1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was Starbound abandoned?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Killera, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Killera

Killera Phantasmal Quasar

I have to say folks what a lot of us have been thinking. I think Starbound has been abandoned by developers. There haven't been any news or any new patches for Starbound for a while now. Effectively last Changelog (1.3.2) is dated 18th July, 2017.

We were expecting 1.4.0 patch the Bounty Hunter upgrade but it was officially cancelled. And the recent Discord store integration does nothing for the game, except it can be bought on another platform. So the question to the developers of this awesome game is: Did you abandon the game?

We want to know, because either we think this game is done and there will be no new content, or we must have some expectations for future. Don't get me wrong, this game is awesome and I loved every second playing it, but after some time you start to wander will there be new content? More bosses, more items to craft and/or acquire/buy.

It's ok if you did, a little disappointing, but it's ok. I have been with this game since the early stages, when it was just a website and a very good concept. I was there on the forums making giveaways and other things for steam games. I was one of the first to preorder the game, when the preordering got you only a right to receive a beta game when and if it is released in a year or so. I would be delighted if you told me that there will be more, but if not, please at least (no offence, just for comedy) have the common decency to find a big rock and finish us off. Stop holding us in suspense. "Will they? Won't they?"

TL;DR I want Starbound developers (Chucklefish) to answer question: Is Starbound abandoned?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Well, the studio is hiring, with specific mention made of developers to work on Starbound.

https://blog.chucklefish.org/

Couldn't tell you what's involved in that. The console ports are being handled by another company, so I don't think that's what they're being hired for. And my understanding is that 1.4 hasn't been 'cancelled', per se, but more postphoned due to the bounty hunting mechanic not gelling with the rest of the game - something people have complained about with other mechanics added post-release, so it's a Catch-22 situation there. I hear there's a news update coming early this year, so hopefully that will clear some things up.

Dark Guard ... likes this.
  3. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They said they were hiring for Starbound and the official twitter account said they had plan for the game in 2019, but don't expect anything to happen until the update is on steam and gog

4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Are they doing well with the hiring? Because if I am not mistaken, they're going to make several teams, so they can work on each game effectively. That is why they're hiring people.

Anyway, is Witchbrook doing alright? I hear no new news about it.

5. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The focus is on Wargroove and the goal is to have it released before the end of the first quarter of 2019, I don't know if they are going to make different teams or not, as far as I know I haven't heard anything about Witchbrook for a while.

6. Rusty99

Rusty99 Void-Bound Voyager

Yes it was.

7. Chucklenut

Chucklenut Void-Bound Voyager

this entire thread is a rollercoaster of emotions, first an update got cancelled????? (i did not know!)
    but they're hiring...
    i think that starbound is probably going to receive the "tf2" treatment and perhaps left in the dark. if no further significant updates from this point on i might just consider ending it all tbh

8. Slowther

Slowther Void-Bound Voyager

Dunno if this would be considered a necro or not (I'm not big on forums) But... https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/1116351371954069504
    I truly believe that they are trying to make the game better, it just takes time. Maybe they need to find that goal, that ideal idea that powers them once more.