1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Improved Swim Physics! v13

Reworks Starbound's swim engine!

1. Sock_Bunny

Sock_Bunny Existential Complex

Sock_Bunny submitted a new mod:

Improved Swim Physics! - Reworks Starbound's swim engine!

Read more about this mod...

2. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Sweet! Going to try it out tonight with FU and see if anything major is an issue. From the description though, you make it sound like you'll not go down at all unless down is pressed. Is there at least some sinking involved? Also, what does the jump key do now besides jumping out of the liquid? I'm assuming it defaults to up for now but meh... perhaps I'll be surprised with a faster swim speed in whatever direction if jump key is held.

Sock_Bunny likes this.
  3. Sock_Bunny

ohh, I could probably make it swim faster when jump is held :D
    Right now, you gotta be holding up and jump to jump out of the liquid. You won't sink down unless you have some momentum, so even if you slowly walk into some water, you'll sink a tiny bit. But you'll still sink a lot if you dive into it :D

4. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Alright, a couple of things.

1. Though the initial idea is very good, the actual swimming mechanics themselves is horribly slow and may need a bit of tweaking. It's like being in zero-g but without the gradual increase in speed and without any continual momentum, which is good for the momentum part, but being as slow to move in water as you are in a vacuum is not quite right. Even with several speed increases I'm only getting a very minimal actual movement boost.

I propose that it be made that your character act as if in a zero-g environment, but have their movement influence be more substantial and add a gradual decrease in overall momentum while in liquids if not pressing any movement buttons. It goes without saying that swim speed boosts should also have a more noticeable effect as well. This should make movement more smooth and fluid dynamics a bit more realistic without having to worry about things like buoyancy.

2. Your mod doesn't quite work across all liquids. It works as it should in water and erchius, and even organic soup and blood from frackin universe, but not poison and a couple of others for whatever strange reason. I don't know how this is coded, but having it include everything except for zero-g that makes your character go into the swimming animation or idles would go a long way.

3. This also affects npcs, now while that should be the case IMO, they animate as if swimming but in reality they're still just walking along on the floor of whatever body of water they're in at the same speed as they'd usually do. I don't know if that was your intention to affect npcs as well, but if it was I'd propose including a modification to npc AI to have them go through the same swimming physics and try to pathfind their way to air.

I very much like the idea of this mod but it could be a lot better if given some extra love.

Sock_Bunny likes this.
  5. Sock_Bunny

Okay :D
    I changed it to only effect players. But I can't really make it work with poison without it being incompatible with MP servers ;-;
    I'm working on making the swim speed faster, like, right now. I'm totally typing with 2 keyboards, and I totally didn't have this post half-written so I could post it right after I get the thingy to work and right after I pause Game Grumps PMTTYD
    Right now, I'm working on the swim boost buffs :D

Thank you for your feedback :3

6. Sock_Bunny

Sock_Bunny updated Improved Swim Physics! with a new update entry:

Swim faster! REALLY faster!

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Much better! A shame on the poison and similar liquids thing, would like to have it affect all liquids but I guess you can't have everything in the world.

Sock_Bunny likes this.
  8. Khioni

Khioni Pangalactic Porcupine

upload_2018-6-30_12-34-47.png
    Alien monsters seem to glitch out, freezing up and floating when they fall into water with this installed. Likely effects every other liquid that this mod effects.
    Maybe you could make an add-on mod for those that would much rather use it in singleplayer and therefore wouldn't have to worry about MP server compatibility?

Sock_Bunny likes this.
  9. Sock_Bunny

I think the newest version (6) should fix the monsters freaking out :eek:

I'll make an add-on for the poison, though :D

EDIT: I'm not gonna make an add-on. Instead, I'll FORCE it to work on multiplayer! :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Khioni likes this.
  10. Khioni

Khioni Pangalactic Porcupine

If v6 should fix it, then maybe it's a glitch with FrackinUniverse as it seems like they change the AI.

Sock_Bunny likes this.
  11. Sock_Bunny

12. Sock_Bunny

maybe ;-; I'll look into it later :eek:

13. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

which file should I modify to change the swimming speed
    ?
    cause it's slow even though u updated the speed

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Sock_Bunny likes this.
  14. Sock_Bunny

/stats/effects/swimming/swimmingstatuseffect

Try changing "liquidForce"?

15. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

what about liquidForce in the humanoid.patch?

16. Sock_Bunny

Try making it lower to swim faster

17. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Please add FU support.

Sock_Bunny and Khioni like this.
  18. Sock_Bunny

Okay :D I'm starting now

19. Sock_Bunny

OH! Sorry! I misread your questions!
    Change the one in humanoid.patch for the default swimming speed, and the swimboost ones for the speed when you have swim boost.
    sorry ;-;

20. Sock_Bunny