Dev Blog Discord Update v1.3.4 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by superconsole, Aug 31, 2018.

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

There is nothing wrong with Starbound's spritework.... Lol.

It's a simplistic pixel art style. A purely stylistic choice. I can also guarantee you many players wouldn't be happy with a sudden, wide scale pixel art rework. (I know I wouldn't)

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I wouldn't be very happy either.

3. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Bloody pirates... I got your point, though. You are right on all of that. All I can think of is a loyal players' crowdfunding through Patreon, or something. Yeah, I'm all out of ideas... I just wished that the updates would resume. Thank you for your thorough answer btw! :)

P.S. As my profile pic says, I'm quite happy with the Starbound pixel art too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Sorry, I think I have been stubborn or something. I just don't want Starbound get hated and stop progressing.
    No, no, no, I don't mean it like that, I would also disagree if they rework all the Starbound sprites' pixel art. What I mean is the pixel art of the main character's portrait picture in Starbound, like Esther Bright, Nuru, Koichi, and the others. I don't know what people usually call it, but it is the picture that appears when they're talking with us, the picture in the bottom left, where there is a text on its right side? What I think is, it would be nice if they renew it, you know Starderdew Valley also renew their character's portrait picture, you can see the its history from the beginning until now. So, what I meant is not the pixel art of the chair, table, cat, snaunt, poptop, or the other sprites, they're already awesome, okay.

So, I hope you don't misunderstand what I meant again. Sorry if I wasn't so clear enough.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  5. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Could anyone tell me, please, what is the new content for the 1.3.4 update. Are there any new furniture sets, etc? I would be thankful for some info.
    Have a great day, all!

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Thusfar, they have *only* spoken about the Discord functionality...

Nothing else has been revealed or even hinted at that I know of. What was originally mentioned, the bounty hunting system, was scrapped.

7. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The truth is that they have herniated with the update 1.3.4 if xD or a couple of small bugs fixed, or added objects, this does cause me discord to my haha

8. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Thank you!

9. Arsakes

Arsakes Phantasmal Quasar

Wow,
    basically you made this discord feature with sole purpose of boosting your sales, while providing no additional content at all?
    Great idea only...
    Why should anyone bother buying this game, when its cleary don't give a shit about making it better for people that already paid, wheras other games of similar niche (Planet Centauri for example, Starmade) are being actively expanded with new content (not new ways/channels of getting gamers money).
    If you really do not plan to develop Starbound, why not make one last effort and expand / document modding API - you still will have community to generate content.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    ZubDubDubby likes this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

We don't know yet that it is *only* discord functionality and nothing else, it's just that the discord functionality is the only thing that has been confirmed so far. If it were JUST that (which is already up on the Unstable), then surely the update would have been pushed Live by now. But, apparently, there's something holding it back, something that hasn't reached the Unstable yet.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Xylia

What if I told you it is just Discord integration?

Anything outwardly visible (like changing the little "Steam" checkbox to read "Steam/Discord") would appear in the assets pack. Literally the only other such thing in this update was an indentation fix.

It's not stable yet because the important thing about Discord itself is a work in progress.

I don't mean to put down the developers or make any wild statements here, just stating facts.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hmm. Well that's kinda depressing. Ah well.

I was trying to look at it positively. I suppose I shouldn't be doing that, lol.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's 2018. Positivity died roughly two years ago.

ZubDubDubby likes this.
  14. Daikon Ocelot

So, what is the intention of this Discord Update? I don't see it helps SB very much. It is just like a null solution for SB's current issue.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I guess it is kinda like Steam Integration with Terraria, it's to help people connect and play Multiplayer easier and to make it easier for them to sell copies of SB, perhaps hoping that boosting Multiplayer visibility will help the game do better, or something?

Maybe it's one of those "get something out the door to buy time while they develop something else", I dunno.

16. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The cancellation of the 1.4 is very widespread in the forums and the game is very stopped in the sense of updates, personally I think that Discord update is not going to help them much.

If you want to stand out in your current state, you can just put a "big" update, everything else will come alone.

What is doing that this game still endures are the modders, they and their mods are the ones that still keep the game facing the public, any kind of mod, and especially mods of translations, in a forum that I walk on, there are people who bought the game "just because my translation exists in nexus mods", they would not have bought anything but for that mod.

There are others that English is not a problem, but have seen that it is not updated to anything decent in a long time, and that has thrown them back in their purchase, this happens a lot and a long time xD

17. Daikon Ocelot

Oh, well... if it's really like that, I hope it works.
    I just really really wish that the mods is the vanilla version itself. I think it would make things easier and simpler.

Sometimes, I wonder if the modders were the developer.

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's funny cos at least one of the devs was a modder initially.

19. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

There are many developers who were modders, without going very far, a friend of mine who made translations of games from different platforms, is one of the official translators of Nintendo Spain today.

The current Doom mapping manager (unless he has changed) was a modder who made custom maps and sent them to the company every day, the company ignored him until one day they spoke with him and they hired him.

The creator of Falskaar (Skyrim's first fan expansion) was hired by Bethesda to work with them.

As these cases are many, it is not really strange, one of the reasons why many modders do what they do, it is because they expect someone to recognize their work by hiring them in a company, not all, but that is the illusion of many modders xD

777JackOfBlades likes this.
  20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

No, I mean one of the SB developers modded the SB beta way back then.