Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I doubt it.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, if it didn't then the person would be screwed when it comes to outpost unlocks, because quests are not repeatable. If you complete the quests, and then delete your universe file, and the Outpost goes back to having nothing unlocked and you got a character that did all the quests then you'd be screwed, right? At least if you wanted to access any of the NPCs that came from the questline?

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's universe flags, not player flags. If you want to start a new character with a fresh new Outpost, that's the ticket. Or use that one console command, same effect.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  4. VitaminK

VitaminK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So two months later and still no news? Not to mention it's been 8 months since the last update... Ya'll have really let me down with this game. Thought it'd replace Terraria but it just makes me want to go back and play it instead.

Ickura, Boshed and DarthTrethon like this.
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, to be fair, Terraria oftentimes goes a good 2 years between updates itself.

Kawa likes this.
  6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think a difference can be made between updates and communication/interaction with the devs/community manager.

Boshed likes this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Again, Terraria announced the next major patch a long time ago AND their latest Community Post about the patch was a spoiler released on Apr 16th. That's 2 months and 10 days ago. Prior to that, was one made on May 26, 2017.

So 10 months and ~20 days went by between May 26, 2017 and Apr 16th, 2018.

All of their other official forum communication was stuff not related to the newest Terraria update (Otherworld and its Cancellation, etc).

EDIT: Sorry, I missed a couple because they got scrolled down. We have...

May 12th, 2017
    May 19th 2017
    May 26th, 2017
    Jun 02, 2017
    Jul 14th, 2017
    Apr 16th, 2018

There's still a large gap between Jul14th and Apr16th of 2018. There's also one on Sep 2017, about Beta Tester application being closed but no actual info about the patch itself.

EDIT2: Current Terraria version went live on Nov 14th, 2016.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Why should I care about Terraria? Terraria is made by another company. Why is Terraria somehow the best I can expect for forum communication and interaction from the devs, which is something not specific to the sandbox? Why even bring Terraria into this?

Also, the community manager stating that they will provide us with more information on something "very soon", makes me wonder how soon is that when its 2 months in. When the devs are inconsistent with when and how they give out their message, people's opinions on the game's continued activity and their confidence in the devs suffers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018
    Boshed and Vrow like this.
  9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh.......wtf?

I think someone's post disappeared and I clicked on yours to reply to.

Someone else posted about "Terraria has gone just as long!" and I was meaning to reply to THAT person and clicked reply on your post instead, sorry about that. And now I don't even SEE the post I was meaning to reply to.

EDIT: Also my original point is someone in this thread said that "At least Terraria doesn't do this!" to which my response with the post that I quoted the wrong person in, my point is this:

Re-Logic has done the same thing, where they'd go 6+ months between communications on the O-boards. So it isn't JUST Chucklefish doing this.

ManicRykker likes this.
  10. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah I remember seeing another post too...

And yeah, singling out a company like what they're doing is some kind of special case is stupid. I've seen other game devs go quiet for just as long... And to be perfectly honest people should be grateful they even do these blog updates at all..

They could just as easily only do posts when an update pushes. (The fact they even broke the news about the 1.4 delay in the first place shows they at least care.)

The Squid likes this.
  11. ValoTheBrute

ValoTheBrute Intergalactic Tourist

so your cancelling it cause it doesnt fit with the stupid protector theme hopefully FU cas bring it back

12. ValoTheBrute

ValoTheBrute Intergalactic Tourist

try playing Frakin Universe

13. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

Although both groups have taken a long time to post updates, I have noticed several differences. The most easily-seen difference - and, for that reason, what appears to influence community unrest most - is in their Starbound blog entries. The last blog entry regarding features for the bounty system was on 18 October 2017. On 2 February 2018, a set of furniture was shared. Through Tom Katkus, the developers came back two months later - on 20 April 2018 - to announce that the update was essentially cancelled, with announcements regarding the XBox port; despite their claims on 20 April 2018 that they have "been working on making the final adjustments before [they] feel it’s ready for release", I admittedly do not understand the threshold that they consider to be "final adjustments", especially due to my own belief that even a single month, in general, is a long time.

The reason that I mention this summary of the recent updates is because I have no memory of Terraria's developers - Re-Logic - breaking "radio silence" with what can be argued to be a vague cancellation of development. Chucklefish, however, have implied that they have had opportunities for extensive discussion and experimentation, which led to the cancellation; despite the other projects that they work on they should hypothetically be able to do this more quickly in daily discussions or official meetings, and certainly, they would be able to provide more specific details. (In order to clarify, although Tom Katkus said that it was "put on hold", I have a suspicion that it may have been cancelled entirely due to the circumstances, which is why I use the word "cancellation".)

For certain reasons, I will leave the other differences up to others to research for themselves further; for example, at one point, I remember seeing what appeared to be quotes from past developers regarding Chucklefish's development of the game.

With that said, perhaps I am excessively analyzing small details, and to be honest, I hope that I am. My concern, however, is that I have noticed far less unrest in the Terraria community. In response to Terraria: Otherworld being cancelled, many people simply acknowledged it and calmly expressed their disappointment; most importantly, they generally did not hold it against Re-Logic, evidently primarily due to the way that those developers communicated about the decision. I believe that Kawa has access to chatrooms with developers, which - if they provide specific details there - indicates that they are not neglecting the game entirely. If Chucklefish's developers were to do something similar here by simply posting more often and being more specific about what they are doing, as they had been doing in the distant past, this will encourage more communication with the community and potentially more development progress.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

In the case of T:OW, I think after 2+ years, most people were already consigned to never seeing T:OW because of all the delays, and the switch in companies was a pretty telling "nope, not gonna happen" deal.

I was not surprised in the least when it was finally cancelled and I think many other players weren't surprised either.

That, and the theme of T:OW, Tower Defense, was polarizing... it split the playerbase, some liked the idea, some didn't really want it, they wanted a Terraria 2 instead.

Meanwhile, the cancellation of the bounty system and the delay of 1.4 itself came out of the blue, out of nowhere.

15. VitaminK

VitaminK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starting to think there is only a skeleton crew left working on this game..

Boshed, Ickura and Vrow like this.
  16. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I agree with Xylia here. When it came to Terraria Otherworld I was expecting either one two things;

1. They were eventually going to release it and it was going to be garbage. Delaying a game a few times will not put me off when anticipating a game, but switching companies and delays has "disaster piece" written all over it. I was interested in the game at first but I started to not care anymore. Personally I anticipated this outcome more than the other. I figured that they would either want to please their large fan base with a new game, or simply take advantage of the popularity of Terraria's name to rake in more cash in spite of quality, or a combination of the two.

2. They would say "game is not working, game is not happening" and move on to a new project. I did expect the whole internet to explode violently over this news, but every one was more calm than I was expecting. I imagine that most of the people were like me and began to lose interest and/or expect a bad game. I feel that not much was lost there with the cancellation of Otherworld though. There was never an early access to my knowledge, it was all blog posts about various features they were making. Had there been an early access to play, then I believe there would be mass outrage over the cancellation.

When it comes to Starbound 1.4 I can understand why people could be upset. It looked like one of the most interesting features to be added to Starbound so far. I, personally, prefer to have been told that the update has been shelved for now; it is much better than a long time of silence and then an update that is not bounty hunting and a note saying "Bounty hunting was not working, have this instead." Or even worse than being given something other than Bounty Hunting, having the developers quietly back away from this game never to be seen again.

On another note, I wish there was some way that I could pitch those ideas of mine more directly to Chucklefish. I am not sure how much they actually see when we post in these developer blogs or in the suggestions forum, but often times it seems like we may be somewhat ignored. I think that the things I suggested could actually help to give Bounty Hunting the more "integrated" feel that they want.

17. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Make no mistake, Chucklefish is a company, and a company seeks to make money, they had 2 options:

1 - We continue with the update 1.4.
    2 - We put 100% with the port of xone (here if there is more money * O *).

Obviously Chucklefish opted for the second option, a port to xone will give them more money, there will be many people who buy their game, perhaps at that time begin to get more updates.

When the port to xone is finished, 2 things can happen:

1 - New updates, for PC and xone (it would be logical).

2 - They leave the game as it is, in PC and xone would stay in version 1.3.3, they earn money, we are left without the update.

Place your bets xD

18. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

When the port to the X-Box is done I expect that they are going to quickly start making ports to more consoles. For a long time they have been saying "Starbound will be on the X-Box" and then they keep on releasing new updates. I think that it is simply a matter of how they can not make their port when they keep on updating their game instead, and money. I also say that they are going to port it to other consoles very rapidly because more money. Considering how well Stardew Valley has done with its release on the Nintendo Switch I doubt they would simply just not think about it; I have been keeping up with the games that have been selling the best on the Switch's online store and Stardew Valley has sat very comfortably among the fifteen best sellers pretty much since its release. The count resets every two weeks which means that it continually sells like candy. Quite frankly, I am surprised by how well it is doing on the Switch; it looks like it may have stolen Harvest Moon's thunder.

One more reason I anticipate ports to Nintendo and Sony platforms is that it is actually cheaper than you would think to make a game available to purchase digitally. Making a game work on other gaming devices is not too hard a process as far as I can tell, especially when you already have a console version to work from. They already made an interface to work with controllers they just need to make it work with the hardware.

Perhaps I am simply wishing too much for a port to the Nintendo Switch. I do not care about any consoles or systems other than the ones from Nintendo, and the blogs have only been saying X-Box. I will play a couple of games from Independent Developers (like Chucklefish) on PC; but other than that I have literally have never bothered to actually play anything other than something you can find on a Nintendo Console (and even then my selection of those games are limited.)

19. DarkBirdo

DarkBirdo Phantasmal Quasar

What I would suggest would be like another 1.3.x update to keep things "alive" with bug fixes and some new minor content like bringing back the pre 1.0 nightly weapons like the "Hackmanite" and the craftable racial weapons from the koala beta.
    The 1.4 could feature different, optional, alternative origins for your character like a Glitch outcast running away from the one still connected to the hive mind, a Novakid that barely escaped from a fight, an Apex running from the police, things like that and maybe some variety between the races like...racial abilities and non humans being a bit less humanoid maybe, for example, avians being able to glide and having their arms/wings tucked close to their body and deeper chest like birds, the hylotl being able to swim better and breathe underwater and possessing a tail, maybe one they use to walk on land...
    Is this reasonable?

Ickura and davoker like this.
  20. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I find your ideas interesting, at least they could update with bug fixes, one of the most annoying bugs you can find in the game:

On planets with fiery stars, if you go to a planet and you find a small city, and suddenly embers fall from the sky, the embers destroy the city, and the NPCs blame you, accuse you of stealing, if you stay long you end up for attacking you ...

That is a serious bug, because you can not stay long in a city on one of those planets.

The community does many mods, but there are not many mods to fix bugs, at least serious bugs, if Chucklefish is waiting for someone to solve this error, it will not happen xD