Dev Blog Starbound on the Discord Store

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

np! Yeah, Castle of the Winds is also a 16bit windows game, and the only way to play it is to use Dosbox to set up Win3.1 or 95/98 and go from there.

In fact, there are other games that are 32bit games but still fail on modern systems such as the Fallout Games, the original Baldur's Gate (though there's an Enhanced Edition on Steam that works on modern computers), Sim City 2k (they claim you can get it to run but when I tried it, I got atrocious framerates so I think Dosbox'ing Win98 would work better with that game) and such.

One of these days I'll actually full-on set up a Win98SE environment on my computer with DosBox for those older games.

Tamorr likes this.
  2. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

To be fair to Xylia, the brute-force thing isn't new or just regarding hardware. Pre-digital days, whenever a game or software would shift from one storage medium to another e.g. floppy disks to CDs, CDs to DVDs and so on, there have always been cries of bloatware and how a game is much larger than it needs to be. Data needed to be optimized out of necessity but as storage got bigger and cheaper, there was less attention paid to that. Why do compression of audio or images if you have the space to spare. Oh, the game runs slower? That's ok, just change the required specs to suit.

While this might sound like going against my prior statement about rudimentary optimisation, stuff like the PNG thing is so ridiculously simple and cheap to deal with, particularly if you deal with it as you go. Given its simplicity and relative pay-off, not doing so just makes the studio look incompetent or lazy to the casual observer.

It doesn't help that they scrapped a feature that they were promoting. I get that some features don't work and won't make it into the final game. That happens all the time. However, you don't promote said feature, complete with sample animations, and then decide it's not right. Someone f'ed up hard on that one.

Eh. People make mistakes. So long as they make it right in the end (and not take another year just to release a few token features), then all will be right in the end. Or I'll move on and never play the game again. Either or.

3. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The game works great at 60 fps "no mods", well, I use 4 mods, one is a translation, the other 3 are for descriptions of objects and portraits, nothing heavy, at 1080p with a g4560 of 60 not low, a g4560 , which is not exactly the best you can find xD

There is only one problem in the performance, with the printer, when you have many objects scanned and the list of objects that you can buy in the printer is very large, when you open the printer, the game collects fps drops, only happens in that situation.

For everything else, the game at 1080p with that micro goes perfectly to 60 without any descent.

PS: There is another exception, if you have a very large settlement and there is a lot of decoration also low fps.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, the PP is always going to kill your framerates, I go way down to like 10-15FPS with the /admin command (thus, all recipes on) when I open it.

5. OBBV

OBBV Void-Bound Voyager

So can we assume that since their "focus has shifted back to PC" that the Xbox One port is finally wrapping up? I'm sure Microsoft's QA process is atrociously long, but I'm hoping to see a release date soon...

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That's assuming it doesn't fail cert....

7. ♡♡♡

♡♡♡ Big Damn Hero

No offense, but you stink real bad.
    I want REAL updates with content, not your greedy attitude with all that sale-related stuff.

8. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

To whom you refer? The dev? If so, just be patient, we all are waiting here (at least that's all the thing I can say after this far). It is not easy to make stuff like this though. Funds are needed, so they need to discuss about the sale too.

9. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

they are so greedy they have sales and discounts, top capitalism there

Kawa and Ickura like this.
  10. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

You know, you can just move on, play other games. Not waste your time with a company you don't think all that highly of.

It's very much what I intend to do if there isn't a substantial update in the next 6-12 months.

Not to hate on Chucklefish at all. They can do whatever they want at whatever pace they want. I just may not be around for it.

davoker and Kawa like this.
  11. rdcl170

rdcl170 Aquatic Astronaut

I hung on for awhile hoping for new content. Watched this developers moves closely for quite some time now.
    I can safely say I will not purchase or consider another Chucklefish product. They have gone in a shit direction.

12. djskully

djskully Void-Bound Voyager

Guys calm down
    Be patient like us
    Some games take while to update
    Like 7 days to die take 9 months to get updates
    So play any game until game get updated

Ickura, Kawa and Daikon Ocelot like this.
  13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There are plenty of other games out there, yes. If you already bought Starbound, it's not going away, it'll sit there in your Steam library until you play it next. That could be tomorrow, or that could be a year from now.

In fact, it is probably better you do set it aside and come back later when the update actually comes out, because burnout is real. As much as I love Terraria, I'm trying to resist the urges to play it too much before 1.3.6 comes out whenever that happens to be, lol. It's supposed to be a huge content-rich update and I want to make sure I'm not gonna burn out on it when it does come out, so I'm forcing myself to stay away from it for the time-being.

When the update comes out, I'll be ready to go and it will be more fresh and I'll have more fun playing it, than if I kept playing it and playing it and playing it in the months leading up to the update. If I did that, then the update would come out and I'd burn out rather quickly and I don't wanna do that.

14. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

As much as what you say is fair, I also get their perspective. How long should you wait? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

There's a point at which you just say "Not worth it. I don't care. I'm done." If Chucklefish came out either drip feeding updates or clearly stated upfront what the update schedule would be like +/- a month, I think things would be different.
    It's the feeling of being strung along that's the problem. Going from "get hype about our bounty system!" to "nope, gonna pull that" and there are no new updates of what's to come or how long.

I'm not that far off myself think it's just not worth it. Still patient for now but that patience isn't limitless. I'll just move on at some stage if it gets to that.

15. Daikon Ocelot

Why you guys are all so tense. I mean, just face it. They aren't going to release any update or something sooner. There are no news about it, and they even didn't care about it. If they care, they should have mention the update plan or features in their wiki or this forums (just like Minecraft and Terraria). But all I see is none. For now, just go play other games, or even better, just go do something else other than playing games.

Ickura and Yavor like this.
  16. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

Looking at the posts here is just depressing.

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  17. RETRO260

RETRO260 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't mind waiting for an update. Beside, Starbound is allready full of contents and even have some stuff post end-game and, dear god, there are hundreds of mods for adding contents (like more dungeons or a new mod wich add Factions)

And waiting two months for an update is handable I think. Just for saying, we've been waiting 5 years for an update on Cube World :)
    Hope we'll have news somedays

Yavor likes this.
  18. Daikon Ocelot

Yeah... the problem is to much mods are killing my computer.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That's why you choose your mods carefully. Play a collection of mods, and then once you've done pretty much all there is to do... uninstall those mods, start a new playthrough with a new mod list. These mods were not meant to be installed all at once.

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  20. Daikon Ocelot

True. That's why I cleaned all the mods up, leaving a few mods I choose, and start a new game, fresh start. I lost all my collection and precious weapon, but it is worth it, at least the game doesn't lag like hell.