Dev Blog Starbound's 2 Year Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jul 22, 2018.

1. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Yeah i have to admit that i was exaggerating there so sorry for that, But like i said, it was bottled up rage so you know you sorta get more and more angry over time so its better that i unleash it now before it only got worse over time so its hard to think strait but that doesn't make it any better so i am very sorry for that. I should have rather just mention that i didn't like it at all like everyone else but the forum was so full of that already so i figure that it didn't matter.

But i didn't exaggerate when i said that they are almost never here.
    and the game is one of chucklefishs most popular games so it seems very werid that they aren't updating it more. it makes the players a bit uneasy.

Also i tryed the mods but they broke the game for me eventually and ruined my save files so i had to delete them.
    Also i couldn't play with other players if they didn't have the mods and most of my friend wanted to play without it since they where mostly used to how it where now.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Vrow likes this.
  2. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

When modding Starbound, you just have to take precautions.

-Always do back ups when installing new mods
    -Know that not all mods are compatible with each other, and can potentially cause conflicts with one another.
    -Use common sense.

An alternative to the Chucklefish forums for mods would also be trying the workshop method.. Where downloading them is as easy as clicking a sub button.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  3. General Nuclear

Yeah ''genius'' me thought 'hey you could have the modded version on the laptop and the un-modded version on the pc so you can play with your friend on the pc while playing the modded version the laptop' before thinking about making a back up and i even forgot the steam cloud and turning it off on the laptop so it downloaded the mods on the pc too so not only did i ruin the save on the laptop i ruined the saves on the pc too :facepalm: and to get that to work i would have need to download it from the chucklefish forum from the start on. but as the ''genius'' i am sometimes figured that it would be better to do it with steam.

4. Greenfinger

Greenfinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Making a no-story mode (without the linear story that a lot of people are complaining about) would greatly benefit the game, just pointing this out. Return to the times right before you started working on the Outpost. Randomization used to be one of the game's main gimmicks - go back to it, without the abundance of pre-made mobs/bosses/NPCs. Try to make the game branch out in a different direction - the direction that was supposed to be continued back then, not abandoned. Some people still have hope that you will go back, before the cluster of mistakes, and give us the game that we wanted from the start.

Kumpel and Speed Lightning like this.
  5. General Nuclear

The thing is that, i mean is that they could have had both if they put some more time into it, like if the pre made stuff mobs and bosses, npcs, missions etc where more rare to find and that you actually had to look for them instead of starting with a mission that takes away part of the main thing with the game mainly the exploring element by sending us to the ruin right away. I have never like being pushed in any directions in games. and the ruin shouldn't have been used for everything there should have been other places to go to too.

But when your getting coordinates to go somewhere like in skyrim instead of just getting teleported to the questing area right away then its different.
    Like you can If you want to go here to find a point of interest while still having random generated planets even if you don't have a quest to go there. Rather then you must go here in this particular linear order or you wont get the next quest at all tier crap.
    But even thats not that bad as long as we have enough missions and quest to go with it. But there where waaaaaaaaaaaay too few missions for that to work on a system like that. I mean seriously two quests for every race really? you expect that to keeps us going for long?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Speed Lightning, Vrow and Greenfinger like this.
  6. Greenfinger

Greenfinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So much this.

Vrow and General Nuclear like this.
  7. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Every race"

*Cries in Novakid*

8. Von Marlon

Von Marlon Pangalactic Porcupine

You are going to get this with many things today unfortunately. It is a business at the end of the day. You can cry all you want about updates but the reality is when there is money to be made (especially on a dated product), that will always come first and screaming at people is not going to change that. They can do what they want, when they want and you'll be peeing in the wind if you think you can change that.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Starbound. It's been a roller coaster.

mechaghost2003 likes this.
  9. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I suggest game updates is not the right answer for now. The devs seem to be very busy right now, I don't know with what, but maybe with the Xbox version and I don't now for how long (thinking of it makes me angry and annoyed). For now the devs need to improve the game engine, make it smoother, less lag, make the game playable in a low spec PC or laptop. For me, a great game is a game with a fine graphic, but a low system requirement.

10. 777JackOfBlades

Agree multi-core performance and graphic option is the top 1 priority, I can't believe the game lag on my pc with good graphic card and 16GB ram but run perfectly on the exact same pc but only with 12GB ram. And my 8GB ram laptop run at less than 5fps, it's UNPLAYABLE. and Terraria run fine.

11. ManicRykker

Yes they are busy with something, and it is the Xbox port. We've been told that is their primary focus right now. If there would be any update news, it would be after the console port is finished and released.

12. Daikon Ocelot

We will just have to wait then, like I said before, I don't know for how long.

By the way, is there any new news from them?

13. 777JackOfBlades

not in quite a long time, nothing since they've said xbox version was still coming in the 2nd anniversary post

14. AbsoluteXeroEX

AbsoluteXeroEX Phantasmal Quasar

Has it really been two years since full release...? Lordy, time sure does fly.

I've been with this game since its Koala days, at least, and while a lot of the content I get to experience comes from the modding community mostly, I'm still glad that Starbound overall is still around and kicking. Even with some of the more 'depressing' updates from the dev team, it's still eons better than not hearing anything at all, and I'm glad to see that the devs are still working on it. To Chucklefish: Thank you for your dedicated support overall!

15. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

Damn. Starbound.

Ive been playing this game for awhile. like, since its been playable a while. I bought the silver tier off humble bundle back in December 2013 because I saw this weird indie game that just resonated with me. I saw the look, the gameplay, the style, and I just instantly fell in love. Its been 4 and a half years since then, and I must say I haven't played this game in at least a couple months. I loved following the development process and seeing the changes. I loved jumping into nightly only to get blasted with bugs that would make Bethesda weep. This ridiculous and amazing game with a great team has and will always have a special place in my heart and remain one of my favorite games of all time. Not because the game as it is now is particularly mind blowing, but because I felt like I was contributing to the game when I jumped into the nightly branches and hunted for bugs. Even if the game is somewhat dead, I still wish the best on everyone over there at Chucklefish. The ride has been amazing, and hell, I might just start up my copy and ride this beauty one more time.

- Thanks for everything guys! Ben.

Edit: Now I feel all sad.

16. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

That your laptop move the game to 5 fps is a problem of your laptop, I played Starbound on a Sony Vaio quite old, dual core processor at 1.9ghz, 4gb of ram, amd graph of 512, and I played the game perfectly, even to play more comfortable I had to lower the resolution a little, but because I wanted to, not because I needed it.

For me it is a problem of your hardware, at 5 fps it is not normal, the game has its performance problems but "ONLY" when you build massively, if you create a large company full of NPCs there will be performance problems, but the rest of the game will very very well, at least for me, and I do not think it's the only one xD

Performance problems have Subnautica, that if serious performance problems, but it is something that Unknow World has sought, choose an engine that does not work well for this type of game just because they know it and is comfortable working with it, it gives result a very good game with a bad performance, that if they are problems, compared, Starbound goes superbly well xD

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  17. Daikon Ocelot

Yes, you're right, and this is the kind of problem I am talking about. When we build a huge colony with many NPCs or having a lot of furniture or storage inside a spaceship or your very own mansion, it lags the game and it is kinda annoying, because you've got to struggle againts the game lag. We are not just exploring and looking for treasure in SB, we also build a colony, city, village, or other things that can be considered as a home, because SB storyline force us to abandon our home and made us a homeless. That is why they need to improve the SB game performance.

18. ManicRykker

You have to remember, each and every one of those npcs is running scripts/has AI. As the number of these increases, it's only natural that issues would occur.

I'd say there are some games that are Graphics intensive, and others Processing intensive. Many gamers get fooled by the latter when it comes to 2D games...

So many assume just because there's some 2D pixelart moving on their screen, that their PC should be able to handle it... But that isn't the case at all. One PC that can play Cave Story, might not be able to play Oxygen Not Included. Why?

Because in ONI's case, there's a lot going on under the hood. Lot of AI to keep track of...

People say "optimize a game".. But how do you do this? It's not as simple as a game developer waving a magic wand after all.

Honestly, instead of complaining about how Starbound performs on some systems, we should find out "why" it performs the way it does on systems.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  19. Daikon Ocelot

Well, I am not complaining. I am not trying to force them to do it, because I know it is very hard to deal with that kind of thing. I just want to give them a suggestion, a reminder making sure they know it, because they don't talk much like before anymore. But, you got a good point there, we should find out why SB performs that way.

20. VitaminK

VitaminK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This could have gone so much better had post-launch support not slowed to basically nothing. 2-year anniversary isn't much to celebrate when a year has gone by without an update. Hope xbox pays off for them...