Dev Blog Starbound on the Discord Store

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, CA obviously wanted to port SDV over to more consoles to make more money, for all of those people who refuse to go the right way and just do it on PC where it's far better than on a console you can't install mods on. With games that are highly bent towards modding, it seems kinda silly to put them on consoles that you can't mod with. Now, SDV isn't quite as egregious as Starbound is for the "need to mod the game to get the most out of it", but the modding community is robust all the same.

And of course, any indie PC game going to consoles is just going to drag everything down. Updates take longer, and I end up feeling like the developers don't really care about us dedicated PC users who were with them from the start when they abandon us to go please the console markets to get more sales. Hey I get they want more money so, heck, do a paid DLC or something. If it's good, people would happily buy it.

Developing a full-on paid DLC (Expansion) would be easier than trying to port to a console.

This is one of the reasons why I am so very anti-console. Console people will go "Why do you hate consoles so much, they aren't affecting you!"

Bull. They ARE affecting us when indie developers waste ludicrous amounts of time and resources to port games over to the consoles.

Ickura likes this.
  2. RETRO260

RETRO260 Void-Bound Voyager

I was wondering, did anyone looked in their Discord ? is there is more communication here between devs and community about Starbound ?

Deep in my soul I'm still convinced that 1.4 will bring some very nice content and (almost) everybody will be happy again

Yavor likes this.
  3. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

Nope, devs on discord are as silent as on the forums.

4. Magius96

Magius96 Void-Bound Voyager

Heh. I have not looked in their Discord. I just assumed they'd be as silent there as they are here and on their blog.

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Actually, Healthire is pretty talkative on the discord. At least on the modding channel; I have most of the rest muted.

6. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Well, is the situation of CF is like this before? So quite and depressing. I mean, what makes them act like this? There should be something.

7. RETRO260

I think I know what make them act this silent :

Once I was hired by a company for a dev project. The first thing they made me sign is a contract saying that I must not tell anyone outside the company about anything on this project and the stuff we're making on it.

Maybe Chucklefish made the same. Maybe the team can't talk about it until the big boss said so

Kawa likes this.
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yes, obviously, the individual employees are not permitted to talk about what they're doing, and I don't think anybody in here is expecting them to. However, most of what I said was aimed at whoever has the authority to make those decisions, they are basically killing their company off. Yes, they've moved on to other pastures for the most part, but if they're willing to just let their flagship game sit and rot to go chasing after other stuff, then what trust can players have in a company that doesn't seem like they want to support a game that is still popular with the fanbase?

Starbound fans *want* more Starbound. But Chucklefish seems to be more interested in porting it to consoles (which is a silly, silly idea which I've said earlier, because of the lack of modding with consoles and SB is a game that is very heavily bent towards modding) to try to grab some extra dough. They're also working on at least 1? 2? more games (which have mostly gone silent? I've not heard any news about either of them), and many of the games they are publishing have seemingly gone silent as well.

The last thing I think they can afford to do is just sit there in silence while the ship continues to sink around them. Yeah, the crew isn't permitted to start patching the holes and scooping out the water until the captain says so, but the captain is asleep in his quarters, content that everything is fine when it very much isn't.

At this point, I don't really think there's anything that we've been given that should give the players any kind of confidence that things are OK at Chucklefish. Again, I don't want to bash them, but seriously, it's been a year and a half. A year and a half.

At some point the boss should realize that players want to know what's going on.

Ickura likes this.
  9. Magius96

Magius96 Void-Bound Voyager

Now go back and read my big post, and you'll know why I find that statement to be quite hilarious.

If they are more interested in porting it, its only because they've utterly failed in that department and are getting a lot of flak from the xbox community for not delivering, not explaining, and not reporting.

Boshed, Neumeier and Ickura like this.
  10. Daikon Ocelot

That's not good. If they keep in doing silent and not do anything this community and the game could gone perished! The only I thing I know that hold the ship you said before from sinking is the modder. They keep the ship a float by giving their skill in modding this game, making it interesting for a while. It is like giving the dev more time. But they can't do this forever. Do you think there is something we can do to fix this situation?

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, modders can only do so much until they either lose interest, or they hit some kind of limit as to what they can mod, and/or until players eventually burn out one by one and just get bored of the game.

There are times I'll start up a playthrough, and then I'll be like "meh..." a few hours into it because I've been there, done that before, even with something awesome like Frackin'Universe, as awesome is that mod is, sometimes I just burn out on it.

I miss the days when I could spend hours playing SB though. Back when it was more fresh, back when it kept getting content added to the base game, that I knew FU would end up expanding upon.

Oh well, I guess those days are long since gone..

12. Neumeier

Neumeier Orbital Explorer

Speaking as an Xbox player, I can say it has been quite irritating waiting for anything from the Devs on the Xbox port.
    All I want is to play a Wonderous Mechanical Medival Man with my friends, using a controller.
    They said it would be out in 2018, and they've by this posting, 3 weeks and two days to make that happen.

13. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Well wait sitting friend, that goes for long, if it goes xD

It does not deserve the community that has this game, I do not know why the modders are still creating, or even bother to update or add new APIs, for them, which are the only ones that keep the game alive, because neither its creators bother do what...

They're just worried about making ports of a dead game, instead of reliving it and shutting people up with a big update that deserves this game, but anyway, I do not know if this will happen one day.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

What I wouldn’t give for the ports to have Frackin Universe as a dlc, but that would likely be a nigh impossible order...

15. RETRO260

"Dead Game"

as a reminder, Starbound is out of early access since some time now. We're above 1.0 now and the game has already a lot to offer. Even if some things need some balance (for example, Servers really need more commands and possibility), Chucklefish can say "yeah we're done" at any time. I know that a lot of people (me included) wait for some juicy updates, but please respect the work of the devs and be patient. I'm not sure that you'll be happy if people call your game "dead" after five years of work.

PS : for a "dead" game, there's still plenty of players on it : https://steamcharts.com/app/211820

Yavor likes this.
  16. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

For two years straight Starbound has been the best game I've ever played. The nostalgia from the games of my childhood, mixed with the creativeness of building a colony, making it come to life, these things have kept and are still keeping my spirit up. No, this game will never be "dead" to me, no matter what anyone has to say about this, for the game, or for Chucklefish. I can only speak words of praise to the devs. All I wanted to say. With updates, or without updates, I'm gonna keep on playing! I'm sure I'm not alone.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I wouldn't say that there's "a lot" to offer, because most of the content in the base vanilla game is very highly repetitive and saddled with grind (especially the Mech content, oi...).

Planet exploration is cool, until you've seen like 10-12 planets and you've basically seen everything there is to see, it's just each new planet you go to has slightly different combinations of many of the same terrain features you've seen every single planet prior. Doing the missions are fun the first 1-2 times, but those get boring after awhile as they're always the same thing over and over again.

Mechs are just pure unadulterated grind. Neat idea, but I don't know why they thought making you do 50+ randomized mech areas before you can move up to the next tier was somehow fun, and it's so RNG-heavy too, especially the stupid blueprint system. And then, the sheer number of parts you need to make something new... have fun getting those 50-60 armor plates for a single piece of mech gear.

Colonies would have been fun if there was more interactions between you and your tenants, and if the tenants rewarded anything useful/fun, but... they don't. Even if you build on a T6 planet (good luck...), the best you get is maybe nanoweave bandages. Yay, I guess?

This is why I always called Starbound a "Modder's Sandbox" because it is exactly that: It's a sandbox game in the purest sense. They give you a lot of systems/API and you build on it whatever you want to have fun with.

Ickura likes this.
  18. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

The only mod I truly love is the Monster Special Attacks - it brings them back out. That makes the planet exploration a lot more interesting. And about the colonies, yes, I would also like a way to interact more with the tennats (relationship metter, feeding them your cooked food, etc.), but still I love my colonists living their lives, sleeping in each other's beds, communicating and just being happy. Farming is another part of the colonist's life I truly love. As they said it in The Martian - When you raise your crops in a new planet, then you can really say that you have colonized it. Also pets are a lot of fun with a few mods (namely with their special attacks).That's all.
    I believe people are unhappy because they see the great potential of this game, yet they are still waiting for the best parts to unfold. I agree! I also agree that there were wonderful parts of the game, which were lost during development.
    But Chucklefish has kept a very high level of professionalism so far, and I am willing to give them credit and faith. They have a lot of new games, which they are preoccupied with and I am sure they care about all of them.
    For now, the game (Starbound) has proven to be one of the best experiences I've had so far. Far better than a lot of other "challenging" games. And I am willing to stick by this!

19. Daikon Ocelot

Don't you worry I got your back. I also love this game, and I am not willing to lay down my hope on it. This game has been a very great game for me. If I got bored of it, sometimes I use the FU mod and the other to make it more interesting, but sometimes this mod also drive crazy (too much random content). Anyway, I hope the dev know what are they doing right now.

Yavor likes this.
  20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Is there a mod that just makes Mechs somewhat less grindy?

Just curious. Once I get my Windows finally reinstalled on my SSD I was thinking of tinkering with Starbound, and I was pondering maybe doing a quick vanilla playthrough perhaps... before going back to FU again, but the whole mech thing really is 'eh' as I'd prefer not to do the same grindy thing over and over again lol.