Modding Help Modding crop growth cycles?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by keelen6, Aug 20, 2018.

1. keelen6

keelen6 Void-Bound Voyager

Normally I use FTL crops for this, but the last update broke compatibility between it and ore plants+, namely one of the seed machines crashes the game when opened. Apparently voxelseedt0 isn't found or something of the like - I can't recall exactly. As a result, I've uninstalled FTL plants. So now I've got the vanilla 30-40 minute growth cycle plants, and I really do not want to deal with that when the vast majority of my material income comes from a 5-layer farm built into my ship with automated bots and an item network. I used to get hundreds of ores/bars per minute, now I'm lucky to get twenty in half an hour (working with mostly t2-3 seeds). I'm wondering how difficult it'll be to make something that ups the growth rate on any growables -both vanilla and non. I've been looking into farmables.config and the like to potentially patch them, as well as the Ore Plants+ mod file but there's no universal growth multiplier I can find.
    So my question is twofold:
    1) Should I bother making a mod to speed up plant growth to a reasonable timeframe or just wait for FTL crops/Ore plants to come out with a patch? I know that FTL crops has already been alerted to this issue on the steam workshop at least.
    2) If I do try to make such a mod, how should I begin going about it? I'm new to mod making in starbound, so any advice is appreciated. I'd like to make any growth bonus compatible with all crops, both vanilla and non, if that's easily doable.
    Thanks for the help!

2. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Well for now I would probably roll back the version. But you may end up making some kind of great mod, so I encourage you to take this opportunity to either make a compatibility patch or make a growth speed patch!

Growing times and stages are in the object file for each plant (seed). I poked around a bit and I don't see any kind of reference to a growing script. Instead, it looks like farmables are objects, just like a bookshelf, with stages. During the final stage you can harvest (interact with) for drops. So it looks like you're going to need to modify each individual seed, sorry. :(

Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully so.

3. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

this is actually the case bc I remember some1 saying they had to go through every single plant to change 1 common factor and will not do modded bc of that

4. keelen6

keelen6 Void-Bound Voyager

Ouch... There are over a thousand plants in Ore Plants+...
    Is the code A) the same for every plant (ie, can I use a replace feature to just instantly change each one or do I have to manually hunt it down) and B ) would this affect anything else?
    EDIT: why does B ) without the space turn into the cool emoticon? I'm confused.

5. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

I don't have the mod but would surmise that the higher tier plants have a longer growth cycle, as that is how I would build such a mod. Even still, you could probably write a batch file to change the values to a uniform value by having it match the tag and replace everything after the tag with your arguments.

And :cool: is a smiley wearing shades of course, usually it has a hyphen in it for a nose though.

6. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

what you can do to be able to use B) is use [plain]B)[/plain]