1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Missing/Corrupt Save File Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TJishere

TJishere Space Hobo

Last night my entire laptop froze on trying to save the game, when I tried to load there were no saves. Following this guide I hoped for a solution but my save and also my old save are empty (there are 'empty' characters I can select?). Is there any hope for a fix or is it completely gone?

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

If all the files in the save folder are completely blanked out as you say, then it sounds like it's unsalvageable.
      I'd also check if there were any error logs generated & you have enough disk space. Just to make sure it wasn't a Stardew related freeze.

• JohanP

JohanP Space Hobo

Hi. So, this is the first time in ten years that I post in a forum and the reason is that I am (of course) desperate. My daughter has been playing Stardew Valley a lot on her Ipad (that she has bought using years of savings) and she's really caught up in it and I think it's the first game she really likes. I hesitate to even begin to think about the hours she has put in the game, her farm and the relationships.

Today the app began to shut down when loading the save file and I tried to fix it the same way my wife had fixed it before: by backing up the save file and reinstalling the game. To my regret I did not use Itunes since I thought it could be done using the Files app, but now I've understood that it doesn't work. The files simply does not show in the loadscreen. When looking att them on my PC their filetype is simply stated as "file" and not xml or something like it. I guess this is part of the problem. The files contains data though as far as I can see in Notepad.

Is there some way to fix this? I, and Lea, would be forever thankful. Uploading the files and hoping for the best.

Attached Files:

• Kookoobutter

Kookoobutter Orbital Explorer

So I have the game on android and it keeps crashing. Im on year 2 day 13. I tried doing the old save file which it worked but it still crashed. Any help? I use ES File Explorer to change files on my phone. thx. Just remove the .zip at the end.

Attached Files:

• AmyJadeKate

AmyJadeKate Space Hobo

Hi, i don't know if this thread is still active...

but my game has recently corrupt and i'm not entirely sure why it has because it was working fine on the 17/05/2019 i loaded it up to play today and the file has completely gone... I'm not sure how to get it back ive removed the _old from all the saves that had it and replaced them with either - Normal or -1 but that still didn't work so if you can please help me and tell me what to do, to try get it back.

That would be helpful, I have also verified all my items on the steam application, Please help me! i had a farm that was on 2 or 3 years but i had done so much work on it.. i don't want to lose it forever!

http://prntscr.com/nsbsg5 this is the printscreen i took from my smapi all my mods are up to date.. just the Root element is missing and i dont know how to sort it out

• Aethred

Aethred Void-Bound Voyager

Hi all,

I've read all the posts until now and this is a surprisingly common problem. I've pretty much in the same boat all day, trying every fix to get the game to find my saves.

So I have SV on Steam and tried launching it yesterday for the first time on a newly acquired computer. I quit right after day 2 as I wanted to try out a bunch of mods. Only when I tried to load, I got 'No Saved Games could be found' however many times I restarted, checked file integrity, re-installed etc. I really want to play so I tried to dig a little deeper.

I have tried so far to:
              -Reinstall, zero difference.
              -Same for file integrity check.
              -Went looking for my saves, both in Roaming and the Steam folder, tried loading those one at a time, tried deleting the recent saves and going with save_old, tried pasting saveinfo into other saves, tried downloading someones elses save off the Internet, still wouldn't recognize.
              -Moved the whole Steam directory out of the Admin part of C: and just pasted it on C: as a standalone folder, as someone said this let them avoid Admin privilege nonsense.

Obviously, the problem must be somewhere out of the game, to do with my PC. So I tried launching the game via SMAPI, as I noticed you get a log of whatever happens as it runs the game. The following is the log I got :

[SMAPI] SMAPI 2.11.2 with Stardew Valley 1.3.36 on Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

[SMAPI] Mods go here: C:\Steam\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods
              [SMAPI] Starting game...
              Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 413150
              Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198004602444 [API loaded no]
              [SMAPI] Loaded 0 mods.

[SMAPI] Type 'help' for help, or 'help <cmd>' for a command's usage
              [game] Exception occured trying to access file 'StardewValley\Saves\StardewValle
              y\Saves\Abc_218804154\SaveGameInfo'
              [game] System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '
              C:\Steam\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\StardewValley\Saves\StardewValley
              \Saves\Abc_218804154\SaveGameInfo'.
              at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
              at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, I
              nt32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions o
              ptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolea
              n useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
              at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
              FileShare share)
              at StardewValley.Menus.LoadGameMenu.FindSaveGames() in C:\Users\gitlab-runner
              \gitlab-runner\builds\5c0f9387\0\chucklefish\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\L
              oadGameMenu.cs:line 480
              [game] Exception occured trying to access file 'StardewValley\Saves\StardewValle
              y\Saves\ad_218807837\SaveGameInfo'
              [game] System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '
              C:\Steam\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\StardewValley\Saves\StardewValley
              \Saves\ad_218807837\SaveGameInfo'.
              nt32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions o
              ptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolea
              FileShare share)
              \gitlab-runner\builds\5c0f9387\0\chucklefish\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\L
              y\Saves\Aethred_117846546\SaveGameInfo'
              \Saves\Aethred_117846546\SaveGameInfo'.
              FileShare share)
              y\Saves\andrej_170042742\SaveGameInfo'
              \Saves\andrej_170042742\SaveGameInfo'.
              FileShare share)
              y\Saves\df_218806788\SaveGameInfo'
              \Saves\df_218806788\SaveGameInfo'.
              FileShare share)
              y\Saves\sad_218806604\SaveGameInfo'
              \Saves\sad_218806604\SaveGameInfo'.
              FileShare share)

I have no idea where to start understanding this, except I get that message every time I try to load so SV can't even find the loads, even though every time I create a character and pass day 1, SV saves it properly every time. The saves are there, uncorrupted seemingly (ends with Save as advised in first post), but the game just can't find them.

I feel like I've done everything within the limits of my abilities and am just about to give up on ever playing the game ... Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

• sugarrush1616

sugarrush1616 Space Hobo

Hi,
                I have an iPhone 7, iOS 12.3.1, and yesterday my game offloaded itself out of nowhere. When I reinstalled it, my saves were gone. I did some research, some time passed and finally I offloaded the app (a function that allows you to recover some space while keeping the contents of the app) and then reinstalled it, which seemed to fix it because my saves reappeared in the game and in my Files app. However, today I went to play and the same thing occurred, only this time no matter what I do they won’t reappear. A lot of time went into them and I’m devastated at the thought of losing them forever! I will try to leave it alone for a day and see what happens but I need help! :(

• CloudyYellow

CloudyYellow Aquatic Astronaut

Hello Guys,
                  I used to play Stardew Valley with Smapi and everything worked fine until I decided to play with a friend in multiplayer. But whenever he'd try go to the town, the game would crash for him, so I tried loading the game normally without any mods or Smapi, but whenever I try to load one of the savefiles, it always crashes on me, while the other savefiles work fine. I already tried doing many methods like removing the _old part from the files and deleting the ones without _old part at the end, uninstalling Smapi, reinstalling the game or following some of the instructions on this thread but nothing works. If someone could take a look at the savefile and help me out, I would be very grateful. Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

• Fierce Fionna

Fierce Fionna Space Hobo

Is there any way we could get a new thread specifically geared toward helping people with the switch?

• Dimasikusuk

Dimasikusuk Space Hobo

I have a problem, I accidentally entered Jojomart and the club was converted, how can I get everything back so that there is a club?Help please , Sorry for my english

• tatter2323

tatter2323 Space Hobo

The game crashed when I went to sleep (playing on a PC). When I started the program again, my save game vanished.

I had the same issue a few days ago. Got my save game back by searching for it and deleting the "old" part of the two file names.

Not sure why this keeps happening.

• lena1

lena1 Space Hobo

in my save that is corrupted there is no game location xsi when i command f. what do i do

• hostilebeing

hostilebeing Space Hobo

My problem is that the last save that i have is gone, like for example the last save is winter day 24 and the next time i played it it has gone back to my last last save which is winter day 6 and whenever i search for my last save in the file its already gone like it never happened. PLEASE HELP

• LIl_Darknezz

LIl_Darknezz Space Hobo

i have this bug 2 times for now. i did option "Finding Your Files". first time it worked but now after removing "_old" when i load my save game is gliching and i saw starting screen every time i load my save help plz

• Myakox3

Myakox3 Space Hobo

When I open my characters save file (file #1) it is blank, but the _old save file is not blank... is my file lost? i'm very confused

• cal_ypso

cal_ypso Aquatic Astronaut

Can anyone help me? I have tried all of the fixes that I could find in this thread and others, but nothing seems to work. My character has an odd glitch in the load menu where a dinosaur hat (that I did not put on them) is stuck on their head. When I try to load the game, the music will stop playing and the game will show "Loading..." for a few seconds before completely freezing and crashing. I have a brand new farmer that loads just fine, but for some reason, my oldest files won't load and will only crash.

Attached Files:

• TheFlamingBurrito

TheFlamingBurrito Intergalactic Tourist

Hello. I had just started a new game after installing 47 mods and it played perfectly fine. The next time I open up the game and try to load the save, it takes me back to the loading screen/title screen. I've tried deleting the save files and renaming the old files but it doesn't work. In fact, after I tried it the files somehow came back after being deleted. The game has always been whitelisted so it can't be that. Here's a look at my save file so you can take a look yourself. If anyone can help me then I would greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files: