1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

will automated switches work while i'm gone from the planet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by c_colombo, Dec 29, 2018.

1. c_colombo

c_colombo Intergalactic Tourist

i want to set up an automated watering system for a farm on an ocean planet that waters the farm every few minutes. will it only do it while i'm on the planet or can i beam somewhere else and it will still be watering and growing the plants?

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

You're using a sprinkler?

3. c_colombo

i was gonna have a hatch open that pours the water on the farm using a countdown timer

i would assume the answer would be the same if a sprinkler would still grow the crops while i'm away. does it?

4. Daikon Ocelot

Well I don't know about the hatch system, but the sprinkler will keep watering the plant even if we are not around or not in that planet. This also apply with the plants. They will keep growing when we are not around. Well of course as long as it is watered.

5. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm pretty sure the hatch system will not work as intended because the planet is not loaded in active memory when you're not on it. Therefore the switch and the water wouldn't exist for all intents and purposes. I believe the game determines crop growth based on time elapsed when you return.

That said, I'm not sure how it handles watering for crops. It might just check to see if the soil was wet when you left. If that's the case it may appear to "work" even if the timer isn't functional while you're away.

But seriously just use sprinklers.

6. c_colombo

thanks for the explanation i'll use sprinklers

7. Blaine

Blaine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wish this were true, but sadly it isn't. In fact, even if you are on the same planet, sprinklers don't function if they aren't loaded into the area immediately surrounding your character (~150 tiles in any direction at 3x zoom, ~180 tiles at 2x).

This may not be noticeable if you have a farm on your ship, or a small farm with a lot of sprinklers; but on a large farm using slow-spraying, spread-out Avikan sprinklers (from the Elithian Races mod), it's very obvious.

As long as you visit the remote parts of a large farm occasionally and make sure each area has the opportunity to load for a bit before leaving, the sprinklers should do their job.

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  8. Daikon Ocelot

Oops, sorry. I thought it works like that. I never really have a huge and industrious farm (for me, as long as it can provide enough food, it's enough). Thanks for putting me in the right way. :)