Dev Blog Starbound on the Discord Store

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Mollygos left some time ago. Katzeus had already assumed the role of community manager by that point.

2. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

The developers could just make tiny updates that add a handful new blocks or furniture items every few weeks and it would already be a big improvement over what they are doing now

Yavor and McGerridae like this.
  3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I guess I could agree with that. Maybe a unique furniture for each race, especially spaceship furniture. Really need some more of those.

McGerridae likes this.
  4. spyroguy

spyroguy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

“We’re still hard at work on the 1.4 update!” -You, nearly exactly 1 year prior to this blog post.

It has now been several months since this post. Radio silence.

I understand that making a game takes time, but total lack of communication on the devs’ part never ever EVER ends well. Just ask the devs of Unsung Story or Star Citizen.

Tl;dr take all the time you need to make the update but please keep us posted.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    ElainaLycan and DragonsForce like this.
  5. Magius96

Magius96 Void-Bound Voyager

Its still really depressing to see everyone complaining about an update when us XBox players are still just waiting for the game itself. Regardless the single commonality we all have is SILENCE.

JetPack925 likes this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well to be honest... given that there are no absolute promises of infinite backwards compatibility in consoles, ever (though MS tends to be better than Sony or Nintendo at it) ... the PS5 has been leaked (revealed by now?) and we all know that MS is going to have to reveal a new Xbox.

So that means, depending on when in development they are of Starbound, they get to look forward to releasing SB on XB1 then a year or two later the console's life ends, and the game may or may not be available on the next console.

This, inherently, is the problem with consoles themselves. But I don't want to turn this into a PCMR discussion, as tempting as that is. I am merely talking about attempting to port a game (that is supposedly still receiving updates!) to console, especially this late in said console's life.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Almost 3 months in, and "Soon" has devolved into a trademark and a joke on the discord.

Faser likes this.
  8. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I believe now people can make Starbound meme from the word "soon".

9. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

Mods can also add more blocks & furniture.
    I would much prefer if they worked on bug fixes, optimization, or more things to do in general.
    Also the code pad would be pretty neat to have now.

davoker likes this.
  10. RETRO260

RETRO260 Void-Bound Voyager

there is some community challenge on reddit, but I don't know if it was the same CM

11. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

With an update error correction I was satisfied, I'm using several mods only to correct errors, it would also be good to give some races more importance, the DeadBeat, Shadow and Froggs, the last 2 do not even have texts.

And of course, the Novakid race had much more importance, an artifact like the rest of races (there are some graphics that indicate that another artifact fits, in the portal itself you can see the gap), right now it is a symbolic race, not It's worth a lot.

12. Vrow

Vrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Very Soon" can now be recorded as "4 Months or More" in Chucklefish's official lexicon. Cool!

ElainaLycan likes this.
  13. Kaimando

Kaimando Title Not Found

I'm a valve fan, I'm used to waitin'. What Chucklefish does right now is worse if you ask me. there was the dialogue to begin with.

14. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I enter the blog and Starbound on the Discord Store

I have already said that I enter the blog and I only see Starbound on the Discord Store ?? I think I hate Discord xD

Kaimando and lordbociek like this.
  15. The Gaming Planet

The Gaming Planet Void-Bound Voyager

I heard consoles and porting in the same sentence and I am now remembering that console port of starbound is still alive... at least a bit.

16. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

chucklefish... please... feed us the new content... we are dying....

EDIT: I'd just like to point out for the sake of everyone just. Having an idea of how dead Starbound has been:

We have not gotten any sort of content update since June 8th, 2017. Yes, there has been 2-3 patches since, however all they were is bug fixes, and I'm sure the 3rd is just the stupid Discord store update.

Chucklefish, please stop ignoring Starbound for the sake of quickly profiting off a new game only for you to ignore it, too, when you decide to get yet another new game.

EDIT 2:
    1.3 - Introduced the new type of space travel.
    1.3.1 - Fixed a few errors regarding the fact that space travel was literally basically really crappy because the game's base mechanics murdered you accidentally.
    1.3.2 - A few more error fixes
    1.3.3 - Literally just fixed a glitch that caused weapon crashing
    1.3.4 - You can now buy an ignored game on Discord for too much money! $15 for a game utterly, completely, unabashedly ignored! When Terraria was ignored for just a year, it went down to $3 for the full game before it was bought up by whoever!

The TLDR of this, I guess, is stop being so gosh darn opaque and either shed some light on us so we know that y'all haven't just given up and killed Starbound or give us something new, finally.

You guys have been working on 1.4 for over a year. You guys have also scrapped 1.4's entire big thing a few months ago. So 1.4 itself was basically scrapped from our standpoint. Sad, but if we at least had more light in what the PC version was to expect in the future, then maybe -- oh wait, just some information on an XBox port. Nice, I guess, for those waiting for it on console, but... Why are you completely sacrificing your PC platform for the sake of your console platform that doesn't even really exist?

Maybe the first thing you should do is, instead of devoting all your time to an XBox port that I'm almost definitely sure is not actually going to happen since news on that has been super dead too, work on upgrading and improving Starbound first. There's a lot missing from this game, a lot of it is up in the clouds, and a lot of it relies heavily on mods to really get the fun out of it. Mods like Frackin Universe are the key reasons why Starbound even really has a community today, because the vanilla state of Starbound is so... Bland.

Are you guys really expecting to toss out a sheet of raw cookie dough at a bake sale and call it freshly-baked and not get backlash for it? Starbound is not ready for a console release, heck, the current state doesn't even really befit the title of "out of beta". Starbound feels more "in beta" now than ever before, especially after older core features got stripped from the game. (Such as temperature, race technological uniqueness, etc.)

Where did your love for Starbound go, devs? Where did your care go? What happened to the love and care that you had that let you nurture Starbound from its Koala & Giraffe days to its more modern updates with official numbers? Why did Starbound go from being the star child to the ugly ex-boyfriend who keeps calling your phone every 5 minutes because he misses you?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    JetPack925, Ickura and Vrow like this.
  17. ElainaLycan

ElainaLycan Tentacle Wrangler

I get that ChuckleFish is sort of a skeleton crew at this point and can't focus on all of their games but we've been waiting months for even a lick of information. It's not even that any of us want the update, it's that we want info. We want to hear progress and see teasers. But like we've been left in the dark. The last post was about Discord, in October, that's like three months with nothing to go off of. This has been a constant cycle: We see a thing, get like a scrap of info, go long months with nothing to go off of, other blog posts regard you guys are going to conventions and such, no information on Starbound is said, you guys make a post saying that there will be information, and then... Nothing. Like I said, we can wait for the update, we want it to be perfect, but a little teasers here and there would be nice...

JetPack925 likes this.
  18. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

So do y'all even log into the forums anymore. Like, staff. Do you guys even check the forums. Do you only ever log in like once a month to fake the game being active. Why the sheer opaqueness?

19. lesnor

lesnor Void-Bound Voyager

What an absolute joke this team has become. ABANDON STARBOUND to work on an OLD IP that is quite frankly a slap to us starbound players. Wargroove is soooo bad its just a cash grab. Wish i could refund starbound coz we aint getting any form of clarity or even a tingle from any devs on an unfinished game ye they put their effort in to an IP like advanced wars that is so boring plus no1 asked for it coz advanced wars does it better. PURE JOKE AND A SLAP TO US STARBOUND PAYERS who are waiting for a completer game. SHAME PN YOU CHUCKLEFISH. Mods make this game NOT THE DEVS.

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Well that just makes me feel a little ashamed to be a modder.

The Squid likes this.