1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

Right, picked the game up today and tried to take it out for a spin; crashing on the initial loading section (the chuckling fish thing?) without an error message.

I've run through the options suggested in the OP (deleting the directory and performing a fresh install, checking Visual C++ 2015 and repairing it/updating it, ensuring my graphics drivers are up-to-date). I've tried everything that's been put forwards to no avail, and it's left me contemplating making a refund request.

Is there anyway I can force/locate an error log in the files? I would like to at least play the game a bit.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The game always makes a log regardless of if it crashes or not, and saves it in the starbound storage folder (Wherever you installed it)

3. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

I'm assuming these are what I'm looking for then?

upload_2018-8-28_10-50-40.png

Attached Files:

4. lazarus78

Your player metadata file is messed up. Go into the player folder and delete it.

5. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

I made it past the logo now, only to crash at the main menu proper.

EDIT: Nope, even that worked temporarily.

upload_2018-8-28_18-6-29.png

Bizarrely, the game will load fine if I run it as an administrator from the 64bit executable. This isn't ideal, as I was counting on earning those Steam achievements...

6. lazarus78

If its crashing in a different place, then we need the new log.

7. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

Updated log.

Attached Files:

8. lazarus78

Still saying there is a problem with your metadata file.

Try copying the player folder somewhere, then clear it out of any existing files.

Could you also upload your metadata file? Im curious what is in it.

9. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

It won't let me upload the file directly onto the website, so I've thrown it on a Google Drive link here.

10. lazarus78

Seems like perhaps the game can't properly access the metadata file, perhaps a permissions issue. Hard to diagnose without seeing things first hand.

Is the file set to read only?

11. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

From the looks of it, no.

upload_2018-8-28_21-40-34.png

I'm beginning to feel like there's not going to be an easy solution.

12. lazarus78

The only remaining thing I can think of is a permissions issue. You said it works fine when you run as admin, correct? I don't know what would cause that to affect only one file though.

13. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

I decided to take a whack at the Steam subfolder permissions using this guide, but that still doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. At this stage I'm going to have to seriously consider asking for a refund.

14. lazarus78

15. Isinfier

Isinfier Space Hobo

Huh, apparently that's completely solved it now. That's... annoying. Bugger to Discord, then.

Thank you for your time! \o

16. lazarus78

Glad you got it resolved. I just happened on that post and the circumstances seemed the same so I figured it was worthwhile to suggest.

17. PrinceZodiac

PrinceZodiac Intergalactic Tourist

Sorry, misunderstood what that meant. How do I post a log?

18. TheHiveMind42

TheHiveMind42 Space Hobo

Hi, new here. Same problem, same question. Any help would be greatly appreciated

19. lazarus78

In the starbound folder, where the game is installed, there is a folder labeled "storage". In there are 5 files called starbound.log. The very first one is the file we need.

20. TheHiveMind42

TheHiveMind42 Space Hobo

is this correct?

Attached Files: