1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Are you running discord?

2. TheHiveMind42

TheHiveMind42 Space Hobo

3. lazarus78

Close it out completely and try again.

4. TheHiveMind42

TheHiveMind42 Space Hobo

pardon?

never mind. thank you for your help. Quitting discord did it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  5. PrinceZodiac

PrinceZodiac Intergalactic Tourist

Okay, how do I upload that on here?

6. lazarus78

It opens in notepad, so you can just open it and copy it to pastebin.com, then link it here.

7. PrinceZodiac

When I try to open it, it says catastrophic failure. I'm guessing that's bad.

8. lazarus78

Indeed it is. Can you upload that file somewhere like Mediafire?

9. PrinceZodiac

10. lazarus78

11. PrinceZodiac

Trying that but just in case that doesn't work here's a pastebin page with the file: https://pastebin.com/W5JJPxk7

Alright closing it seems to work, and allows me to use mods again! I do wonder why having discord open does that though. Anyways, thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  12. lazarus78

Glad it worked out.

13. legolizard

legolizard Space Hobo

Hi everyone,

I very recently downloaded Starbound through Steam. The game usually crashes after the chuckle fish logo comes up and laughs. Sometimes the game will load to the main menu, but will always promptly crash right after that no matter what. The game never reports an error message (or at least one that pops up in windows). It simply stops responding.

Neither the 32 bit or 64 bit respond differently.

I've tried a number of different suggestions on various plays on the internet, but absolutely none of them have helped at all. Here is a list of things I have tried:

1) Deleted starbound folder, uninstalled through steam, then reinstalled
    2) Reinstalled Visual C++ files
    3) Updated my graphics drivers
    4) Disabled steam overlay
    5) Waited for 30 min and nothing

I do not have any mods installed whatsoever. I haven't even been able to play the game since I purchased it. Currently I'm using Win10.

Thank you in advance.

Etra'v44 likes this.
  14. lazarus78

Absolutly need your starbount.log file located in your starbound/storage folder. The first one, not the other 5.

15. jaguarkitten

jaguarkitten Void-Bound Voyager

I was having the same issue literally and my husband saw someone mention discord so he closed my discord and now it works. Do you have discord? if you do try quitting it and see if it fixes it.

16. HelpMeLol

HelpMeLol Space Hobo

Haha, well I made this account purely because of the issue that I and many people are having (hence the name Helpme) and I followed a bunch of suggestions that I saw after taking a quick look. 3 hours and much frustration later after Installing new drivers, deleting and re-downloading Starbound Multiple times and Restarting steam countless times, I found this and simply turned off Discord overlay and it works. IT FUCKING WORKS. I lost all my game saves just to realise I had to just click a button on Discord. Thanks anyways Lol

17. Namey

Namey Void-Bound Voyager

I unsubscribed from all my mods, uninstalled starbound and deleted all the files, deleted frackin universe, restarted and did a fresh install on starbound. Steam says it's launching, syncing, then it just closes out with no error message. I've updated all my drivers, windows, etc. I don't have discord. All my other Steam games work.

Running Win10 X64

error log:
    https://pastebin.com/XS0w8NEP

18. lazarus78

According to your log there is no inherent issue with the game. It says it starts up and shuts down without issue.

Are you sure this log is from after trying to launch the game?

Might try reinstalling the 2015 VC++ runtime also.

19. delink

delink Void-Bound Voyager

Since the last update the game doesn't start anymore. Re-installing doesn't help. There are 2 versions of the game in the steam launcher: Stable and Unstable. I always used the stable one. Last week i got an update. So i was looking for the update news, but couldn't find one for the stable version. I only found one for the unstable version. So i re-installed a backup of the game folder,that i have made before the update.(I always do this for every game.) It was running again. I checked the version number and it says 1.3.3 . I think that's not the stable one anymore. So i checked the update news again for the changes and i may have figuered out the problem. The update news tells me something about discord integration. Discord is not working on my system. I was trying more than one time to install it. But i always get the message "Not supported operating system". I have Windows 10 Professional x64 and before you ask, no it's not a cracked one. I is bound to a Microsoft Account and activated with a retail key. So it can't be the problem. But i'm sure your discord integration could be the problem that the game isn't starting anymore. Would be nice to try if the newest version is running without the need of discord. In the meantime i play the 1.3.3 backup. Thanks in advance.

20. SaronZ1

SaronZ1 Space Hobo

Well i just bought the Game and it just shows the Error Message "Starbound doesn't work anymore - Searching for a Fix"
    So i reinstalled it twice, verified the Game Files twice, updated my Drivers, installed the vcredist and deleted the rest and its still crashing.
    Steam is the only one running with Chrome, what is left to try to fix this?