Dev Blog Starbound on the Discord Store

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Yeah.
    Not to mention their reasoning for scrapping it was... Iffy. They stated they removed it because it felt like a tacked on, not well-integrated feature.
    Despite most of the major new features added up to and past 1.0 feeling tacked on and not well-integrated to a large portion of the playerbase.
    But despite that, it was still content, it was still a new system, it was still something substantial.
    And then, after a long time of radio silence... It wasn't.
    And then came even more radio silence.
    Then came assurances.
    Then silence.
    Etcetera.

2. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Nothing screams louder than the sound of silence."

In fact, I'm about to get deaf.

Vrow and Kaimando like this.
  3. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I am shocked not to have heard anything, I actually have given up on the game, not to mention the achievements are tacking on as well since the content to even remotely try for them is...a grind fest. 100 citizens helped. I rather play 10 different games in that time. As long as the Radio silence is a way of saying "we are making more starbound content" and then randomly hit us with an update we never got info on. I am all good, but if they aren't working on anything period, then just tell us the game is done. Just gonna hit the shelf like MineCraft lol

HI-MAX² and Kaimando like this.
  4. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

It's called Tinnitus! xD

You're not the first one to realise that after making a read in that discussion. We all have already acknowledged the Valve-esque techniques of Chucklefish devs' saying "Soon". IMO it is a very elongated dying period in which we all gotta agree. Sadly.

HI-MAX² likes this.
  5. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

[​IMG]

"where's my update?"

6. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right behind ya.

Or maybe not? Who knows.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You meme now, but consider what information we got from the 2 year anniversary(the one that said at the same time that bounty hunting was no longer a thing). the xbox update was "in its final qa checks" with a few final performance changes before being sent to Microsoft...and that post was 7 months ago.

Something derailed this. Whether it was Wargroove or manpower issues or a last minute major failure in the code, I can't say. but I can say that the questions about 1.4 and console releases will just keep being asked by different people, because it was indeed something in the works at that time.

8. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it was by this forum i discovered Hytale, now i have something to look forward to

if there is something i've learned looking at valve is that when a company simply doesn't care about a product as loved as this is, no amount of failure, reason, threads or petition is going to fix it, they only care if they even care when the game is already dead and they are filling for bankruptcy

9. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

My prediction is that this thread will be full of memes in the future. "Update" and "soon" memes.

I mean, by looking at the two pictures above.

Kaimando likes this.
  10. DarkBirdo

DarkBirdo Phantasmal Quasar

I am more hopeful for the mods than the game itself.
    I have no hope for the continued development of the game.
    I think Chucklefish bit way more than they could chew. How many games are they making?

11. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

Is that a damn Haiku? xD

I doubt that. TBH i did it 'cause it shouts out loudly: "HEY! WE ARE STILL HERE WAITIN' ". Also it's full of pastel coloring so it does catch the eye of a visitor.

@Lintton is correct. Something has had to happen and whatever the reason is- it made the chucklefish a mutefish. Or a... uhm. Distracto-fish. 'coz Wargroove.

The Squid likes this.
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Negatory. The third line is blatantly too long, just for starters.

The Squid likes this.
  13. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

Do anyone played/remember Darkout ?, same radio silence, about starbound.- my opinion is that Chucklefish could start an sequel, with better engine,- i`v already enjoyed this one ....hundreds hours...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Lintton likes this.
  14. AbsoluteXeroEX

AbsoluteXeroEX Phantasmal Quasar

So it begins (TM)

15. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

[​IMG]

For those that wonder devs deleted the picture because ''it didn't have any text on it''

[​IMG]

There is text right on the picture for crying out loud!

Anyway back to whats matters the most WHERES MY UPDATE!
    I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR FIVE YEARS NOW AND I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    The Squid and Vrow like this.
  16. Vrow

Vrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Inb4 it's deleted again because you'd be "Technically" "Reposting" it.

And to make sure my post isn't being deleted since it's not "related to the thread", I'll just chime in and mention it's been around 5 Months since the last Blogpost that specifically had "Soon" in it. And that also the last time the @ Starbound twitter (quick edit to remove the mention, my bad!) replied to someone that wasn't just a featured Build Screenshot was February 13th. I'm not sure about the Discord activity since I haven't been keeping tabs on it.

And finally, I wonder what would Chucklefish even try to add since they don't seem really keen with optimization and that the content they had been working for months, the Bounty Hunter update, was scrapped.

The Squid and General Nuclear like this.
  17. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Are you looking for people to hire and work on the next update, if it comes some day, soon? :rofl::rofl: is not in a hurry, there are modders expanding the game for free :chucklefish:

18. Vrow

Vrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wasn't aware that I needed to be a Game-Developing/Publisher-Company-Who's-Focusing-Entirely-on-New-IPs-While-Ignoring-Their-First-IP-After-Periodic-Blogposts/Communicating-That-"No, We're Still Developing our First IP"-Even-Though-There-Hasn't-Been-Another-Official-Reminder-In-5-Months to be able to point out their lack of communicating through their own platforms, only to leave their own consumer base to have to find such information themselves through any platform that isn't their official ones. Like the various employees leaving the company without announcing them, or without even mentioning the Hiring Sign FOR STARBOUND in the STARBOUND BLOG.

But sure. I'm not a company therefore my input is invalid.

This will be my 3rd or 4th (or perhaps even 5th) time saying this, but again: Just because a game is mod-friendly, it doesn't excuse the developers or getting away with poor performance issues or questionable decisions such as Not Having a Skip Cutscene Button in your 1.0 Release (and then still not having it in future updates), or even the mind boggling problem that seemingly affects people's performance at random regardless of their specs unless you're on Linux, which apparently seems to be a 100% guarantee that it's more stable than other versions.

Hell. If you want to use Mods as a get-out-of-jail free card, therefore Bethesda must be the greatest developing team ever since there's So Many Mods for Skyrim/Elder Scrolls even when the basegame isn't exactly mod-friendly. (Although the only downside of comparing the situation with Skyrim is that At Least Bethesda never said it'd continue Skyrim's Development, which is something Chucklefish hasn't done)

19. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

@Vrow 's right. The problem- stating it again... Is that CF just literally bailed on us like rats from a sinking ship. There's no explanation WHY, WHEN or WHAT happened with starbound itself, and they must've at least read our debate ONCE! Considering one post got deleted! I know mods are a different unit etc etc. but someone has had to read it to delete it. I highly doubt it someone was just reporting a meme. Unles someone got offended coz its an old cartoon. :V:chucklefish:

Boshed and Vrow like this.
  20. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I think that the "tone" of my message has not been understood, the part of the message in which I say "there is no hurry, there are modders expanding the game for free", it is sarcastic, I imagine that CF must think something like that xD

Kaimando likes this.