1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Who acctually likes avians

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Flirtyfloran, Oct 5, 2018.

?

Are avians the worst race,

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Flirtyfloran

Flirtyfloran Starship Captain

I know this sounds a bit like hate speech (please don't take this too seriously) but i really feel like the avian race feels a bit lacking in personality when it comes to the other races. Their villages are bland and the dungeons feel like a pain to explore. I also feel that the have by far the worst armour. i don't dislike the avian players just the avians themselves. I think that replacing themselves with another species like deadbeats would be a good idea.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I like them well enough. Their aesthetic could do more with their Mayanaztecincan inspiration, like having terrace farms or floating gardens and not just stereotypical tombs and villages. But I like the conflict between the Stargazers and Grounded. It shows what can happen when technological advancement comes without social advancements, creating anachronisms at best and societal conflict at worst. The Stargazers also adds to the vaguely dystopic nature of Starbound's universe, being a theocratic dictatorship on a roster already including the Apex's authoritarian regime and the Hylotl's seemingly isolationist settings. But at the same time, the Grounded provide a counterbalance by standing for freedom, exploration and cooperation with other races (i.e. precisely what the player is doing).

So, to say that they should be replaced is a gross oversimplification, and frankly quite silly. To make such a sweeping change to the game's race roster, a core part of its design since the earliest days of development, two years after the release of 1.0 would not only completely upend the already turbulent lore, but would probably cause technical havoc for all the players who have Avian characters. It's just never going to happen.

theflamingchuthulu and STCW262 like this.
  3. Flirtyfloran

I see where your coming from but my opinion will not change.

4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

They're one hell of a lot more interesting than the Apex.

theflamingchuthulu likes this.
  5. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

At this point, I'd be trying to convince a brick wall that my views are better than its own. Seriously, leave the Avians in, maybe spruce them up a little…

Say, the story wouldn't feel the same either. Starbound without Avians would, to me at least, be like mac & cheese without the cheese. Way back in the Beta, my strongest character was an Avian. I like them, I like birds, so…

6. theflamingchuthulu

theflamingchuthulu Big Damn Hero

I agree. Also they could use a few more gods too. . . The Mayans and Aztecs had more then one god, and so did the Egyptians who the avians remind me of also. They could change it, though, it would take lots of work. Most games succeed with overhauls, and not everyone likes them. But they usually improve quite a lot. Another change would be to emphasize the "samurai warrior" thing with the hylotls, and maybe throw in the ninja theme to the hylotls. (there WERE ninjas in Feudal Japan, which may I remind everyone the hylotls are based off of.)

7. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The scan text for the uranus model hints that they have more than one god, Kluex is just their main god

8. theflamingchuthulu

Huh, I haven't played to far into the game. The farthest I ever got was beating Asra Nox for the first time at the grand pagoda library, then my old pc broke. . .
    But do the avians have more than two gods? and are they from our solar system?

9. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

The worst race is the humans in the release. All the others are normal.

10. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Seeing as in vanilla there ain't no real difference between races, I can't help but wonder why peo^ple consider certain races as the bests

11. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

All races are pretty much the same, no special traits or smth like that (elder scrolls)

12. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Novakids, Floran, and Glitch all have fairly unique lore and aesthetics that make them interesting. It's no wonder they're frequently considered among the "best" races even though their gameplay is identical to all the others.

Avians are...okay. Their culture and aesthetic doesn't grab me too well, but they're serviceable. I find Apex a lot more dull. 1984 meets Planet of the Apes isn't really a great concept. I'm not fond of the Hylotl either, they're just Japanese fish people. They need a hook.

Humans are largely a non presence in the final release version, so they just feel tacked on.

13. theflamingchuthulu

I think humans could use some work too. . . Maybe humans should have more than one theme, like for instance if there were some humans who were like humanity in Halo, some should be like Battle Star Galactica, some should have a salvaged post-apocaliptic theme.

14. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Well, for me, I think all races should have more unique things of their own. I mean other than cultures and aesthetic. Maybe their own unique weapon or their body special ability?
    You seems to really like the Deadbeat very much. But, I can't agree with that. The Avian is one of my favorite race, one of my best crew is an Avian. But, if you really wanted the Deadbeat to be part of the playable race so bad, why don't you tell them to make it a playable race, so it will be 8th playable race after the Novakid. But then again, the Deadbeat lore and aesthetic will need to be improve. The codex about them will also need to be add. They will also need to make more variation of the Deadbeat. Their spaceship will also need to be design. Their story and history too. Basically, it will need a lot of hard work if you want them to put the Deadbeat alongside the other races of the universe.

15. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Are deadbeats a whole race or just people with diff clothes?

16. Masiakasaurus

Pretty sure they're humans with different clothes. That's how the mushroom people, llamas, and shadow people are coded.

17. Flirtyfloran

They are acctually their own race according to the wiki.

18. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I don't think so they're a human, even though they do talk like a human. I think they're somekind of humanoid race, a failed humanoid race though. I guess they fail to make peace with their own kind. Civil war between their own kind tear them apart. I think their real name are not Deadbeat. Deadbeat are just a name given by the people of the universe for them. I wonder how they looks like before they are right now, and what are their real name.

19. Masiakasaurus

I meant the way the were coded, lore wise they are their own race. But many of the NPC races are implemented by spawning in humans with different dialog and special costumes to change their appearance.

20. MrsGuu

MrsGuu Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think so...
    The dungeons are big and there are no many lights, but have you seen the background wall building? Or this big bird heads as entrance to a dungeon ?
    That is a nice work and I think it was also a good job from the devs.
    Do you ever have a build like this? That was not a 1hourjob.