Dev Blog Discord Update v1.3.4 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by superconsole, Aug 31, 2018.

1. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Someone mentioned above opening up the API for modders. This would be the single best move the company could make in my opinion - there are a few things that are hardcoded and provide limitations to what mods can accomplish. Easier than coding in the ability for the engine to handle those things would be to externalize everything - buildscripts, instruments code, gravity 0 being 0 instead of nil (so that it can be influenced, as it can be with any number value), that sort of thing.

Adding a global tables access function so that we can have windows read arguments and techs check player table things - this stuff would be a huge boon to us who want to push the game a little further. There are numerous old dead threads about all of the things I've mentioned and many others I have not.

If the devs consulted some old veterans like bk3k I'm sure they could get a list of things that would significantly improve the possible quality of mods, and most of them would not even be large or difficult edits. Reworking the music system would like as not be the toughest of the things I've mentioned.

2. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Isn't that Quicksilver1 aka ThatThunderCookie on youtube?

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Metadept, my man.

4. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright I didn't knew about that. I know quicksilver1 was a modder who also participated in the game devlopment, if my memory is correct he is even the credits of the game

5. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Those are the modders that help in the game development? And they get their name in the credit for doing it? That is pretty awesome. I didn't expect that. I guess being a modders is pretty sweet indeed. I think I am going to try modding sometimes. Any suggestion?

6. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Add in a modded bounty hunter system just to really shake your fist at CF?

Nah but seriously, head over to the modding forum and post an idea, and we'll give you pointers on how to get started.

There are also some guides stickied for common tutorials on how to work with JSON, the format everything except for LUA scripts the text files are written in. For that there is an ebook and chances are good that there is a similar script you can adapt unless you are doing something completely new.

7. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Hehehe, very funny. It is just like a new recruits fighting a whole army by himself.
    But, thanks for the heads up. By the way, I am very very new to this kind of thing, modding and programming stuff, but I shall try my best. Thanks again. :)