1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

what if this IS, in fact, the end of Starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lintton, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Took a look at the forum rules, I think this is fair enough to ask to whoever still visits, given the length of time and lack of any news regarding what will be in 1.4

What if this IS in fact, the end of future development for Starbound? like if the devs were to have an announcement that went "ok everyone, were ending it here!" And concretely said they are no longer working on Starbound?

How would you react? Would you feel satisfied with what you were given' or that they marketed something they did not deliver?
    And did this game affect your trust in Chucklefish's other games, in regards to communication and development?

Sock of Retribution likes this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I'm still not sure where this modern idea of games constantly needing a stream of updates or it's "dead" came from. What happened to having a finished product? Sure, bug fixes and optimisation are desirable and even required in some cases but a need for constant new content? I don't get it. Maybe because I'm more of an old school gamer and not part of the new generation of gamers. To the point, I wouldn't react much. I would just see it as Starbound being a finished product. Could they do more? Yes. Could they do better (like optimisation)? Yes. But I've played enough satisfying hours that I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Hell, I just started really getting into building recently, which is something I never really did before. So there's still plenty of hours left for me to enjoy.

Did Chucklefish break promises? That's a little harder for me to answer. I didn't follow development much because I didn't know about the game back in the day. In fact, I got it relatively late in the beta. I guess the one on everyone's mind is the bounty hunter update. I'm not lamenting that, though. Planned updates are cancelled all the time for various reasons. If Chucklefish says they feel it didn't fit the game in the state it was in then I have to believe them. I'm still interested in their future games. Probably won't buy them when they first release and will instead look to reviews and similar before making a purchase decision.

When it comes to communication there has been a lot of silence, which does concern me. I can understand not having anything to tell us but even saying "No new news, everyone. We're still working." would go a lot further in terms of good-faith in the community than just not saying anything. Bitching about the silence doesn't seem to have much effect either. And this is not a problem exclusive to Chucklefish. Even big company's like Blizzard are plagued by the same. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really have faith when it comes to communication from Chucklefish. I'll take updates (whether to the game or to development) as they come. In the meantime, I'll play what games I feel like playing. Starbound just happens to be the one I'm currently interested in.

3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I would be very dissapointed. Because that is the opposite of what I am hoping for this game when I first met this game.
    Hmm... I think, no. I am not grateful. I prefer they keep releasing an update. Even if it is very minor and minuscule update. I think it is enough for me to make the game looks not "dead".
    I guess, yes. I worry if their other games have the same fate like Starbound, or worse. It would be a disaster for them, and a big dissapointment for many of us.

But if Starbound really ends, then there will be a phrase similar to the phrase "It is the end of the world as we inow it", then it will be "It is the end of Starbound as the players of Starbound know it".

Ickura, Sock of Retribution and Vrow like this.
  4. Vrow

Vrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For one, I'd be grateful that they finally decided to admit it and that I'd finally be able to convince myself to stop having hope for any sort of development news. Then possibly flush out the rest of my resentment and tape rose tinted contact lenses directly on my eyes for whenever I remember the pre-1.0 days.

Certainly not. And though Mods exist and the modding community is doing its best, it still doesn't excuse Chucklefish of the rushed finish and half baked optimization. I mean, if you went to a restaurant that marketed a specific meal with specific ingredients prepared in a reasonable manner and then were given a dish that resembles its shape but doesn't taste like it was supposed to according to the recipe... I'm pretty sure that restaurant wouldn't be received well, or be told that the clients should be the ones to fix the meal they paid for with their own ingredients at home.

Yes. Oh yes. Such so in fact that I feel a continuous thrum of worry and concern for the other games under their development, as well as games under their publishing. I'm most certainly being paranoid, but I do fear that these published games might get some... meddling from Chucklefish.

I admit there are a myriad of negative things I want to ramble about, but I also admit to not having slept and that I'll probably feel sorry for being this openly negative later. But at least I am being open, right?

Sorry in case any sentence feels awkward to read.

5. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

If they would come out and said that It would be disappointing but I would accept that. At least there wouldn't be no more silly waiting.
    As for affecting my trust in Chucklefish? Oh hell yes, its already crossed that line!
    Only game I have from them is Starbound and I can guarantee it will stay that way. I wish them the best for the future but I will 100% not buy a product from them again.

6. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stardew Valley is a good game that Chucklefish had basically nothing to do with, and it's worth supporting the dev. Other than that, yeah, agree.

7. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Then they will have lied to us. It may be out of beta, but this still isn't a completed game. If, however, they should do that -- the modders should request the source code from the game and make add ons and updates themselves, particularly using all of the ideas that they were given on the boards from its loyal user base.

8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

For me... It is a finished product, and anything here on out is bonus. I enjoyed what there was of beta all the way back in the koala days, and I enjoy the game as it is now. I really aught to study the modding changes so I can add objects and the like that I had before the big modding change... That will take quite a bit since I have tendency to rotate between playing different games. Like the first person, I am an older gamer. Games we didn't really see a beta often or even alpha; so was an interesting experience. I don't mind if the add, as it is there game.

As far as trust... didn't really think about it, since I am probably more patient than most that I know. News is when they have something. I pay attention, yes, but I don't hawk down onto it, as I look at it as bonus. Although would have been nice for them to add the one mode of play, even as end game, the operation mode or dev mode... I forget what it was called, but basically creating content within game, like campaign and the like. I am not burnt out due to that, as there is so much one can do in this game. Well a lot I can, since I am a builder trying to flesh out my universe in my own story beyond the existing story.

Any game they make, if it is one I am interested in, I will still try, as I look at games individually for what the game is, not who the dev is. So yes I probably get the newest on their belt, as that one does interest me; plus nuru... If I like the concept of a game I am always willing to try them out to see whether or not I actually like it. Reviews sometimes don't do justice at times in describing what I want to know of the games, so I only briefly look at those to see if any useful tidbits that will lead my decision. I am for any game that I can enjoy. :nuruhappy:

As to communication, as another said, it is something I am use to. long silence before even a release date. Commercials drived the games back then, although can't really say back then all advertisement was good; since some only pointed out pieces of the game, and sometimes were pieces I was not interested in. When comes round to trying out the game I come to find out even commercials didn't do so well at targeting what I personally liked in each game I tried. As long as a game has a description that defines most the aspects of the game I will be able to know whether I would like or not. So for me it is nothing new. These wants for continuous updates is new though, and is what I see a lot of the time; especially after the advent of minecraft. Which yes I do play as well, as like I mentioned, I love building.:nuruflirt:

9. Nazja

Nazja Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, it would be disappointing but not unexpected. At least, this way I would have closure.

Starbound isn't perfect in its current state, but I think that I've gotten my money's worth of entertainment out of it. Like Tamorr, I don't think that a continuous stream of updates is a requirement for a game of this style. It's not as if I am paying a subscription nor is it a MOBA or MMO-RPG that requires updates in order to stay relevant and keep functioning.

However, I have to admit that it would colour my opinion of future Chucklefish games. Not to the extent that I won't buy any other game published or developed by them, but I'll think twice about it. I may not have been owed further updates to the game, but I do not appreciate continuously being told to expect news "soon" about a future update only to wait for months with no news in sight. The least I expect is to be told that the news will be delayed or, in this hypothetical case, that the future update unfortunately had to be cancelled. Not making such a statement just seems disrespectful to me.

10. DemChanges

DemChanges Void-Bound Voyager

Considering I know tons of people who left this game because the devs said "soon" then we didn't heard of them for two years, that was back in beta kickstarter days. Seemed like a money grab. Plus the game's performance is awful, quite unplayable. Tried it on many systems and it's 60 fps for maybe five minutes tops then falls to 30 for couple of minutes then drops further till the game just dies. To me and lots of people this is not ideal playing. The game should be 60+ and not have impacts. It's not a surprise to me that devs leave for years to come back and bring us something we already had with mods. All I want is a stable game so I can actually play it, build and considering adding mods etc. Like this I can't do anything.

Also I noticed yesterday that there was a 700mb update to starbound and tried it today but didn't noticed any changes whatsoever and yeah the game is still a performance disaster. Can't find any information on this update anywhere does anyone know what's this 700mb about?

11. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

I don't think the devs should continue supporting the game. The whole structure of it is really poor and adding more onto it, be it gold or shit, won't really change the rotten, boring core. So, I for one am waiting new games from Chucklefish instead of looking back at Starbound.

Silverforte likes this.
  12. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I just wanted the lag fixed. I don't care about bounty hunting.

Boshed and Sock of Retribution like this.
  13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I wouldn't care much, because at this point I don't play it anymore anyways.

Starbound ends as many other games that had potential and went pretty much unfinished and unpolished. And that's exactly why terraria iss till played so much and SB not.
    After the Koala version many choices went a very wrong direction making it a rather boring repetitive game, gameplay and visual wise. I guess that mostly happened because they couldn't fix the performance issues Koala had and therefore had to massively scale things down so it gets a bit more performance stability. But exactly that killed what made Sb great: the massive randomization of things as it gave us new things to explore, and mobs were still challenging. Now we just have brain dead easy mobs, and even biome specific difficulties that look extremely repetitive. But exactly that's the issue, What are those quadrillion of equal worlds worth? Nothing in terms of proper long term entertainment. It's like the other Terraria like game that was set up in space. If you do not properly finish your stuff with proper love and passion, you make mediocre stuff, and mediocre stuff disappears quickly in the overfilled world of games.
    And with planet explorers it is just the same, they made a great base of a game but kinda 10% before the finish they just stopped the polishing. And now it is similarly doomed with hardly being played, while it has such great and unique core features.

And yes it does heavily transfer towards the trust to other games, because it is a sign of how a developer treats his games, and what's an EA worth when a game makes such an U turn from exciting to boring?