of character with just their poses. They look like they ARE their personality. I like that. :)

11. FernBlaze

Thank you guys so much! I'm not quite sure where I'm going to be posting the comic, it's mostly scraps and boards at the moment (I'm focusing on character dev and making sure I can draw all of the characters and know the story by heart before I 100%), but I'll make sure to let you guys know .w.
    To Vurrunna, I post a lot of my art on my Toyhouse and occasionally on flight rising! (Mainly in art shops)
    I'm glad you guys enjoy my art! It means a lot to me and knowing people are interested makes me feel a lot better to fully committing to the project over this summer :,)

ALSO, ALSO ALSO
    I FINALIZED FREYR'S REFSHEET! She was the final ref I needed for the main crew meaning colorpicking and such will be a HECK of a lot easier. (The sketch from before was far too messy whoopsies)
    ( I've learned from my mistakes before, just click on this ---> https://i.imgur.com/w3b8DWr.png , inserting it is waaaay too large lol )

Edit: Bonus! Before bed experimenting
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  12. FernBlaze

[​IMG]
    You find a seed in the middle of the forest. A floran seed, to be exact. Why it's there is anyone's guess.

13. FernBlaze

[​IMG]

You pick it up. It seems to be abandoned in the forest. How did you get here...? You don't recall florans leaving their young unattended, despite the barbarians they were.
    You can't just leave it there, like someone else did, but...

Knowing you'd have to leave your clan to take care of a separate race for fear of being shunned, were you really willing to give it up, just like that, for a tiny seed in the trees?

You'd keep after it in secret for now.

14. FernBlaze

15. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

"Hey, uh, not to be insensitive, but, have you noticed that Zara seems a bit... Different for a Floran?"

"Oh yeah, I think it's 'cause she was born from a cup."

"... Wat"

Captain Karo likes this.
  16. theflamingchuthulu

17. FernBlaze

Lol
    My headcanon for how florans are a thing is pretty different so I guess I can see how people think thats w e i rd
    Basically : "seed-flower-eventually humanoid thing-then kinda humanoid form"

Also flye doesn't even know how to care for a floran so r i p

at least zara isn't the result of butt scoots or whatever that was

18. theflamingchuthulu

lol again! Most races in starbound respawn the same way that they are born, just excellerated using tech. Florans in respawn animations start as a seed that grows into flower peeling open and then a floran pops out of the flower (that's how it works in my head cannons.). Butt rubbing wasn't even cannon, someone just said that it was. and they weren't a dev. If you mean that they just drop a seed instead of butt-rubbing to pollinate it. Though, that wasn't what i thought was funny. " 'She was born in a cup.' 'no wonder she's different for a floran.' " I thought that was funny. I actually thought butt-rubbing was really funny, so i kept that. anyway. Sorry for the long reply, I'm not the shortest-answer person. :)

19. FernBlaze

lol I’m aware that it’s a joke, but it’s probably the best joke headcanon out there because people have actually used it in canon before :,)))

I should make a reference to it at some point :p

((Also want to know why it’s in a jar? I was too lazy to paint a pod lmao)) ((I’m not lazy in the slightest wdym g u y S))

20. FernBlaze

WARNING: Edgy glitch effects and flashing / shaking, if you have epilepsy take precaution I guess-

The forums won't let me post the gifs, so I've compiled them on imgur.

Also, for those who haven't really picked up on this yet, this is not the start of the comic, which is why it's a bit ""cryptic"", and it's more of an intro to shards of memories and histories!

The reason i'm posting / working on all of this now is because I don't have enough time atm to work on actual panels, so I'm planning on moving the work to the summer when i'll have the time (and energy) to actually get stuff done :)