WIP Pagan Emily Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by minibit, Jun 25, 2018.

?

Which Emily Sprite do you like best?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2018.
  1. 1 (purple shawl, blue tunic-style dress)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 2 (Purple bunched peasant skirt, white blouse)

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. 3 (white puffy blouse w/corset, red full skirt)

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. 4 (brown detailed poncho wrap, red shirt underneath, tan leggings)

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. 5 (green dress w/corset)

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  6. 6 (red shirt w/corset, long white skirt)

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Another idea, which I will describe and provide a reference picture for in a comment!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. minibit

minibit Void-Bound Voyager

I always suspected Emily might be a witch.
    • She comments that the valley is full of spirits and magic
    • She is the only character shown to practice meditation and possible astral travel (2 heart event)
    • Her marriage dialogue describes her performing several charms around the farm and over your children (if you have any)
    • She expresses concern for the natural life in the valley
    I was disappointed that the game left Emily's spirituality unidentified, at times it sometimes seemed like her references to magick only served to paint her as the village crazy lady.

So, I gave her an overhaul!

I've updated Emily's room using Strawberrymilk95's Witchy Furniture mod and MissyDiabolical's Wallpaper and Flooring mod at 2 Willow Lane as well as her spouse room to include an altar, some potions, and an increased Green Witch / Nature aesthetic.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll also be touching up her sprite and portrait for a few reasons:
    1. Witchy celtic-inspired clothes!!!!
    2. With her hair colour, a fashionista like Emily should know better than to wear bright red.
    3. The red dress also clashes with her new rooms.
    The trouble is, I can't seem to find a design I like!

Here are a few (very rough) sketches of some outfit ideas. If anyone could let me know if they like one better than the others, that'd help :)

Okay after looking at votes and comparing how the different sprites look in her new rooms, the winner is...
    [​IMG]

Oh, I've also completely overhauled her dialogue. I expanded it quite a bit:
    • Emily now mentions the moon phase on occasion
    • Emily now makes references to her spellwork
    • Emily now mentions the sabbats
    • Emily now mentions her meditations
    • Emily occasionally greets the player with 'merry meet!'
    • Emily now mentions her acquaintance with the Wizard
    • The Wizard now mentions Emily's visits to the forest
    • Emily now mentions the Juminos
    Questions, suggestions, and ideas for additions are all welcome! ^_^

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    • .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

I love the idea of this! Emily has been my least favourite bachelorette, so I think an overhaul for her would be nice. :)
      IDK how, but maybe have her have a relationship with the wizard? I know Abigail visits his tower, and maybe you could have her visit the forest to explore the flora and fauna too.

Roskii Heiral and minibit like this.
      • minibit

Thanks! I've added a few lines of dialogue about her spending time in the woods, but I'll see if I can work a relationship with the Wizard in, too! Maybe I'll have him mention her visits, too :)

Oh, also I refreshed the sprite options for Emily; I know a couple people liked the purple and blue ones, but I wanted to maintain the nature witch aesthetic. Votes are changeable!

Roskii Heiral likes this.
        • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I think i like option 3 most, but they are all pretty neat. Really like the idea here, emily kinda feels like she was just tossed in with a few quirks in vanlla. Its nice to see her expanded on.

Maybe you could also do something w/ her and juminos, like she mentions that she can see them too?

minibit likes this.
          • putaytoe

putaytoe Void-Bound Voyager

just popped in to say that I absolutely love this idea and am looking forward to your progress! <3

minibit likes this.
            • digitaleevee

digitaleevee Void-Bound Voyager

these are so pretty and make me really happy! if you dont mind the suggestion, i think it would look nice if the wood furniture in her room matched the witchy furniture wood color :0

minibit likes this.
              • lexxyraptor

lexxyraptor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh! Emily has always been my favorite but this would make her even better <3 Love my little crystal collector and seamstress <3

However I am already using the 'cuter sprites' mod that modifies all villagers... I don't know how compatible it would be with the sprite modifications on her.

• princessiphi

princessiphi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great ideas! Do you plan to overhaul the marriage dialogue of my lovely wife Emily as well? I talk to her everyday and I love her dialogue (especially her concern for the squirrels) but the repetition present in marriage dialogues can get stale after a while

• minibit

Unfortunately the dialogue and sprites are in the same xnb, so she'd be overwritten with the new sprites. It'd be simple for a user to swap out the sprites using XNBNode though
                    Just don't replace the sprite and portrait files :)
                    I am modding the marriage dialogue, too, yes. Our dear little witch doesn't have nearly enough lines.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
                    • paradigmnomad

paradigmnomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dialogue and sprites aren't in the same XNB

Sprites are in Characters/Emily & Portraits/Emily
                      Dialogue is Characters/Dialogue/Emily & MarriageDialogueEmily

• minibit

That's what I get for posting half-asleep
                        /is moron
                        I got all my packs mixed up, herp a derp!

So yeah, if you don't want to change her appearance, just skip the sprite and portrait xnbs when you're adding the files.

• minibit

Updated the rooms and picked a sprite!

If I'm ever bored and feeling like I need to be punished for something I might make alternative spritesheets with some of the other options.

putaytoe likes this.
                          • coldazrael

coldazrael Existential Complex

I've been watching this thread... Waiting for the download link... ;/
                            I'm still a noob to stardew village, this forum, and the modding stuff as well, but perhaps if you think my noob works might be useful, here's my version of her marriage dialogue below (both xnb and the yaml)

Here are some changes that I've made

-Cooks breakfast in most sunny day (prolly the chances are 80%), only when she's in the house and not during a fixed date that she wasn't set to give any gifts at all, for example during 2nd of summer (1st time I saw her unique emote), she was like.. probably praying o_O, so logically It won't be convenient to cook breakfast on that state and not during her meditation time as well. There are more fixed lines based on date that is purely meant to balance the gameplay as well.
                            -Cooks dinner sometimes (about 30% chance, more chance during the rains), just like above, only when she's in the house.
                            -Cooks a season-based meal (not fully tested if it happens during day or night, but I reckon the chance is quite low).
                            -Removed the chance of getting the rice pudding from her, since it was one of the items she disliked.
                            -Added some flirty and a little sexual innuendos.
                            -Changed the flying insects that she mentioned.
                            -Will mention one of her friends when she cooked the food that she learned from them, which gives you a hint that you are able to obtain the recipes from her friends as well, for example Caroline during her 3rd heart and Sandy during her 7th heart will send you a mail of a food recipe.
                            -Will give you a hint for her upcoming birthday.
                            -Will mention her parents and Haley.
                            -Will remind you about the danger in the deep part of mines.

I know all those stuff have nothing to do with all the pagan stuff but only based on being at least.. a proper wife and more to general in-game benefits. Just in case if you or someone needs it, though. :/ I can just add some magical stuff but needs to be based on something, which is your Idea, with no permission granted at all. :(
                            And I might have oversee some stuff that doesn't match with those changes I mentioned above, so just let me know about that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
                            • minibit

Bruh I don't own the idea of Em being a pagan If you want to add that into your mod, go for it.

This project is going to take a while for work and health reasons, so please have patience for the download link.

• coldazrael

Sorry? i just kinda confused here o_O you are the thread starter, the the title is exactly named 'pagan emily', i see no other result in google except your own thread, if it wasn't you then who? did you post in your half-sleep state? o_O

Welp I didn't meant to be impatient :unsure: , no need to rush and by all means just take your time, mate.

Another question, if i'm not mistaken, a witch in SDV was into dark arts, does this emily dabbles in dark arts or no?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
                                • minibit

I meant that, like, I'm not holding a copyright on it, so anyone who wants can feel free to do whatever with this idea.

I didn't mean to call you impatient, either. I just wanted to let you know that this is gonna take awhile :)

Oh and no, in this mod, Emily is not a witch who uses curses or hexes. She's more of a green witch interested in connecting with nature and living in harmony with the world around her.

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Kinda like a druid, i'm guessing?

• coldazrael

@minibit Here's a suggestion, that she will mention this (appears only in marriage dialogue)
                                      that pedobear who asked you for 'may-pal srrup' in the secret note, which is i thought it was probably the same bear she encountered during the 10hearts event, so i made it into 3 options :
                                      1. She actually have no knowledge about the bear at all during the 10hearts event, but she realized it after the 10 hearts she felt 'something magical' about that bear, she also thinks that the bear wasn't mean any harm at all
                                      2. She knows the bear, but the bear during the 10hearts was different one, that's why she freaked out
                                      3. She knows the bear, she conspired with the bear, both planned to lure the MC to the tent, leaving one sleeping bag outside, so she could 'romantically share the sleeping bag' with the MC
                                      4. Perhaps your own idea or the combination of those 3 above

the decision is yours.

That would mean she's a druid, agreed with this guy V V
                                      imo it would be better if you change those 'witchy' words in the description into 'druidic' instead

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
                                      • ShadySha

ShadySha Void-Bound Voyager

Druid and Green Witches are different things. I believe she means something like the stereotypical "wise woman" that's commonly depicted as an old wrinkly woman or aged spinster that lives in/near the forest, and has a lot of "strange, magical" knowledge of local fauna and flora. Like what forest plants can heal you or are for eating/medicine and what ones will kill you deader than dead.

Remember, Not all Witches are wiccan, not all pagans are wiccans. Wiccans can be pagan, or not. Emily is more like an ecletic (sp?) witch that borrows from different paths.

minibit likes this.
                                        • coldazrael

The 'she' you mentioned refers to the thread starter rite? @minibit sorry i just realised your gender few seconds ago lol

If you mean so, then i'd say this
                                          I didn't delve that far to bring wiccans, ecletics out of nowhere o_O . I merely put my opinion based of stereotypical movie stuff, so witches reeks to evil side and druids, obviously to good side.
                                          Druid and green witch being different or not it doesn't really matter, some people might've thought they were same. As for my personal thoughts, in much movies I've watched, games I've played, mythologies I've read, green witches just doesn't exists, I just saw the term once I arrived on this thread.
                                          So whatever point of view the thread starter were on, I'll just follow it.