It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

This isn't directly related to fallout, but I'm pretty sure the brotherhood of steel was based on WH40k (seems to be anyway).
    I was making some luna wolf power armor for my callistans in rimworld:

callistanluna1.png

"Nothing to see here, civilian"

(seemed like something people in here might enjoy)

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

They seem like so in Fallout 4, but before, they were far more like the Guardians from Wasteland in terms of being isolationist and having higher tech than most other factions.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  3. Roskii Heiral

I'm saying alot of the aesthetics, the power armor almost looks identical to astartes. The scribes also look very much like mechanicum.

the fallout versions are obviously more toned down than their grimdark counterparts.

STCW262 likes this.
  4. Luna Celestica

Luna Celestica Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as the power armor goes I think it's more of a coincidence with both of their designs being based on the same 1940's era technology.

5. Roskii Heiral

Neither universes had power armor in the 1940s, Fallout's universe's US culture just halted in the 40s.

6. Luna Celestica

Luna Celestica Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No, I mean the design aesthetics are based on the vehicles and machinery of the 1940's in real life.

STCW262 likes this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So apparently, FO76 is far, far, FAR worse than our fears could have imagined. It's an absolute buggy mess, a re-hash of FO4's assets from what I've been hearing from several people who've tried it... people are trying to get refunds, etc, the game barely even works, etc.

Just... what the heck is going on inside of Bethesda these days? They used to make such good games, and now I'm having some real fears about the upcoming ES game too.

8. Roskii Heiral

I honestly don't think its a big deal. It was never supposed to be Fallout 5 (from everything I've heard), they just wanted to make a different type of game using the fallout aesthetic and engine. I probably won't be buying it, but I don't think I'm the target market anyway.

STCW262 and Jonesy like this.
  9. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm inclined to agree with Roskii. I respect Bethesda for trying something new, even if it hasn't worked out as well as it could have. Certainly doesn't help that a good chunk of the fanbase seems to be looking for any opportunity to crucify them. Sounds like an impossible position to be in.

Personally, I don't have enough of an interest in the game to buy it at full price. But I might give it a try in a few years, once the price comes down and there's been a healthy supply of patches. It sounds like there could be some fun to be had with it. Especially how some players are dressing up as Responders and helping out new players; I'd absolutely do that.

STCW262 and Roskii Heiral like this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

My point was, is just how badly broken the game is, and how much of a cashgrab it is (because they didn't put the effort into properly developing/finishing the game). Bethesda is a Triple-A studio, it's not like they were some small indie company that needs the funds RIGHT NOW so they do early release or something.

From the footage I've seen on Youtube, they hardly even put any effort into the game, it's buggy, constant disconnects, and other issues.

I get that people are railing on it because it's different, but that's not what I'm doing here. I'm railing on it because they shoved a buggy, incomplete mess out the door. It's okay to release a game that's different now and then, but it's NOT okay to release it in such a terrible state and then go "We'll fix it later, don't worry".

If they had released the game in a better state, then I wouldn't be voicing such opinions against it.

Corraidhín likes this.
  11. Jonesy

And I'm not saying you're wrong in regards to the state of the game. That's part of the reason why I don't plan on playing it in the short term. I was referring more to the hardliners who are looking for any excuse to demonize Bethesda. But just because we like them doesn't mean we can't expect better of them.

12. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

In general, I have the impression that open betas have done LOTS of harm, specially when devs treat the release as yet another update, instead of being the deadline by which blatant bugs shouldn't happen.

General Nuclear likes this.
  13. Roskii Heiral

Oh, if your main concern was that the next elder scrolls game was going to be a buggy mess on release, I can 100% guarantee that will be the case. Every Bethesda release I can remember has been a buggy mess on release, this is nothing new. The reason why its more of a big deal in a random game like 76 and not the main line is that (usually) the modding community picks up the slack. 76 is built to be an online shooter/survival game ( that's the reason I'm not super interested). While I would enjoy the oppurtunity to rp inside a map that i've influenced in Elder Scrolls or Fallout with a small group of friends, I don't want to be saturated with people I don't know.

So yeah, I'm not concerned about any of their mainline games, because I've played them long enough that I know what to expect.

14. Jonesy

Don't forget the lack of console commands. That's saved my skin a couple of times.

It does sound like 76 will be getting mod support eventually. I'll be curious to see how that could possibly work.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  15. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Probably similarly to Unturned.

16. Jonesy

I've not played it. Could you please elaborate?

17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

The main writers of the original fallout serie have quit obsidian, and obsidian entertainment have now been brought up by microsoft.
    Which might be a good or bad thing, but i am not sure.

“Not a story driven game, it’s a player driven story” the greatest kind of games.

But if bethesda were really clever now den they would try and hire the original writers of fallout back into writing the story for the franchise again.

STCW262 likes this.
  18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It has server-dependent mod support, apparently.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ahh, okay, wasn't sure! But yes, people need to take the rose-colored glasses off and stop giving Bethesda a free pass just because they did nice stuff in the past. But yet that's what a lot of big publishers/dev studios end up doing, they get mega popular and then they get lazy.

An open Beta is fine.

Heck, even an open ALPHA is fine.

But last I checked, the "Release" of FO76 was neither, it was billed as a complete release. Not an Alpha, not a Beta, but an open release with bugs so terrible that it makes the game look like a F&F Alpha.

There's no excuse for that. Seriously.

Early Access (even like Starbound's!) is fine, as long as you properly tell people what they are getting before they buy it. Absolutely nobody had the right to whine about bugs and missing content when Starbound Early Access launched when it did, because the words "EARLY ACCESS" and "BETA" were all over the Starbound Launcher. With big yellow-and-black caution stripes.

But that's not the case with FO76.

And heck, Starbound's very first Koala release was more stable and a more content-rich game than FO76 from my understanding.

General Nuclear and STCW262 like this.
  20. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I admittedly switched off for Fallout 76 the instant I saw their reason for not allowing push-to-talk. Sitting there in character creation listening to people complain about their nose is not my thing.