1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Missing/Corrupt Save File Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MaxMustBeUnique

MaxMustBeUnique Intergalactic Tourist

I recently got a back up drive for my computer, but in the process of moving things over, I somehow messed up my game files. Stardew is the only game I want to recover because I've put so much of my life into this game. Please, can someone help me recover my file? It means so, so much to me. I've tried following the steps but I'm not very good with computers. My game files also show up with no hair and no time played. Please help

Attached Files:

• Blorp

Blorp Big Damn Hero

This save loads fine for me. What you described sounds like what happens when a beta (1.3) game is used with non-beta (1.2). Follow the beta instructions to make sure you have the beta selected, and if it already was, use the "verify integrity of game files" on the local files tab in the Steam properties. That should restore the co-op button on the main menu, and your save should work again then.

• Jenny1208

Jenny1208 Space Hobo

Hey Guys,

Ich really hope you can help me out,
        I got the same problem like "Luka KLLP" in 2016 with the save files,
        I quote: "
        Following your steps, it seems my "SaveGameInfo" file is corrupt. However, I don't have another character, so how do I fix this :p (I tried using the _old save game info file, but that didn't work)

EDIT 1: I downloaded a fresh SaveGameInfo file from this thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-fix-corrupted-save-files-tutorial.110048/

and the game still crashes when I click "LOAD" on the main menu. So perhaps this isn't the problem?

EDIT 2: I can't start a new game either, the game crashes when trying to Save. Surely a little more is going on here than a corrupt SaveGameInfo file?

EDIT 3: Even when I delete my save entirely from the saves folder and replace it with a brand new one from the aforementioned thread, it still crashes. (it also placed the deleted save back in the saves folder for some reason)" End of the quote.

In hope that someone will still take a look in this forum and can maybe help me =)

p.s. my Upload file does nit have an allowed extension, I really don`t know why, maybe cuz there are more than 45 Hours of playing on the save file...

p.p.s thanks for your help in advance =)

• _Keru_

_Keru_ The Court

Please upload your current save files as a zip and we'll have a closer look.

• Jenny1208

Jenny1208 Space Hobo

thanks for the quick reply here all safe files.

Hans and Jenny are running but I got problems with the char named Max, there I got more than 45 Hours of gaming...

I reallly hope you can help me out =)

Attached Files:

• _Keru_

_Keru_ The Court

The save files are working for me - no errors loading them. I skipped one day and saved again, maybe that'll do... If it's still not working please add your error logs as well.

Attached Files:

• Jenny1208

Jenny1208 Space Hobo

Thank you for your help so far, now I got the Blackscreen with the loading Icon in the left down corner, but then the game closes instantly, how can I see my Error log?

And I got no gametime and 500G in the savegameinfo, thats no prob. for me, but it still doesn`t work =(

• Blorp

Blorp Big Damn Hero

This indicates you are using a 1.3 save with 1.2. Make sure beta is still selected in the Steam properties (you may need to enter the jumpingjunimos code again to let you select it), then run the "verify integrity of game files" on the local files tab. This should fix it and restore your 1.3 (with co-op on the main menu).

_Keru_ likes this.
                  • Jenny1208

Jenny1208 Space Hobo

Yeah!! Thank you so much Keru and Blorp, the last tip did it!!! I can now play my game again thank you both sooooooo much =) =) =) =)

• _Keru_

_Keru_ The Court

• XPsychoticPandaX

XPsychoticPandaX Space Spelunker

I cant believe i lost my game i spent 135 hours on it ans its just gone :avalicry::cry:

• lugubriousrose

lugubriousrose Space Hobo

Hello, I just wanted to thank you for your answer. I was having the same problem as MaxMustBeUnique and I thought my game was gone. But turns out I just got opted out of the beta somehow. I never even thought to check. Thanks so much!

• OrchardPine

OrchardPine Void-Bound Voyager

My game files aren't corrupt, but I'm missing the "SaveGameInfo" file and when I tried to just rename it to go back a day it still doesn't show up in game. As well when I check the file after closing the game the files I renamed are changed back to "SaveGameInf_0ld". So then I tried just replacing the missing file with a new character
                          "SaveGameInfo" file, but there was no duplicate in the load game. I don't know what do now... Could someone take a look at the save please?

Attached Files:

• Blorp

Blorp Big Damn Hero

I renamed the "SaveGameInfo_old" that was in your zip to "SaveGameInfo", and your save loaded for me. Try doing that?
                            It may help to move any other save folders (especially copies of this save) out of the "Saves" folder to somewhere else, so they don't cause a problem.

• OrchardPine

Ok. I just tried again, but every time it doesn't show up in game. As well when I go back to look at the files everything I have removed from "Saves" is placed back in the folder and reverted back to before as if I changed nothing. I tried just deleting the copies, but the files are always back once I've opened the game. Its like I've changed absolutely nothing? Also just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, as well there was an update, and still nothing. Thanks for trying the save though.

I didn't have these problems until I hosted a game and then my load game section is just mysteriously unreadable? Also the hosted game appeared in the load game section. I deleted both since I didnt want the hosted game.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

@OrchardPine -- If you are using Steam, cloud saves may be overwriting what you have locally. Try launching the game first, and then deleting/replacing files while the main menu is up.

OrchardPine likes this.
                                • Blorp

Blorp Big Damn Hero

Or make a copy of the whole Saves folder, then disable Steam cloud for this game ("Updates" tab in the game properties).

• Jazz0423

Jazz0423 Space Hobo

I play on a mac and one day my save file wouldn't work at all... Does anyone know how to fix this?

Attached Files:

• Blorp

Blorp Big Damn Hero

See my post a bit further up (here).

• OrchardPine

Thank you <3 @MouseyPounds and @Blorp , opened steam and went to the updates tab, turned off steam cloud sync then edited the folder and the game was able to read the files. Really did not want to abandon the save.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018