Modding Discussion Migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pietray

pietray Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe someone who can write in decent Korean can make like a stock message for folks to send to creators on Naver asking for CP permissions? Tbh I've had no issues accessing, downloading, or (google) translating that website myself. I even left a comment for the person who made the bicycle mod asking for the rar password and they responded with no issues. :X

• coldazrael

coldazrael Existential Complex

Right, I'm sorry about my outburst. Both of you, @Chill-T @Kuriiyo ,surely known pretty well that I have many times expressed my worries about converting CP files from naver right? Then, when I saw a certain post from a mod page that I thought some naver blogger did a certain activity without permission, All my worries began to wane and when I heard that some Naver guys was numerously re-distribute some stuff as well, all my worries were gone kaput, I don't care about permissions from naver anymore, made a replica of probably a mod that were already posted in Naver without hesitation, and changed with this sort of thought : 'So all those naver guys were actually re-distribute the pages from chucklefish and nexus with their own language, with their sites protected from translation, and suddenly a naver guy came, ridiculously warning me about copyrights and stuff, just what the hell.. '. I'll justify my actions based on this matter and I believe that Ssm4031 must know this.

As for the removal of my conversions, I still see the uselessness of it. People will going to request in other way around. Basically, Ssm4031 warnings are too late.

As for the permissions, I could handle everything to @Chill-T . If it's possible, please negotiate so they could claim the conversions for themselves rather than removing it like a waste.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
      • Chill-T

Chill-T Phantasmal Quasar

It's alright, you just gave me quite a shock there. I was worried, too, but I was also at fault in the end, as I converted several more Naver mods without thinking.

As for the link I've sent to Tanpoponoko, I didn't notify her because someone was redistributing, I notified her because someone renditioned some seasonal portraits they could add to their mod. (But apparently I was a dunce and didn't realize there wasn't even a download link.)

And I was utterly wrong when I said that the modders from Naver were redistributing/converting our mods without permission (as far as I know), they were only showing translations to download it. As I couldn't read Korean I didn't give further thought to it and became rash. Also, I believe Ssm4031's warning was not too late. In fact, I think it came at the best time, before we could convert far too many that it'll become an even bigger issue.

I'm currently trying to contact Ssm4031 whether I should send the authors with my conversions through Google Drive, or if they were willing to take on the task and notify the authors themselves, as they are native Korean.

@coldazrael You can count on me for the permissions. I'm still waiting for Ssm4031 for a course of action.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
        • coldazrael

@Chill-T
          Of course you didn't, but still with or without the download link, that dndidu fellow is totally posting the raw pngs without tanpoponoko's permission, right? My eyes went on seasonal emily that filled me up with a such bad thoughts (of all funny things, this bad thoughts I said is not sexual stuff, I'm serious o_O )

You are not uttely wrong when you said modders from naver were redistributing/converting. But you are utterly wrong if you think that I received the information from you, it was actually from someone else. I'm not going to name her here but I'll PM you for it since she already stated in private that she don't care about this stuff, so I thought that she don't want to get involved. I do this for her privacy.

As for the late of Ssm's warning, It's not because of we converted too many. Try look at the larger scale, more unofficial converters will born. Naver was already exposed just few weeks ago, right on this thread, watched by many people. Some people is going to ask conversions perhaps by PM? Who knows? That's why the point is, Ssm's warning is too late. It might change some parts of the situation, but I doubt that it will change the whole situation.

• Seyph

Seyph Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@coldazrael I think you are misunderstood over the portraits. dndidu created their own portraits (or so I would assume) to use with Tanpoponoko's mod. The portraits they posted are not part of the mod, nor are edited versions of Tanpoponoko's work (I believe the Emily portraits in question are of HopeWasHere's creation), so it doesn't matter whether they posted a screenshot of their own work, or a raw PNG of those portraits - which btw, they're not raw PNGs of the portraits. The same cannot be said about the portraits that do use others' as a base, of which I recognize a couple. In either case, as mentioned before, they're not raw.

As far as the whole controversy over the Naver mods goes, those I have checked do explicitly state "not for [unauthorized] redistribution." While you could argue that people could still do this "under the table" so to speak, via PMs and the like, the removal of the converted files from the public eye is the biggest prevention of the spread of the file. Many people who create mods don't mind if they're converted for personal use, but do wish to, at the very least, be asked for permission before people go along re-posting their mod willy-nilly. It's a courtesy thing. Also, doing so without permission veers eerily close to piracy...

Of course, there are a few exceptions, in which some just plain don't mind and may say so outright on their mod page, but they only speak for themselves and not for others.

MouseyPounds and Ensifera like this.
            • Chill-T

Chill-T Phantasmal Quasar

Perfectly said, Seyph, thank god for your explanation. It's already past midnight here and I'm can't think straight any longer because I'm exhausted, and even then I still have things to do before tucking in. I'm already way behind what I need to do.

I'd like hear what you guys have in mind in this issue, but I'm forced to respond tomorrow instead. I'm doing my best with this situation, but to be honest I'm at loss on what to do. I'm at my wits end, and I can only wait for Ssm4031 for help regarding the permissions. I could go on and notify the authors already, but I'm worried about an unexpected situation arising, coupled with the language barrier. With a native Korean overlooking it'll put me more at ease.

• coldazrael

@Seyph
                I'm not going to deny if it were a misunderstanding if it's about the portraits, although I just noticed it by now. Like always, thanks again for your correction. :)

Yes, I do have checked on that as well. Although only some of it that is able to be translated. It does count as biggest prevention, but it doesn't mean to stop the spread completely. I said this because this is fact, not to right my things of converting those naver mods without permission. I will still going to remove it depending on the original authors' clarification.

My way of converting mod is always like this : convert, share, then inform the authors about the posted conversion and the rights to use them to their mod page or have it to be removed completely. The reason is time, waiting the original authors response took usually long, long time. I never thought what I did is wrong because obviously I was giving an ease of installing the mods, and as I said before I absolutely never put my name inside the description of any mods I've made.

----------
                In case if any of you, good people of chucklefish forum who found my way of converting mods unacceptable, I will to remove all of my conversions from way down to up, and relieve myself from CP converting activities. Also allow me to apologise for all sort of things I've done.:notworthy:

• Seyph

I believe (emphasis on "I") that way of conversion is fine for the mod creators who are no longer active either on this forum or on Nexus (i.e. difficult to near-impossible to contact because of inactivity). When converting from those who are still active or are outside of this community, it's easier to step on other people's toes and get into these sorts of issues, especially because of potential language barriers. In that regard, it would be advisable to use even more caution than normal.

• coldazrael

To zip this conversion ethics stuff, for now on if there were a request linking to site other than nexus or chucklefish. I will take a caution before converting it by asking the requester if the requester have the permission from the original author of the requested mod or not. That will be my policy as an unofficial CP converter.

Still I'm not going to deny the information that I've got from my informant. Which is if some guys from naver blogs and forums might likely doing some redistribute without permission. Although my informant only stated herself without physical proof like links or screenshot, I still believed her words. If this statement from my informant happened to be true, I hope that ssm4031 or perhaps any other naver guys who's watching this thread, will side to the truth and will get this redistribution matter to be solved.

• ssm4031

ssm4031 Void-Bound Voyager

@coldazrael
                      There are limits to the words I can use, and there are as many words as I can express using them, but I can't write them properly. I didn't want to argue with you. I'm sorry if what I said was offensive. I'm so sorry.
                      I didn't mean to talk about the whole forum. but the reason was that mods were noted no secondary elaboration. So I wrote that ask the author.
                      and s2co2 wrote that she would delete all of her files when distributing them, including her own image. Bycycle, baby retexture too
                      And There is a notice in the Naver community - if want to make file using other people's files, asking for permission from the original author.
                      I wanted to tell you this. I said, "I'll ask the author instead" because I thought you wouldn't be able to use the Naver system. I didn't know it was offensive stance. I'm terribly sorry.

• coldazrael

No need to apologise.
                        Honestly, I don't even wanted to argue with you either. Everything's my fault, I took a sudden conclusion and thinking that you could speak english pretty well and ignoring all the language barrier. I also took another conclusion like if you were treating me like an ignorant idiot that doesn't know naver forums or blog in general, I even thought that you are just a troll account that's trying to cause troubles. Most of the blames are on me and nothing in yourself. I'm really sorry for that. :(

• Seyph

Attached Files:

springacres likes this.
                        • HinataAkiama

HinataAkiama Scruffy Nerf-Herder

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1343 I made this into a Content Patcher pack, since no one else has done a Hilltop farm yet for this =D MAJOR MAJOR thanks and props to @mousypounds and @Pathoschild from the discord or this would never have come to be, at least from me xD If the author of this mod would like to add it to the nexus, feel more than free to, or yell at me to take it down, I'm easy

config options are "alt_compatible, alternate, compatible, hilltop"

Attached Files:

• NightyNight

NightyNight Yeah, You!

• Reppamon

Reppamon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I ported a few Pet/Horse replacement mods to Content Patcher for my personal use and thought I would share them just in case anyone else might want to use them! All credit for these goes to their creators, I did nothing other than make a simple port. All users who created these are inactive on the forums, otherwise I would have requested their permission before posting these. ;v; (I put in a Readme about them being unofficial just in case)

These have all been tested but this is my first try at doing anything like this so please let me know if there are any issues of any kind!

The mods:
                            Changed Menu Icons are included with all of these mods! (I used the head of the Red Panda sprite made by Tokiri to make an icon for that one; there was no Icon mod for it originally)

IF THE ORIGINAL CREATOR OF ANY OF THESE MODS WANTS THE UNOFFICIAL VERSION TAKEN DOWN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Hopefully someone enjoys these! I'd be willing to port some more Pet replacement mods/other simple graphics replacement mods if anyone would like to make a request for some (assuming that the original creator is inactive/I have permission, of course!)

EDIT: Added these to the wiki page!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
                              blouwho? likes this.
                            • coldazrael

• NightyNight

NightyNight Yeah, You!

Alright, thank you <3

• Sherbbert

Sherbbert Space Hobo

I did a quick search of the entire thread for texture mods involving skirts and couldn't find any. Yesterday, I found this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/331 only to find the smapi is outdated. I thought how hard would it be to change it-... I gave up as soon as I opened visual studio, so it's near impossible for me. Unless you can make it possible, I would be grateful :D

• coldazrael

First, you're in wrong thread, this thread is about converting xnb mod to CP mod and Getdressed is SMAPI Mod. :confused:
                                  And as far as I know, there is an alternative for GetDressed mod which is called Kisekae.
                                  Not sure it's updated for the current version of sdv but in case if it bugs alot, perhaps some guys over here could work it out, or you could ask the author themselves.

Sherbbert likes this.
                                  • Sherbbert

Sherbbert Space Hobo

@coldazrael Thanks! It works alright with the current update of SDV, but not with the beta apparently. I don't play the beta, so it's not my problem.

Anyway, thank you for your help and good luck with the asking authors for permission thing. Sounds like pointless banter to me :L

Thread Status:
                                    Not open for further replies.