1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Unofficial Modding Ebook 2.0 SB v1.05 [ Ebook v2.2a ]

Learn to make mods for Starbound 1.0

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Ya sounds like a good idea - moving it to Github so everyone can share.
    The only problem with Github I personally have is it doesn't support color coding for Lua or was it JSON? I forget.
    If you have a solution to that, that would be great.

2. The | Suit

3. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

was bored, so I ported most of your book to .md files.
    Formatting is not yet on point and there are no links to the different sections.
    Also the images are missing.
    But I hope this helps as a starting point for your wiki version.

https://github.com/ion-tichy/starbound_modding_ebook

The merged book is inside the build folder.

The | Suit likes this.
  4. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

quick question. would this help me if i wanted to make new mech parts like a better drill or a vacuum arm to suck items/mobs into? as i really would like a better mech drill that can dig faster and do more damage to mobs that it hits.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Not directly, but yes. It will teach you the basic foundation that virtually all mods are built on. Most of modding is done by applied knowledge, so if you don't know the basics, you can kill your hopes of doing more complex stuff good bye. There will rarely be a tutorial specifically for what you are looking for.

6. Zagl0

Zagl0 Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, will this guide help me make a mod that causes random Ruin invasions in form of gravity affected tentacle blocks falling in close proximity to colony deeds and spawning mobs (lets say, until all tentacle blocks have been destroyed)?
    I can write hello world in c++ :D

7. The | Suit

8. Zagl0

Zagl0 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks a lot, I feel like this game needs to make the player feel that something is hunting him down, and I see modders adding tiered content/editing stuff mostly (which is propably a lot easier)

edit1
    Thats how I see it:
    requrement: number of colony deeds on planet is X or greater (or a chance to happen, basing on number of colony deeds or number of edited blocks - I know that mobs cant spawn where player has edited background - could be useful)

-find number of "block columns" of horizontal distance to closest colony deed equal or greater than Y

-spawn gravity affected block(or some number of blocks) (like slime) Z tiles above ground on some of those "columns"

-on contact with ground make a "splash" effect (throw measures of some liquid around)
    and spawn a mob spawner (like a hive or something), mobs then try to reach colony deeds, destroying them on contact

-after mobs spawn make some acid falling from sky damaging tiles or replacing them with slime and tentacle blocks or something

I have a few other ideas in my mind, but all of them require some sort of event editing and/or scripting, so I could use some directions :D

edit2: Nevermind, turns out with win10 being crap, I cant unpack anything

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. lazarus78

That has nothing to do with windows 10.

10. Zagl0

Zagl0 Void-Bound Voyager

well then, how can I do it? (cmd thing doesnt work)

11. lazarus78

"didn't work" doesn't tell me anything. The only thing I can assume is you did it wrong.

A batch file in your win32 folder with this WILL work:
    Code:
    @echo off
    echo Unpacking ..\assets\packed.pak into ..\assets\_unpacked
    echo This may take a long time.
    start /wait /min .\asset_unpacker.exe ..\assets\packed.pak ..\assets\_unpacked
    echo Done.
    pause

Zagl0 likes this.
  12. Zagl0

Zagl0 Void-Bound Voyager

it did work, thanks a lot!

13. blkandwhtlion

blkandwhtlion Void-Bound Voyager

Just a nit picking thing really,

For basic modding it uses JSON ( Javascript Oriented Notation )
    should read For basic modding it uses JSON ( Javascript Object Notation )
    under the SO WHAT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE DOES STARBOUND USE?
    section and anywhere else that is mentioned.

On a side note, excellent guide as I can now get my friends to stop bugging me (a developer) to do all of their mods for them haha.

14. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

@The | Suit Several months ago I had put together a useful reference guide to the status effects that are in Starbound. I only ever posted it in one modding help discussion for someone who wanted a listing. I was wondering if you would be interested in including this list in your Modding E-book, I think the list would see a lot of use here. If you are interested we could discuss it further in a conversation.

15. Joseph K

Joseph K Giant Laser Beams

This did finally help me unpack the game files :D

The | Suit likes this.
  16. JudePAPS

JudePAPS Void-Bound Voyager

Weird. I followed your tutorial on making custom decorations but ingame I could'nt find my mod. Could you take a look what's wrong?

Attached Files:

17. SeaworthySponge

SeaworthySponge And Do the MONKEY!

how do i even make a file in mods-go-here

18. The | Suit

I suggest watching the Video Tutorial series instead,

19. Joseph K

Joseph K Giant Laser Beams

You don't. Just make a file in the mods folder.

20. Jetchain or Niall

Jetchain or Niall Big Damn Hero

Help! The e book doesn't show you how to name or where to place the recipe or player.config files! I don't understand anything about modding so I'm stuck.