Dev Blog Witchmarsh Daily Update #98

Discussion in 'Developer Updates' started by Flapdoddle, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Hey everyone!

Keeping it brief today as I'm a little short on time. Joe's been tweaking the character selection screen, pictured below. I've been writing for a change (hooray), but also doing lots of paperwork and company stuff (boo).

[​IMG]
    Better quality on Twitter.

[​IMG]

Progress:
    • (Joe) Updated the visuals on the character selection window (above), now he's doing the same for character creation.
    • Re-acquainted myself with Rob's branching text code, in particular the bits which add choice requirements (skills checks, etc).
    • Improved the dialogue for about 20 NPCs, cutscenes and events, adding many new choices, side-branches and character-specific outcomes.
    • Backed up and organised the various Witchmarsh project folders.
    • Updated the website! http://inglenook.co/ - Linked to this dev blog. Clarified that the 2015 alpha test was for our 'Gold Key' backers only. 385 of these were sent out.
    • Lots of behind the scenes stuff. Paperwork (boo hiss, etc), and so on.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    • Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

Whoa, this is nothing but amazing! Every truly marvelous RPG needs a character selection screen like this one.

BuddyJarrett likes this.
      • BuddyJarrett

BuddyJarrett Tentacle Wrangler

It's neat y'all managed to clearly convey tapping the ash off a cigarette with a single pixel. I bet that's harder to nail than one would think.

• Flapdoddle

Joe's great at capturing little details like that. If you look really close at the chamber of the revolver, too, you'll notice it spinning!

[​IMG]

• lordshowsure

lordshowsure Master Chief

Have a great year you guys, we're all so stoked to see your finished work one day.
            Take care of yourselves first and foremost, don't rush, don't take your health for granted.
            Take care of your wrists, ahaha
            Good luck!

• Flapdoddle

Hey everyone!

Just checking in to say there's been lots going on behind the scenes. We've shaken up the way we operate a bit, and will be making a small announcement soon. Thanks for checking back. :)

Mini Progress Update:
              - (Joe) Improved the character creation code. Still a bit to do before it's 100% functional again.
              - (Joe and Matt) Improved the game's collision tiles. Matt is now taking over from Joe on this, freeing him up to do more pixel art.
              - (Joe) Updated some of the game's core systems, optimising them and making some unconnected systems universal. Tidying up, in other words!
              - Dialogue for 12 new NPCs written & converted to GML.
              - Flavour text for 2 new interactive objects (functionally the same as NPCs) written & converted to GML.
              - 1 new readable book item created.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
              • Flapdoddle

Hey everyone,

Things are a little quiet over here. Matt's busy with Hollow Knight stuff, and Joe's up to his elbows in this ...

[​IMG]

Try to guess what it is. It's way over my head, so I've just been sticking to story work.

By the way, we're also launching a community discord. We're aiming for a relaxed/safe atmosphere, so be sure to read the guidelines if you fancy joining us: https://discord.gg/csWumEn (this will be posted elsewhere with the next Kickstarter update - for now it's just a trial).

Progress:
                - New book: 'Waterlogged Journal'
                - New book: 'Franz Beppo's Astounding Book of Animal Words'
                - New book: 'Things we know about the Gorlaks'
                - New book: 'Our Friend, The Watermelon'
                - New book: 'The Death of Romulus'
                - Improved a number of dialogue scenes. Added new branches, typed up rough scenes and sketched out some new ones.
                - Dialogue for 1 new cutscene finished and converted to .GML.
                - Optimised the game using texture groups (can't believe we didn't know about this earlier). Game compiles in 1/3rd the time, and should be much more stable on low-end computers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
                • BuddyJarrett

BuddyJarrett Tentacle Wrangler

I'm gonna guess the boxes with arrows mean you can "jump" down from them. Lets see, the white line is the optimal path for speedrunning, and is being drawn up to be printed in the official Prima strategy guide.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
                  Thread Status:
                  Not open for further replies.