Modding Discussion Migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chellie

chellie Space Spelunker

The hairs don't show up for me, but I know it's been a while and maybe it's no longer compatible with the updated game? How do I fix this? I don't get an error when loading up SMAPI.

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

@H4rrisH4wk Unfortunately there are a few files that need to be replaced for this idea to work; in particular the Archaeology House and the Adventurer's Guild maps need to be edited so you can talk to Gunther and Marlon on a daily basis. Also, the assorted character .xnbs are edited so they have dialog when you interact with them and schedules so they just don't stand in their original spots all the time.

• H4rrisH4wk

H4rrisH4wk Void-Bound Voyager

And that can't all be done with CP? *-just double checking-*

• Moragaine

That's a good question.. for when I'm awake and not still on my first cup of coffee..

• paradigmnomad

paradigmnomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can't edit maps with CP only load them. You'd have to edit them in Tiled first.

• H4rrisH4wk

Not entirely what I meant - I mean - I have Summit Reborn and Spouse Rooms Redesigned in CP form no doubt they were edited in Tiled first of course - but for END USER - all I have to do is put it in the Mods folder and I don't have to overwrite xnb files in my game files so I can just delete the folder in my mods folder and it goes back to Vanilla without issue and without need of having separate backups and having to make sure I have the right one backed up to add back in - and all manner of additional steps that would make my mother who I also mod the game for would have her hair turn grey and also makes me uncomfortable because I don't want to have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling games.

All I'm wondering/asking is whether or not we can manage to get the Marlon and Gunther befriending mod in a CP compatible form so that it's just in the mods folder, only in the mods folder, without need of replacing xnb files in main game files. Since this mod would not be just for me but, as implied, for my mother as well - and I only just earned enough trust points with her to do CP mods because they don't touch the main game files with replacements.

• Moragaine

I think it might be possible.. I just need to figure out how to test it..

• Moragaine

@H4rrisH4wk Since the only programming I know is ContentPatcher, the only way I could get it to work is divide the original mod in 2. However, it no longer requires over-writing game files(the building edits definitely work and the sprites seem to - it's hard to catch either one out roaming around). The file unzips into 2 folders: BefriendMarlon&Gunther and BefriendHelper: the first is the main part of the mod with the dll's and stuff; the second is the content patcher part replaces the xnb files. Hopefully this works for you!

Attached Files:

paladinofthelantern likes this.
                  • H4rrisH4wk

Works BEAUTIFULLY!!! Thank you so much! I am so stoked for this!

• Moragaine

You're welcome! I'll keep using this myself, too - now that I have all the other removed from my game. (Maybe get them both full sprite sheets)

• farmerbean

farmerbean Space Hobo

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
                      • sylveonne

sylveonne Tentacle Wrangler

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
                      • paladinofthelantern

paladinofthelantern Void-Bound Voyager

• Jessebot

Jessebot Orbital Explorer

Attached Files:

Medicell likes this.
                      • springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

Attached Files:

• bugmenever

bugmenever Phantasmal Quasar

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
                      • Moragaine

@bugmenever There are already CP versions of the first and third mods on your list. Mr. Qi's is actually an optional file on the Nexus page.

• bugmenever

bugmenever Phantasmal Quasar

@Moragaine Oh, sorry about that! For some reason I missed it on Nexus. I'm not finding the CP version for the 3rd one though, it doesn't seem to be included in the original mod's CP version (2050) and I did a thread search and nothing came up.

• Moragaine

Apparently I'm hallucinating, since I can't find it again, either.. =( Sorry about that.

• Machineka

Machineka Orbital Explorer

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.