Dev Blog Starbound on the Discord Store

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

It would be nice to know they are still working on Sb. But - and as you can read in this thread, this goes for others as well - I would even be somewhat okay with them discontinuing development. What I am not okay with is saying there would be news "soon" and then not posting a single thing in... How many months now? 4? More than that?

The Squid and HI-MAX² like this.
  2. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Some companies do this, especially indies, Hello Gams was many months without saying anything, and began to update the game with several very large updates, today the game is very worthwhile and has more content than expected.

One can think that they are looking for those workers, or that they already have them but they are working on a big update, because after the silence the minimum that could be expected would be a big update like:

New mechanics
    Many new decorative or wearable objects, weapons type, etc.
    Give the Novakids a reason to exist, because they do not have one.
    Even why not, a new race with its corresponding artifact, because if we see this:

[​IMG]

Down the whole to the right of the portal, next to the Novakid symbol (which has no artifact, so I say that this race has no reason for existence, they have no history), we can see a hole, what is it? an old race that no longer exists? or a gap for a new race that they had planned to implement?

And if it was a race that no longer exists, they could create books that tell their story, we can find artifacts of some kind, ancient weapons, objects, etc of that ancient race, the possibilities are inifinitas, you just have to have desire, people and money for it (That is not little xD).

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Let's not forget, @davoker, that the novakids weren't originally planned to go in the game. They were a stretch goal based on a mod idea, shoehorned into the game's mythology as fragments of the Cultivator. They're not depicted in the artwork about the Cultivator's defeat of the Ruin because they didn't exist before that fight.

4. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just ordered a SN30 Pro SN from the other side of the world. It should be in my hands within 3 months.

Let's see what comes first, the gamepad or an update...

JetPack925 likes this.
  5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Subtle, I'll give you that.

JetPack925 likes this.
  6. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

This bothers me...
    Novakid were created after the Cultivator died... but isn't it also implied the Cultivator made the Ark and the Gateway to seal the Ruin away?...
    But the gateway has Novakid on it... Which implies the Cultivator knew they would be created? Or that they already existed?...
    Shoehorned doesn't even begin to describe their implementation, unfortunately.

7. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Good data, I would like to know that too.

8. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Sorry but no....you can't compare these guys to Hello Games....HG had at most gone quiet for a year and even then they were never really gone...they had an ARG going to communicate with the fans that they were in fact still working and content was indeed coming and never made promises about timelines and then just pretended they never happened. CF has put nothing into this game for over a year and a half now I believe and have repeatedly promised announcements would come "very soon" and they never did....on top of that they kept announcing different stuff every time and none of it happened....announced 1.4, gone to never be spoken of again, promised console port/s, gone to never be spoken of again, and then popped up to announce the game released on...flipping Discord...which did happen but that needed almost no work, it was just a different retailer distributing the same files.

Hello Games just delivered, made no promises they didn't keep, and made all of it happen....ports to another console and massive updates. ChuckleFish just up and abandoned StarBound at this point....if anyone is still touching this game at all it's no more than handful at most.

JetPack925 and lordbociek like this.
  9. Shaadaris

Ooooh boy are you wrong there.
    Granted, the game is a lot closer to what they promised then, now... But it took a rushed release that lacked 80% of what they had hyped up and huge community backlash before they said a peep or started work on improving things. In a way that's similar to what 1.1-1.3 was for Starbound, though on a much smaller scale and... Chucklefish are still way off on what the fans were expecting based on what the devs said... Soooo... I'd still say it compares unfavourably to the NMS situation on some levels.
    ...And that hurts to say.

Boshed likes this.
  10. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

You can compare but at certain levels, HG messed up the bottom but knew how to fix it and now there is more content of the fiance, his tendency to silence for months is usual, but they compensate with great updates.

CF has promised something and at the moment has not been fulfilled, not only has not been fulfilled, but also announced the cancellation of an update, then they tell you that "soon" will give you news, but "soon" is not 4 months, soon It is 1 month, when you say "soon" it is because you already have something on the way, if not that word does not have any sense, it loses its meaning when it takes months without saying anything.

At least HG was ready, he did not say anything, just silence, he does not promise anything and then they give you a surprise, obviously I'm ignoring what they did on the day of the game, they promised everything and did not give anything, but today is a great game of exploration and construction for which it is worth paying.

Shaadaris and Ickura like this.
  11. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

opens his car trunk

Torches! Pitchforks! Buy both- get a Molotov cocktail for free!

Since koalas and Giraffes, the toxicity has been degrading with game's age in my opinion! Hence the calm discussion! xD (Also i'm too busy getting screwed in Apex legends and going full Pewdiepie-in-pubg-Nword there! xD)

To get the game goin' again we need battle royale (pls no) as 1.4!

Who needs bounty huntin' when you can drop on em ocean planets amiright?

But with all seriousness you're damn right about that! This thread IS way too calm to be seen! xD

JetPack925 likes this.
  12. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i don't need bounty hunting, just performance improvements

JetPack925, Ickura, HI-MAX² and 4 others like this.
  13. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Starbound..... battle royale?

You're a genius

JetPack925 and Kaimando like this.
  14. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

I know, right?

We could have random-gen weapons and armor, and terraria-like wall of flesh on both sides making the map smaller and smaller, the map itself could be a random-gen too! like the ancient ruins!

.... Hang me on a dead tree or somethin'... But... This idea actually have some potential coming to think 'bout it for longer than ten seconds! xD

The Squid likes this.
  15. Shaadaris

Please don't give them any ideas.
    We just had an update scrapped because it felt tacked-on... In a game comprised almost entirely of features that feel tacked-on to eachother and don't fit well.
    The last thing we need is a whole new gamemode ham-fisted into it, much less the ever-spreading assimilation plague that is the Battle Royale genre and its oversaturation.

Boshed, JetPack925 and davoker like this.
  16. ShadowFang88

ShadowFang88 Tentacle Wrangler

I was kind of sad the update was scrapped. I thought the idea of bounty hunting fit perfect with the protectorate. Alas that was only my opinion. I just kinda hope that either on discord or on their blog they give at least a small update saying the new update is underway or being set aside. The only updates i been getting on the discord is bout 95%+ Wargroove and less than 5% of the other titles. As a side note I am not saying anything like Wargroove is horrible or such so no one take that out of context i expect a lot about it since it is the newest game. I just would like to see their other projects not just starbound get some more attention or love. (sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes)

JetPack925, Shaadaris and davoker like this.
  17. ShadowFang88

ShadowFang88 Tentacle Wrangler

I was on discord and found a pinned post that i wish would have been a blog post so for those who aren't on discord would see.

Supernorn01/18/2019

It seems a lot of you are wondering about what's next for Starbound. We're hiring right now to get additional team members onto the project, and we do have plans going forward - Can't say much more right now but hopefully this explains things a little!

Also there was another pinned message that has a link of importance

Inidis02/04/2019

https://chucklefish.org/blog/were-expanding-our-team-in-2019/

Hopefully this is helpful for those who are wondering whats going on as well.

18. Shaadaris

:yeahhhh: Sure would have been nice if they'd... Y'know... Have said that kind of stuff... Here.
    On Starbound's... Y'know... Official forum.
    And its... Y'know... Official blog.

Ickura, The Squid and DragonsForce like this.
  19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

In this social climate? Even I rarely post here anymore, and I'm trash!

The Squid likes this.
  20. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

let's make a bet, what's first to come: New Starbound update or TF2's Heavy Update?